Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Katie is a really sweet person, although that seems like a bland and boring description of her personality. She is one of those people whose innate kindness and compassion are like the beam from a lighthouse guiding people towards her. It also helps that she is absolutely gorgeous without being vain.

Katie has lived her life following the rules her domineering mother laid out for her, always trying to please others rather than herself. However, she gets a dramatic wake-up call when she receives a wedding invitation from her cheating scumbag of an ex. Prompting her to make a list of rebellious regrets.

Chase has always seen himself as the stereotypical bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks. Lack of maternal nurturing has left an emotional void in his life, he has been burned to many times to trust that he can be viewed as anything more than a good time. He doesn’t see his own value, although he is an accomplished tattoo artist and comic book author. His emotional barriers prevent him from forming a deep connection as he doesn’t feel good enough, especially for Katie – the town golden girl.

Catching Katie in a vulnerable moment while creating her rebellious regrets list draws Katie and Chase together. As Katie embarks on a journey of self-discovery (although slightly unwittingly) Chase becomes her rock. Neither expects the depth of feeling that quickly develops – the soul-mate principle ;) Unfortunately, both Katie and Chase are too nervous and scared of rejection to voice their feelings adding to the angst within the narrative.

Although the romance is a large part of the story, it is Katie’s character development that is the focus of the plot. I loved seeing her blossom into the woman she should be rather than the one people expect her to be. At no point does she lose her compassion and kindness but she does gain the ability to be assertive.

I have got to mention the amazing fashion (rockabilly style that I completely adore) and female bonding that weaves its way through the narrative adding to the enjoyment of the story as a whole.

Another aspect that stood out was the way in which Codi Gary portrayed the pros and cons of life in a small community; the lack of privacy versus the strong support system.

On the whole Things Good Girls Don’t Do is a light, feel-good romance with charismatic characters fueled by girl-power.
on 22 April 2014
It was a while ago that I read this book so forgive me my brief review but I can't believe that no one else has reviewed it yet! I can be fussy about books that start off slow and I can't get into the characters quickly however this book had me hooked from the start about the good girl who always wants to do the right thing. The characters were good, believable and I could empathise with Katie and her reasons for how she behaves. I don't want to give anything away but give this book a read I'm sure you will enjoy it!