5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Jung and dream work, 25 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Inner Work: Using Dreams & Active Imagination for Personal Growth: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth (Paperback)
Johnson introduces key concepts of Jungian analysis, like archtype, animus/a etc. and explains how dreams actually work. He then gives a very clear four step guide how to interprete your own dreams and give them meaning in your everyday life. He gives many fascinating and illustrative examples for each step, thus making it easy for the reader to start working on his/her own. The book clothes with an equally fascinating section on imaginative journeys. Very interesting and instructive and a joy to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inner work is on the ball, 20 May 2009
I cannot agree with the review below that Inner Works approach is boring - far from it - this book is a classic - and should be read by anybody that wants a grounded approach to understanding their psyche - there is nothing new age here - if you are into "channeling" and other things sensational then this maybe is not for you - this reviewer below is judging this book based on her own agenda which Inner work was never meant to fulfill - Inner work helps us to have the containment and grounded perspective required not to identify with any of the content of mind that we might encounter - if you want to equip yourself with the tools needed to navigate the complexities of your inner world - this is the rudder that will help you stay on course to your true home - and counters the susceptibility to "fascination" that we are all prone to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working with dreams, 11 Jun 2009
D. M. Mccrae (Scotland) - See all my reviews
If you are interested in Spirituality or transpersonal psychology and are ready to explore your inner life then this is a very useful book . It gives a methodology for exploring dreams which is clear and focussed on bringing out your own unique insight into your own dream material. For that type of inner work, this is as good as I have found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best self-help book I have read., 31 Aug 2012
After possibly upwards of a hundred of purchases from Amazon, I feel compelled to write my first review. This book was recommended to me by my therapist as he had suggested that I may benefit from working with my unconscious in a healthier, more integrated way - instead of the sporadic use of enthogens that I had always hoped would lead me to a better understanding as to whom I am as a person. Truth be told, prior to reading this book, I had always imagined any kind of "dream work" as somewhat "phoney" and I wasn't really prepared to look into my own dreams to see what may I find. However, I decided to purchase this book out of curiosity.

And man, am I glad I did..

I feel this book has given me the tools to explore my inner world; a world that is far richer than I had ever imagined. It is still early days for me but I am starting to see glimpses of the personal growth that can be accomplished with the techniques Johnson suggests in his book. Johnson writes in a clear, easy to follow nature, with a touch of humour along the way.

For anyone interested in looking at the hidden messages in their dreams, as well as communicating with hidden parts of their unconscious through Active Imagination, I highly recommend this book.

I for one will be rereading this book, as well as purchasing further titles by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should know about this, 28 Aug 2012
I haven't finished this yet but I already know my life will be different from now on, just by acknowledging that all of those feelings and emotions that seem to come from nowhere have a reason and need understanding has set me on another path. This is an easily accessable version of Jungs methods of dream analysis and active imagination and the author takes you step by step through both of them in a clear and concise way. I really wish I had known this stuff a long time ago and it just seems incredible that in a world filled with unhappy, obsessed, repressed, troubled people that this isn't a universally used process. My only warning would be that this wont be an easy thing to master, especially active imagination which I'm pretty sure is going to take years to get the hang of but I think it will be worth it in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical and informative, 22 Mar 2013
I loved this book, it has opened many new doorways into my own personal and spiritual journey. I highly recommend this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting to know me, 2 May 2014
Brilliant overview of Jung's work, that I've been meaning to check out since the 1970s. Not all that easy to read though

5.0 out of 5 stars A doorway to our secret and forgotten resource, 23 April 2014
If you are a seeker after the meaning of existence, or your true nature, this is probably one of the most valuable aids you will come across to help you in your quest. Admittedly it rested on my bookshelf a long time and there were a number of false starts that led to nothing, but this is a book whose time will come for you. Buy it and don't worry if it doesn't immediately speak to you. It is one of the wisest guides to the inner world we all possess and inhabit, our dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 19 April 2013
Very interesting and informative book. Easy to read and it really does help you learn to understand how to explore the feeling and symbols in your dreams. I also recommend He, She, We, and Owning your own Shadow.

5.0 out of 5 stars This "stuff" really works!, 6 Jun 2011
This little book sets you on a path of true inner discovery which then leads to outer change.As ever,Robert Johnson mixes his vast experience in working with clients with personal stories and theory.It's a winning and attractive combination.He never comes across as preaching but plays the role of gentle mentor and guide brilliantly.The wonder of this work is that he takes the reader by the hand and leads them into the unconscious mind.He presents his own structure for working with subpersonalities or parts which have been hidden in the deep unconsious,neglected and starved of creative expression.The starting point is a recurring feeling,irritation or sense of being blocked.By staying present to this instead of avoiding it,the subpersonality can be evoked and contacted.It usually has a message for you if you're willing to dialogue.Usually,on hearing this message,you feel immediatey different;it's an "aha "moment.Then ,if you find ways to allow the part into your life,the problem issue will melt away.You'll discover that you are much more creative and resourceful than you thought you were.
The guided imagery/visualisation techniques can be practiced anywhere.