1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars An idiot heroine, old fashioned 'values' and religious undertones, 10 July 2013
Also, not really as described in the synopsis - which says that she steals his lucky charm after a one night stand. Actually, she drugs him after "getting her slut on" to attract him (in an old t-shirt and jeans, oddly) and then steals his cross necklace (clearly the implication is that he's a good Christian boy *really*). I was expecting a sexy one night stand and I got her drugging an athlete, which I find pretty out of order on many levels. She's also being manipulated by his ex-wife, who is so much a cartoon villain she might as well fade to black laughing whohaha, whohahaha!

The heroine repeatedly says that she needs to get her brains back (they've gone to mush because the hero is soooo wonderful). She's entirely right - she acts like a brain dead plot puppet the whole way through. She doesn't tell the hero about the reason she wants to steal his necklace because - reasons. She believes the obviously lying and portrayed as unstable ex-wife because - reasons. She even stays locked in the hero's house (yes, really, he locks her in his house. Which clearly has no fire windows or any basic safety regulations like that.). She has sass for brains, (the word brains is used *alot*) if by sass we mean cotton wool.

The hero is no better. He suddenly believes that Lorelei is his lucky charm and instead of calling the police (logical reaction to being drugged and robbed) he takes her home with him. Right. And instead of sitting and having a lucid conversation, his dick is stirring in his pants the whole time.

I'm not going to go into the small-town-America morals (the brother is very 'protective' of his adult sister, as in, she can't go upstairs with a man. WTF?), or the way that Lorelei implicitly slut shames, or that Mark calls her a whore because she stole from him and *didn't sleep with him*, or that Mark is furious when he thinks Lorelei is married and kissed him (not because of them, but because she'd've been cheating), or that Mark is a good boy because he was a virgin before he married (normally I love a male virgin, but this just came across as preachy). I won't even comment on that stack of s***.

Overall, I'm totally bemused about why anyone acts the way they do in this book. It's all quite weird. They do blindingly stupid things to keep the plot going. I suppose that's why they do them anyhow, as no sane adult would act that way.

Don't even ask me why I bought this. It was cheap and I wanted something to read. I think it's temporary insanity brought on by waiting for Courtney Milan's next book. Dear Author didn't warn me about all the WTF that was contained herein. I'm off to buy something by Sarah Mayberry to calm down. Lesson learned. Until next time.

Stealing Home: A Diamonds and Dugouts Novel
Stealing Home: A Diamonds and Dugouts Novel by Jennifer Seasons (Mass Market Paperback - 30 April 2013)