Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 January 2014
This book goes much further than just busting the myths about the "eat less, exercise more" treadmill that fails us over and over.... It also opens up the way to a new reality of lasting natural health and fitness, based on the scientific facts about how our bodies actually work. Jonathon Bailor deserves a Nobel Prize for the decade and more he has devoted to sifting through the deep science to bring us the truth, presented here in a clear way that is a joy to read. And it is all distilled into a Five Week Plan that anyone can implement. A true labour of love ... and I love it! Thank you, Jonathon.
on 18 May 2014
I only read this as it was mentioned on a blog by Dr. Briffa whose other books I'd enjoyed. I made it through but it was a little tougher than I expected as the style is very "American" which grated with me, but most of the content was good. The balance between the actual science & the quasi science sometimes weighs too heavily on the quasi, but generally good points, well made & enough of it has stuck for me to keep checking the "sane" levels of my food so it can't be all bad. Personally, I didn't need the recipes, but some may like them. However, the exercise regimes were very good, simple & effective (it would seem).

An interesting read with simple strategies to understand your body & weight loss/gain.
on 22 February 2014
This is the claim of the author Jonathan Bailor, former US college footballer and now IT manager. His claim is that if you eat more natural wholesome food you will clear your body's 'hormonal clog' and will lower its target weight and 'set point'. He also provides a 20-minute per week albeit very tough resistance workout to further unclog your hormones. I've read a lot of exercise books and this is something quite new- which in all fairness you could do at home.
The book will involve you starting a love affair with vegetables and divorcing all grain-based and starchy food. Jonathan does acknowledge that some people are vegetarian or even vegan, which is a refreshing change.
The book does have an evangelistic and prescriptive tone to it, but it's backed by numerous research examples.
Rather than follow his programme I've adopted some of the principles in the book and have experienced significant fat loss.
It's worth a read. If you re prepared to change your dietary habits you could experience hunger free permanent fat loss and well sing
on 11 May 2014
Like just about every other book on nutrition, the calorie myth encourages people to eat more natural foods and to stop eating crap. This book goes a step further though and explains the importance of lowering the metabolic set point for long term weight loss and I think that this is where this book shines.

By taking an approach based on hormones, weight loss is achieved in a way that is healthy and sustainable.

There is enough science to give the advice credibility but not so much that you get bogged down by it.

My only criticism of the calorie myth, is that the exercise portion of the book, for me, was overly simplistic. And whilst we are encouraged to eat in a way that is natural, the weights program is far from natural. 'Negative' reps have their place but I have yet to see anyone produce anything close to a decent physique using this protocol for only 10 mins a week. (And I've worked in a gym that had negative machines exclusively)!

That aside, I would highly recommend this book
on 16 January 2014
I have been reading this book flat out since it arrived this morning, I pre-ordered in december! I have been following Jonathan Bailor's Smarter Science of Slim program since October 2013. In the first month of eating more, and feeling fuller all day I lost 4 inches off my waist. This book explains how and why!
I am not some sort of serial book nerd / diet nerd / super fitness fanatic, this is my first ever book review - I am a 43yr old man who put a lot of weight on after leaving the military. I was eating what i considered to be generally healthy food - however the weight kept piling on. This book explains why the whole popular belief of what is healthy and what is unhealthy is a myth - hence the name of the book I suppose. Its not about the amount of calories you eat, its the quality of the calories. Why is 100 calories of cauliflower better than 100 calories of potato's? My resting heart rate has also dropped from 90bpm to around 60-65 bpm. I am assured this is going to reduce my risk of coronary heart disease.
This isnt selling a diet, its a healthy eating lifestyle - described as SANE. If you follow this you will lose weight without ever feeling hungry again. I sleep better, I feel better, I eat more, I eat more often, I still enjoy the occasional glass of wine. I recommend you read this book, make your own mind up - try it for a month you WILL feel better - I did (and still do)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 October 2015
This book presents a lot of useful information about why calories are not all the same, which many authors have written about in recent years (I think the first general-public book on the topic was Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories), explaining why it's not enough to eat less and exercise more to lose weight. Bailor also explains the set point theory, which tells how one's body weight stays around a certain range as homeostasis prevents us from losing weight, or from gaining too much. And as many have pointed out recently, it's the US government's food pyramid of 1980, which told us to eat more carbs and less fat, that could be the main cause of the obesity epidemic.

But when he gets deeper into his ideas, things get a bit unclear. He says that our bodies get "clogged," but never explains what clogs them. He says that his diet "unclogs" the body, without saying how. And when he talks about carbs, he makes some very serious mistakes. His diet is essentially a no-carb diet (with the exception of those carbs that come from vegetables, nuts, legumes, and fruits.) He abhors grains of any kind, saying that mankind has not eaten grains for much of its history. This is balderdash, of course. People didn't start eating grains in 1980, or even in the 20th century; grains - bread, rice, etc. - have been staple foods for thousands of years, and the agricultural revolution that led to the expansion of population, and the growth of cities, was all about providing grains and root vegetables, which are essentially ways of storing energy.

So Bailor's answer to the problem of weight, or obesity, is to eat lots of vegetables, protein, and fat, and eschew grains and starches almost entirely. This is not only impractical, but it's not the way humans have eaten for a very long time. Bailor is essentially proposing a tweaked paleo diet, which is complicated, and involves a great deal of expensive foods. And he advocates this not just to lose weight, but as a long-term diet. Good luck with that.
on 26 January 2014
This is the second book I read of Jonathan Bailor. I was recommended by my friend and now I'm recommending to all my friends. It's a great information and very easy to follow. It covers everything and explaining very clear about all the myths been created.
I'm a personal trainer and been working by this system for last few years and getting amazing results. But was always hard to introduce different system cos everyone believes in myths of calories and training for hours.
This book proves everything !
on 12 January 2014
After losing a stone in 3 months by exercising, calorie counting and following the traditional advice I hit a plateau. I was some way off my target weight hungry and lethargic. So I upped the exercise with a 3 month high intensity exercise DVD programme. I managed to lose another stone which was less than I expected and was constantly starving. The more exercise I did the more I ate. Something needed to change as I had more to lose but importantly I wanted something that would keep it off. I discovered the Smarter Science of Slim podcast by Jonathan Bailor and the SANE and eccentric principles within. Finally some clear guidance about what to eat, backed by science. Following the whole foods found in nature principles with lean meat and fish I managed to drop 2 stone in 4 months without ever being hungry. By massively reducing the amount of refined sugars and grains I eat I no longer get hungry a couple of hours after eating and from the science in the book I know why.
on 5 February 2015
A great read and introduction in to the biology of our body and how we process food, the only downside is that I feel that it repeats itself a lot and goes on for quite some time when I really just want to jump in and find out what I should be eating and how much. Also the recipes seem quite complex. Would rather just a list of all foods on one page where I can easily just pick what to eat.
on 4 January 2014
Having listened to the smarter science of slim podcast for the last while, I was unsure if this book would have any further information than Jonathan had already provided through the podcast. Was I wrong! The book is a fantastic read. It is full of scientific references to studies conducted around the fields of human nutrition and diet, and psychology. The concepts while complex are broken down and simplified so that any casual reader is not confused but enlightened and more importantly armed with the knowledge and tools to take control of their own diet and lifestyle. Jonathan's concept of SANE is radical in that it is such a departure from the mainstream government recommendations on nutrition and diet, but yet in reality, is just a call to bring us back to way that men/women have eaten since the dawn of creation. Eat real foods that are found in nature, eat delicious, nutritious foods, with no calorie counting, no analysing of macro/micro nutrients, is such a simple yet brilliant approach. Would I recommend. Absolutely. If anyone wants to take control of their diet and more importantly their overall health, then this is a book you need to buy, read, digest and follow. If you only buy one book on diet and lifestyle, then this should be it. Having struggled with my own weight for years, I am now seeing the results I need, I do not feel deprived but feel energised, satisfied and fulfilled. Amazing!!!!