5.0 out of 5 stars deep research/deep insight
Published on 17 Oct 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars tripe
I found this book disappointing and unreadable.She should have stuck to what she does really really well, which is writing excellent books about knitting.
Published 7 months ago by Bovril

5.0 out of 5 stars deep research/deep insight, 17 Oct 1998
This review is from: The Crone (Paperback)
Barbara G. Walker has brought her incredible fund of scholarship to our astounded attention once more. Exploring ancient writings, making connections, illuminating our ancient past and current woes, the author has created a masterful work that explains so many, many things. This is a must read for everyone, and a work that will be cherished by thinking women over 40, yet men probably need to read this book more than women do... The linguistic revelations are especially striking.
It all comes together in The Crone. But be warned, don't read this book unless you're willing to be intellectually challenged vis a vis religion, language, anthropology, and feminism.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, insightful book which spans the ages of woman, 27 Sep 1998
This review is from: The Crone (Paperback)
Don't let the title dissuade you. This wonderful book is not only about older women who have reached the age of wisdom, it is about all women, across all generational boundaries. Many books of the feminist / spiritual genre provide an adequate context for the Goddess, but Walker's book truly gave me an entirely new way to look at my mothers, my friends, and myself. But most wonderfully, Walker provided me with a context for understanding the incomprehensible -- namely the senseless malice projected by so many men, onto the women they purportedly love. This book gave me comfort, nourishment, and relit the fire in my belly. I cannot recommend it too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous book about Women, 9 April 1998
This review is from: The Crone (Paperback)
It seems that the males who discriminate against women simply because they are older, more mature, and better able to cope with life are actually just sexist bigots. While older women have traditionially been considered sources of wisdom (including knowledge of sexuality), males have tried to usurp this traditional status with sexism, cowardice, and deceit. It is a relief to find so good a book on the subject. As feminists everywhere question, implicate, and overthrow the white male patriarchal agenda of hatred, older women will be able to regain their proper status as matriarchs.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book that changed my life, 25 May 2010
This is a serious book for the serious reader. It does not pull punches. It is the only book of the whole "goddess/crone" genre that genuinely and deeply affected me. It was a book that changed my life and attitude without ever setting out to do so. Each time I read, I understand more and change more and then bring these changes back to my next reading. Do not bother reading this book if (1) you do not want to change and (2)you only like "nice, sweet, all loving, tweety birds". This book asks you to accept the rawness and power of the feminine i.e. all of woman not just the "nice or acceptable" bits. The crone energy is greatly missing from our current society and troubles, she needs to come back.

1.0 out of 5 stars tripe, 27 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book!, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Crone (Paperback)
This book arrived okay. I am now reading it and enjoying it so far, an interesting read and a different perspective on how one is perceived as woman and how we perceive our selves.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Crone, 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Crone (Paperback)
A good read and the author had some good points. There were a few inaccuracies eg the number of people put to death by the Inquisition was not 9 Million, modern research suggests it was more like 2,500.

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of hate., 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Crone (Paperback)
As a rational thinking individual, I was bouncing between disbelief and hilarity on reading this book.
I agree totally that there have been apalling wrongs (sp?) perpetrated on wonan kind but I was hoping here to read a positive book on 'The Crone' and her place in history and society, not a bilious, questionably referenced diatribe on the evils of men.

ARRAY(0xadc772b8)

The Crone
The Crone by Barbara G. Walker (Paperback - 1 Feb 1991)
10.44