TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 September 2014
I debated whether or not to read this after reading some negative reviews on it. I was a fan of this authors earlier books but in the last few years her stories have disappointed. I decided to give this one a try after reading and enjoying the sample.

Blake amused me! He's a typical bachelor. He's not into kids or marriage. When he meets the 5 year old girl Charlotte from next door he's a little rude to her but I found it funny. When he then meets her mother Natalie, he's attracted to her. Blake is an ex Navy SEAL and a recovering alcoholic. He hasn't been clean that long and alcohol is still a temptation for him but then he starts to be tempted by Natalie.

Natalie's ex husband embezzled money and after years of them trying for a baby when she finally conceived he left and was later caught and put in prison for the embezzlement. He had also told Natalie she was 'boring'. Natalie hasn't dated much in the last five years but she is attracted to Blake but she knows he's a commitment phobe and if she does sleep with him, she knows she will just be a booty call.

Natalie's ex is due out of prison but I felt that part of the storyline was a bit weak. Natalie was a bit too forgiving and the story between the two seemed to be resolved too easily and even left me wondering if Ms Gibson has a novel planned for Michael the ex considering she made him such a reformed character.

It's a very predictable storyline and nothing new from the pen of Ms Gibson but I will say it's a vast improvement on her previous novels. I loved Blake's witty interactions with Charlotte and Natalie. However, I wasn't completely convinced that Natalie and Blake fell in love, the romance part of their story was too rushed to get that feeling. Of course there's the predicted 'fall out' but that was too weak and didn't last long enough and then I felt the ending was rushed and I was really disappointed there was no epilogue. There is a teaser for a new Novella coming out next year but it's not about this couple although there is a brief mention of them but I felt short changed on this story.

Definitely a big improvement and I liked it but will give it 3.5 stars due to the rushed ending which left me with the feeling 'is that it'?
on 8 January 2015
I reviewed a book a couple of weeks ago where I made this comment;
“Whether they are my beloved tattered paperbacks or in my favourites on the kindle there are a few authors who I have reread many times through the years no matter my changing tastes – two of these are Jennifer Crusie and Rachel Gibson – Jessica Prince has the same characteristics that I so adore in these two authors and ‘The Picking Up the Pieces’ Series has all the ingredients that make the Crusie and Gibson books so popular – friends, family, humour, chemistry and sex.”

Since I wrote that Crusie and Gibson have both been on my mind so I decided to take a look at her latest offering. Unfortunately I would have to say that this will not be a reread favourite like some of her earlier work, “Truly Madly Yours“ being my number one all time fave BUT it had all of those ingredients – friends, family, humour, chemistry and sex and was a thoroughly enjoyable read even if a tad predictable and had a feeling of déjà vu. There’s a film called “Hope Floats” that came to mind when reading (you’ll see why) that I’ll watch again and again because it makes me smile every damn time and Ms Gibson’s books always do the same.

Ex-high school cheerleader Natalie Cooper could once shake her pom-poms with the best of them. But she’s paid for all that popularity—her husband’s run off with what’s left of their money and a twenty-year-old bimbo named Tiffany. Leaving Natalie to manage a photo store and having to see some pictures she, well, really shouldn’t.

Then she comes toe-to-manly chest with Blake Junger. Exiled to a remote cabin in Truly, Idaho, Blake wants nothing to do with anyone. Instead, he’s determined to struggle with his demons and win—all on his own. But the last thing he needs is Natalie distracting him with her luscious curves and breaking down the barriers of his heart.

This is a no angst, no grief pure rom-com. Boy (surly alpha) meets girl (single mom), add in adorable child, even more adorable puppy, misunderstandings, mischief, interfering friends and family, lots of humour plus a dash of sex (ok, I’ll fess up, More than a dash!) and you’ve got a nice escape for a couple of hours with the added bonus of some loved previous characters in Truly showing up.

Deep and different? No

Light and fluffy, unicorns and rainbows? Yes and sometimes that’s what I want to read.
on 27 November 2014
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Rachel Gibson was one of the first authors I tried when I first got into contemporary romance. I swiftly devoured her back catalogue and as soon as I hear about a new book from her, it quickly goes on my 'Must Read' list.

What I Love About You will never be my favourite book of hers. After all the Hero is something of a sex-mad player with an alcohol addiction and as soon as he sees Natalie he has one single thought: getting her naked! Then there is Natalie's ex-husband Michael who you're never quite whether he's going to respect her wishes regarding custody of their daughter and the fact that she's never going to get back together with him.

Nevertheless, Blake, the hero won me over in the end, helped, no doubt, by Sparky the cute puppy the he and Natalie end up co-owning. He works through his issues and gets his priorities straightened out and ends up proving himself worthy of Natalie. Michael, the ex-husband, whilst he would never make it onto my list of swoonworthy guys,is bearable in the end, as is Charlotte, Natalie's daughter.

My favourite scene in the whole book is when Natalie goes over to Blake's house and, unbeknownst to her, ends up having an intimate conversation with his identical twin before fainting (incidentally, I wonder if she ever does end up pregnant - I feel like that was hinted at in that scene but never resolved).

A solid addition to Gibson's Truly, Idaho series.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Natalie Cooper has been through quite a lot in her life, but she has finally managed to settle down, together with her five-year-old daughter Charlotte. When Natalie found out she was pregnant, it was the happiest moment of her life, but her husband didn't quite agree. He turned out to have embezzled a lot of money and ran away from Natalie and their unborn child to start a new life with his 20-year-old girlfriend. Natalie hasn't focused on men since the whole debacle with her ex-husband, but this changes when brooding and handsome Blake Junger moves in next door. Blake is an ex-Navy SEAL who has come to Truly, Idaho to focus on his own issues and deal with his inner demons. He certainly doesn't plan on spending time with his new neighbours, until he meets Charlotte and her attractive mother Natalie, who manages to catch his attention and he knows he can't ignore the attraction between them, even if he wanted to...

'What I Love About You' is the third part of Rachel Gibson's Truly, Idaho series, but the book can definitely be read as a stand-alone. I have no idea what exactly happened in the other parts of the series, but there wasn't a moment while reading this novel when I felt like I was missing information or didn't understand what was going on. The book is a typical romance read when looking at the plot line and was quite predictable at times, but this didn't bother me. There is a cast of interesting characters; I really liked Natalie, the female protagonist, and Blake is a real alpha male which I expect numerous female readers will fall in love with. I would have liked to have learned more about the characters, because I did feel like the story stayed a bit on the surface instead of really diving into the characters' thoughts and emotions. The attraction between Natalie and Blake was great, though; I loved seeing them fall for one another and the sparks were impossible to ignore, which makes or breaks a romance novel, if you ask me.

I did some research on the book online and fans of Rachel Gibson's work seem to be torn about this particular book; some of them really liking it, some of them not so much. I personally quite enjoyed the book; it's an entertaining romance read with some hot and steamy scenes, and great to pick up if you just want to get away from real life for a couple of hours. I specifically liked Rachel Gibson's writing style and am looking forward to checking out more of her work in the future. Overall, 'What I Love About You' is a fast-paced, fun and easy-to-read romance novel; romance fans will not be disappointed if they decide to pick up this book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Natalie Cooper once had her ideal dream life. She was a cheerleader. She married the high school football hero. She had a wonderful child. She had a good house. But life changes, as Natalie found out the hard way. Her husband ran off with Tiffany and took all their money with him. Now Natalie wants nothing more than to be a good mother and keep the bill collectors away.

Operator First Class Blake Junger is retired from SEAL Team Six. Once a deadly sniper, Blake now wants to be left alone. That is why he has come to Truly, Idaho. As Blake tries to battle his demons, he cannot help from noticing the crazy locals – or Natalie next door.

***** FIVE STARS! Author Rachel Gibson has imagined up a wonderful town full of crazy, engaging, and lovable characters that are impossible to ignore. Her writing is intense – no matter the topic; be it love, heart ache, or even when being supportive to a dear friend or child. It is no wonder to me that Rachel Gibson is a Modern Contemporary Master. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews
on 7 September 2014
Although this is the 3rd book in the Truly series this is the first one that I have read which Is fine as I didn't feel that I had missed anything from previous books, it can be read as a stand alone.

I liked this book it was a good little read, it did seem to be more hot sex than a romance but the relationship between Blake and Natalie was ok.
What was awesome was the relationship Blake had with Natalie's daughter Charlotte, they were such cute friends.

What I did love about this book was the great scenes describing Blake doing his job, the missions he went on really carried this book for me.

I didn't like Michael and his mother at all, I think there characters were there to try and give the heroine a bit of conflict but it didn't really get pulled off. The situations seemed to just fizzle out and Michael took a step back and all was ok.

Over all a not too bad of a read to pass a couple of hours but nothing to keep you up reading long into the night.
on 11 October 2014
I love Rachel Gibson's books having only discovered them a couple of years ago so I had the benefit of being able to 'binge-read' everything she'd written to that point. Bliss! So you'll be surprised that I rated this only 4 stars - yes, its easy to read (Ms Gibson has the most readable style) and entertaining - but alas a bit boring. Sorry, but in comparison to the ice hockey stories (See Jane Score is my absolute favourite) this is a little hum-drum. The hero and heroine live in a small rural town, yes he's a sniper (not your average career) but that aside this couple is a bit too run of the mill to be the escapism that I love to read. I'm hoping for more Canucks!
on 3 January 2015
This was a story about a young single mum who ex husband cheated stole and is just getting released from prison. Her neighbour is an ex SEAL who doesn't want to be involved with children or single mums. However, throw in a cute dog share, persistent young child and you have these two getting their groove on. It's good read and touches upon PTSD, single parent situations.
on 8 September 2014
Read from library. Collected it 6.30pm after work tonight and finished now, 11.30pm. Just loved it. Author back to her best. Good storyline. Loads funny and tender moments and heat. Kept me gripped. No padding in my opinion. It flowed beautifully. (Michael called blake in middle of a scene)
on 16 March 2015
A really good/easy/light read. I do enjoy the fact that the characters are some of those that we have already met in previous RG books.