5.0 out of 5 stars the best book I have ever bought, 29 April 2005
Cleona Wallace "cleonawallace" (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
Given that I am the daughter of a librarian (and hence love books and buy far too many) my title may communicate the love I feel for this book. I also work as a tour guide in Rome and so have read countless books on paganism, christianity and both ancient and Renaissance history, but none have touched me in the way that this book has.
Whatever mood I am in, however much time I have to spare, I dip into this book and always come away feeling changed by the experience. Although some reviews suggest that it is pro-women and a feminist text I would disagree - I think that it expresses also how men too have suffered in terms of identity over the past 2000 years. If anything I would say that it is anti the Roman church - something which anyone who knows a lot about this history of the church would have to agree with.
It really is the perfect book for anyone with an interest in history, religion, mythology, feminism and symbolism. If I became enormously rich I would make sure that a copy of THIS BOOK were in every hotel room around the world! I believe that the secrets which this book tells should be taught in schools and brought to the attention of everyone.
I know this seems overly emphatic but I just cannot express eloquently enough the importance and enormity of this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute requirement, 29 Aug. 2004
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
It's been almost 20 years since I first read Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets and I still frequently take it down from my bookshelf. Unapologetically female-biased, it's a must -read for feminists, mythologists and lovers of history. You could say it's an absolute requirement for all women.
This big book holds an incredible amount of information about myths, symbols, womens' role in ancient cultures, origins of common words and customs, fairy tales, gods, goddesses, beliefs and religious motifs. It is, after all, an encyclopedia

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 5 May 2009
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
Superbly researched, intelligent, and with a delightfully ironic take on the embarrassing convolutions of patriarchal versions of religion.

As other reviewers put it so well: "So absorbing I got utterly lost in it for hours and hours" and "This encyclopedia documents the subversion of global matriarchal cultures. It is immaculately well-referenced, much more so than the contrived versions of history that have been force-fed to us" and "a celebration of womanhood ... and an objective description and comparison of the assorted mythological deities worshipped over the millennia; what people believed - and how so many beliefs are mirrored in different cultures - different names, same stories."

5.0 out of 5 stars The goddess in you, 15 Aug. 2003
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
It is very interesting to read if you treat it as a fiction of the past, but it is a very rich and useful reference to have for understanding the goddess in you!! It is not about the Ultimate feminist view and power, it is about being who you are and how to perceive that for yourself through the different aspects of the 'Goddess' in the different cultures, if you choose to(which I do!). The myths are fascinating, the secrets make a kind of sense that you maybe suprised by how accurate it is applicable for day to day lives nowadays!! It is about understanding the feminine self that is inside you - this is a book that I recommend to both male and female readers, if they are interested!
P.S. It goes really well with the encyclopaedia about Sacred objects and symbols, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've ever been called a w**re, witch or other names, this is for you!, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
Expansive range of information in this book, I want to leave it somewhere for other women to enjoy. It shows just how loved we truly were. Made me want to do more research, as some info was quite amazing, for example info on menstrual blood, witches, whores, Lilith. Plus, it's so big and hefty you can swing it your handbag and use it as self defence.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 27 July 2010
Mr. R. J. Macleod "replicant" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
A book full of history and wisdom that chronicals the ancient goddess with over 200 references. I was shocked to learn that the Medusa was Athena, that Aphrodite was more than a love goddess and Lilith was Ishtar. That for over a 1000 years man has turned Mother Earth into a mortal,monster and victim. ie Eve,Pandora ect. Amust have read for any historian or scholar.Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars closer to the Goddess, 26 July 2006
E. Hulme (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
my literature teacher recommended me this, knowing my inquisitiveness toward anything pagan, pro feminist and historical. i found that this book has helped me on the path of Goddess worship and has left a bitter taste in my mouth toward the Roman Church. i recommend this for ALL woman of any religion because this encyclopedia brings to light the truths that were never included in his-story and that which should be included in her-story! I simply cannot express how essential this book is for anybody who is interested in the Goddess or is already on the path of worship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 24 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
I've been reading this book bit by bit, and it is fascinating. Of course, it's also left me far more jaded, but it really is interesting to find out the origins of so many modern practices.Everyone needs to read this

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Women's Research, 9 Feb. 2013
AJ Thomson (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
Barbara G. walker overturns myths about myths and is able to show this researcher how the monotheisms of Christianity, Islam and Judaism have led to a misuse of male power over centuries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 19 Feb. 2013
Arne Gunnarsjaa (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (Paperback)
For persons interested in history and the oldest history: i.e. myths, this is an obligatory book, and from an entirely new angle.

The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets
The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets by Barbara G. Walker (Paperback - 1 Jan. 1987)