4.0 out of 5 stars So cute
Ah man I wish I read this sooner. It has been sitting on my kindle for nearly a year now but it wasn't until Amanda aka Book Badger (Link to her review) kept talking about it and how it was one of her favourite of the year that I decided to read it for myself.
And I've been kicking myself ever since for waiting this long.

While it reminded me a lot of This...
Published 10 months ago by Stacie @ Beautiful Bookish But...

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit rushed but still a cute contemporary
The distance between us follows Caymen Meyers and her observations of people, in particular rich people and their arrogant ways. This book was okay, I just wasn't completely thrilled with it. There were moments when I thought that it was cute and funny but mostly I was just underwhelmed by it.

To start with I didn't really click with the characters, Caymen...
Published 5 months ago by D Calvert

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars So cute, 30 May 2014
And I've been kicking myself ever since for waiting this long.

While it reminded me a lot of This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith (in no way as good haha) I still found myself devouring it in a day. It was just one of those books that once started, wouldn't leave your hand until it was done. For me, girly contemporary books were never my thing growing up. I loved fantasy the best, in books and films. But then I picked up a Sarah Dessen book and my likes changed from then, I had a new found appreciation for contemporary books and even though I have found some stinkers a long the way, I'm happy to say that I have found hidden gems too, The Distance Between Us being one of them.

For me, Caymen was not a hard character to like at all. Her sarcasm and dry humour made me warm to her instantly (my partner is the most sarcastic so and so you will ever meet and I guess you could say that being with him has in a way dulled my reaction to sarcasm) and I really liked how she would go out of her to do things that she didn't want to do because it would make things easier on her mum. Xander on the other hand was a character that I didn't love straight away but one who ended up being my favourite. The first time he and Caymen met I thought he was just an arrogant stuck up rich kid with too much money and time on his hands (not so much different to what Caymen though haha) but then when you start to see past those layers and realises he is the way he is because its all he's ever known, that its his parents that have all the money and he wants different things to his parents.

I loved the relationship between Caymen and Xander, it built up over time instead of being there one minuet. I've read too many YA contemporary books where the characters are at teach other throat one minuet and madly in love the next without any real development. But in The Distance Between Us, Caymen and Xander take their time to get to know one another. and while it is obviously a love story, it doesn't centre around the romance, its about both Caymen and Xander trying to better themselves and just being lucky enough to find love in the process.

The only thing I did not like about this book was the ending, I just thought the book would have been so much better if what happened didn't. I might be the only one who thinks it, but like I said, I just think the book would have been better off without it.

If you couldn't already tell, I loved this book. The characters were well thought out and it made me want to vomit with how sweet and gushy it was a times. It had me smiling from ear to ear and reminded me of some of my favourite books (in a good way). It is without a doubt worth a read for those who have a thing for contemporary, or if you are like how I was, it wouldn't be a bad book to start of with :)

4.0 out of 5 stars "His eyes are so intense I want to look away . . . or never look away, I can't decide.", 8 July 2013
I will freely admit that it was first the cover I was drawn to. I hadn't even read the synopsis and I knew I wanted to read it. Then I saw the blub and was thankful when it sounded like something I would enjoy. And, I'm happy to say I did enjoy it, but sadly I wasn't fully in love with it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the story... and by the end I was grinning from ear to ear. Overall I would describe it as 'cute'. I was fully involved in the story, and never once did I want to stop reading. In fact, I read it all in one sitting.

My favorite character was Xander. I wish this would have been dual point of view, I think the story could have used a a bit of time inside his head. Not that I disliked Caymen, I actually liked her quite a bit. I just feel it would have benefited from that back and forth. Caymen was actually quite funny. She has a wicked dry, sarcastic sense of humor that I clicked with right away.

"Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"

For a cute romance novel, there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing. It was pretty easy to figure one or two of them out, but there are still a couple that succeeded in keeping me on my toes. That was a pleasant surprise.

I'm not sure exactly what it was that made me not fall in love with it. The only thing I can really pin point is the timing of it all. Everything seems to run super quick. If there was meant to be the impression that more time passed than we actually got to see, it wasn't very clear. I am not a hater of 'insta love', but I felt it while reading The Distance Between Us. I just wanted more of a build up to their feelings.

The ending also seems quite abrupt. When I started it, I knew it was a one off so I expected there to be a nice rounded out ending. And even though it does end in a very happy place, I am left with a lot questions and worries for their happy ever after. I could easily see how there would need to be at least one more book. Yes the characters are happy with each other at the end, but there are more factors at play here than just Caymen and Xander. So yeah, I wish there would have been more to the ending, a promised second book or even an epilogue. Something to give an indication as to where these two are in the future.

Even though I didn't love it as much as I thought I would, I would still recommend it. Like I said, it was a quick easy read, and even though it left me with more questions at the end... it also left me with a big smile on my face.

"Caymen?"
"Yes?"
"You look terrified. Does this scare you?"
"More than anything."
"Why?"
"Because I didn't bring my mints."
"And now the real answer . . ."
"Because I'm afraid that once you catch me, the game's over."

Christine
Rainy Day Reads

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely contemporary read, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Distance Between Us (Paperback)
I have had this book waiting for me on my shelf for so long after I devoured Pivot Point by Kasie West last year. I was so excited to see this book rise up my TBR pile, because it’s Kasie West! After finishing Pivot Point, I thought to myself that Kasie would turn into one of my favourite writers.. and I wasn’t let down. I’d describe The Distance Between Us as a ‘cute’ read. It was a very endearing read.

The Distance Between Us follows the exceptionally sarcastic Caymen Meyers. Caymen has always believed that rich people are nothing like her. She’s always made fun of them with her mother. One day, the very rich Xander Spence walks into her mum’s doll shop. Immediately Caymen passes him off as another rich kid. She believes they have nothing in common. Xander has taken a liking to Caymen though, despite her sarcasm, he keeps coming back to her. Caymen begins to enjoy and look forward to his company, and realises she may have to reassess her views on rich people.

I just love our main protagonist Caymen. She must be one of the most sarcastic characters I’ve read in a while. I found her incredibly real and easy to relate to. I love how Kasie West has portrayed Caymen. Her humour is just fantastic. I often found myself laughing out loud at some of her retorts. I also enjoyed how strong Caymen was. She was practically not living her life, because of the support she was giving her mother in the shop. I loved how concerned Caymen was for her mother’s troubles. It showed a really lovely bond between the two. It is only when Caymen meets Xander, that she begins to live her own life.

Xander is an easily lovable romantic interest. I loved how Kasie didn’t make him like a typical ‘bad boy’ turned good. I don’t have much time for characters like that. Xander was funny and charming and developed nicely throughout the book. I liked knowing more about his story. His relationship with Caymen was believable. I was rooting for it to happen!

I’m so excited to find another favourite writer. The Distance Between Us is completely different to Pivot Point, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It proves how talented Kasie West is. This would be a perfect summer beach read, or even a cosy winter read by the fire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had me laughing and swooning for the whole thing, 26 Sept. 2013
What Occurs:

Caymen Meyers knows only one thing about rich people: they're nothing like her.
So when Xander Spence walks into her mother's doll shop, oozing his rich all over the place, Caymen knows instantly that they have nothing to talk about. After all, if it's one thing she's learned from her mother, it's that rich men have short attention spans. They lose interest. And they always leave.

Only, Xander doesn't. He keeps coming around, despite Caymen's dry humour and scathing retorts. And, more surprisingly, she starts to enjoy it. Despite her mother's warnings, Caymen beings to wonder whether having money isn't actually a character flaw. And if it's Xander she should worry about, or her own mother.

My Thoughts:

Kasie West knows how to write witty banter. Dare I say, she manages it better than any other author on my bookshelf. Period.

Caymen is one of the funniest characters I've had read about (she actually kind of reminded my of myself. Because I'm so hilarious. Right?). She's sarcastic, quick-witted and her humour isn't at all corny, which I find is the case in most Contemporaries. Instead it's dry, playfully berating and genuinely hilarious. Caymen's the kind of gal who fires the perfect comebacks straight away, while we all think of them an hour later.

Xander was also a great leading man. He took Caymen's humour in his stride (screw 'em if they can't take a joke, right?) and returned the banter with a smile. Plus the fact that he brought her morning cups of pre-sipped hot chocolate - and, actually, pre-sipped all her drinks - was the cutest thing. And yes, I understand that anyone who hasn't read the book may find that weird and disturbing. But if you read it, you'll get it. And you'll love it.

Xander also never tries to hide his wealth or pretend he's 'just like everybody else deep down'. I mean, the guy wears driving gloves. But that was part of his charm: he was rich and he didn't hide it or flaunt it. It was just part of who he was. A fact of life. And I loved that he didn't want his money to define him or his future - he wanted to find out what his dreams were and see if they were a possibility.

Which leads me to another part of this book I loved - Xander and Caymen's 'career days', where they had turns taking each other to places they felt would help the other realise their deepest aspirations. Mostly, Caymen took the comedy route in her attempts to find Xander his place in the world, but Xander's attempts to help her were really heart-warming and considerate.

I also enjoyed the sub-plot with Caymen's mother. I was intrigued by what was going on with her and the story behind her family and it was great to be there with Caymen as she tried to figure it out.

But, as brilliant as the 'reveal' was it all just ended too quickly. There was quite a big bombshell and then BAM a nice little bow was tied on top and everything was resolved with happily ever afters. It just felt kind of rushed.

Saying that, I still really enjoyed this and finished with a smile. Sure, there were a few things I would've liked explored a little more, but that didn't matter too much, because I loved the book.

If you're looking for a sweet contemporary with a host of authentic and genuinely likeable characters (and a new boy to add to your Literary Crushes list), then I'd recommend you pick this one up. If nothing else, you'll have some great new retorts at hand to use on the next unsuspecting person who tries to mess with you!

Favourite quote: 'I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy'

Overall rating: 4/5 little birdies

For more reviews made of awesome, visit Little Birdie Books: http://littlebirdiebooks.blogspot.co.uk/

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute! A wonderful read!, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Distance Between Us (Paperback)
I knew from the moment I read Pivot Point in February that this would be good. Then I saw that cover and it turned into a must-have. Now I have read it, and my first real thought is that I should congratulate Kasie West because she has made her way onto my auto-buy list. I love her writing and her storytelling, and so, for the foreseeable future, I will be pre-ordering any book she comes out with. That's just how much I loved The Distance Between Us.

Right from the first chapter, I was in love with the main character, Caymen. She is absolutely - freaking - hilarious. She has a sarcastic mind that even beats my own, and her quips and one-liners constantly had me giggling and flailing. It made for some of the best dialogue out there and so many quotable quotes.

"Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"

"I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy." - The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

She is one of my favorite characters ever--and definitely within the contemporary romance genre. Aside from her sarcasm, I loved her loyalty to her mother, and her difficulty to trust Xander. It all felt extremely real and authentic, and that is an absolute must for me in contemporary books. Kasie West makes amazing characters, that's for sure. And she also didn't disappoint by putting another awesome friendship in here between Caymen and her best friend, Skye. I loved the two together and it was definitely reminiscent of Addie and Laila (Pivot Point).

Then there's Xander Spence. Someone, bring me a fan. That boy is just so amazing. He's like.... what the love interest in This is What Happy Looks Like should have been. He is dreamy and swoon-worthy. I love his little crooked smile, his secret weapon. I love his obvious enjoyment of Caymen's sarcasm. I love his reluctance about his position - that he can still be down-to-earth at times. But he also needs Caymen. She grounds him.

That's one thing I loved about their romance--they complimented each other perfectly. They were just what the other needed. But the absolute best part was that this was a slow-building romance that was perfectly natural and never felt cliché or predictable. I'm not a contemporary romance girl (I keep saying that, but I have been reading a lot of them lately) mostly because straight-up romance will bore me with its cliché nature. That's not the case here. The Distance Between Us is everything I could ask from a contemporary romance. It is top notch. And I just loved it.

While the story does center a lot on the slow-building romance between Caymen and Xander, there's also more to take away from the story. Caymen is in the position to decide if she wants to delay college and take a gap year to help her mother with her struggling business or if she should choose for herself and make her own life. It was a truly touching tale of loyalty and complemented the romance beautifully.

And to that point, I think one of the things I love most about Kasie West's writing and storytelling is that she doesn't only focus on the relationship dynamics between the two main characters. Here she also looks at Caymen and Skye, Caymen and her mother, Xander and his parents, Skye and her boyfriend--and each of them is really interesting with well fleshed out characters. It makes for a well-rounded and authentic world that is hard not to love.

Summing Up...

The Distance Between Us is the perfect light contemporary romance that will lift your spirits and leave you smiling. I'm trying really hard to find a negative thing to say about it, but I'm drawing a blank. I enjoyed every second of this book and loathed when it was over. Contemporary straight-up romance doesn't get any better than this. With amazingly lovable characters and the perfect pacing and relationship development, this is one of my favorite books now. Hats off to Kasie West. You did it again! Welcome to my favorite author and auto-buy list!

Recommended To...

Anyone looking for completely adorable and perfect romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Distance Between Us, 7 Sept. 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Distance Between Us (Paperback)
I bought The Distance Between Us on my Kindle because it's published by HarperTeen and I like a lot of their books. This one is no exception - I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read more by Kasie West!

Caymen Meyers is seventeen, sarcastic and not at all rich. She works at her mum's doll store, selling creepy dolls and helping make sure the family stays afloat. One day she meets Xander Spence, the very rich grandson of one of her best customers. Slowly she gets to know him, and realises that having money isn't the be all and end all of life.

Caymen is a great character who reminds me of myself, thanks to her constant sarcasm and tendency to say exactly what she's thinking. Some of the cutting remarks she came out with had me chuckling away to myself and made me a big fan of her. I like how she always helped her mum, even though she probably didn't want to, and put their family and business first.

When Caymen meets Xander, she notices him but immediately dismissed him as just another rich boy not worth the time of day. It's only as he actually makes an effort - bringing her a drink every morning before school - that she leaves her prejudices behind and gets to know him. Theirs is a slow-burning relationship that builds over time, which is a refreshing change in YA. There's no insta-love, instead there's a realistic portrayal of two people coming together and finding that they might just like each other.

Xander is also a character I liked a lot. He's kind and generous and not at all like his stuck-up friends. He's good for Caymen, as she is for him, and he's there for her when she needs him most - when family secrets come to light and she's faced with a difficult decision. The secondary characters are great too, especially Caymen's mum and best friend. I like them all!

The Distance Between Us is a brilliant contemporary YA read with realistic characters and a heavy dose of sarcasm. I'm glad I randomly bought it and have it a go as I've now found a new author to follow. I'll be buying Kasie West's other book, Pivot Point, as soon as possible and I hope it's as good as this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Distance Between Us by Kasie West, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Distance Between Us (Paperback)
Once again, Kasie West has captivated me. I read Pivot Point back in January, and went on to push it towards everyone I came into contact with. I've been waiting a good six months for The Distance Between Us to be released, eagerly anticipating West's first contemporary novel, and I can gladly announce that it was well worth the wait!

The main character, Caymen, is my number one reason for enjoying this book so much. I was able to connect with and relate to her with incredible ease, which is due to both West's writing and her skill when it comes to character building. Caymen's sense of humour was the major draw for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure she is me in bookish form, since our sense of humour is so similar. No one understands mine, either. I'm pretty sure most of my blog readers think I'm a total weirdo.

I loved how strong Caymen was when it came to her mother, who was clearly having a tough time throughout the novel due to financial troubles and such. Financial struggles that I could completely relate to. Caymen was there for her mother a lot, to such an extent that it messed with her own life. It was only after she met Xander that she decided to start branching out and living her own life. Before, it was all about the doll shop.

Which brings me onto Xander, who was funny and charming, and a total Logan Echolls. Except not as perfect as Logan because, let's be honest, who is? Xander got a decent amount of development compared to some YA love interests I know. We got to meet his family, we heard about some of his backstory, and he had his own little storyline running alongside Caymen's. But, even though he was a prominent character, he didn't overshadow Caymen in any way. Which is great since, you know, this is a book about her.

I got really into Caymen and Xander's relationship, to the extent that I may have hugged my pillow over them a couple of times when they had a falling out or misunderstanding. I shipped them, of course I did. Were you expecting anything else from me?

The only flaw I found with this book is that it ended a little too soon, story-wise, for me. I would have liked the book to have continued on for a bit longer, just give me a more specific idea of where the characters were headed. I mean, it was pretty clear and a more casual reader would be thrilled with the way it ended, but I was so invested in Caymen and her mother's lives that I just didn't want to let them go just yet.

Basically, Kasie West is a queen and I love her books to pieces. While this isn't quite as fabulous as Pivot Point, it's pretty bloody close. If you're looking for a summer contemporary with a sarcastic and strong main character, a relationship that you can get invested in, and writing full of charm, humour and wit, then The Distance Between Us is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really fun read, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Distance Between Us (Paperback)
Protagonist Caymen expresses her feelings about the wealthy from the very beginning of the book. She also states that her father was from a wealthy family who abandoned her and her mother after paying them off. Obviously, she has issues because of this event and so I couldn't really blame her for her preconceptions. Caymen could be bitter but she isn't. She makes the most of what she has, even if she hates living above and working in her mother's doll shop. Dolls are bloody creepy so no wonder Caymen doesn't enjoy her job. As a character, I absolutely loved Caymen. She was funny and sweet although snarky and sarcastic at the same time. She gave as good as she could get and was so fun to read about.

Then comes Xander aka Alex or Alexander. To begin with I had a bit of a problem with him because of his name. Now, Alexander is a normal name but I hate names being shortened. My fiancé and I have had a big thing over this particular name as an option for our own children because I would refuse to have it shortened to anything. So, because Alexander has two alternatives, this really bugged me. Name aside, I did like him. He comes from a world so completely different to Caymen's and the banter between the two was fantastic. Caymen has ideas about Xander from the very start whereas he doesn't judge her at all. He is from a very well off and successful family but he isn't what Caymen expects him to be at all.

What I really enjoyed about this book was the relationship building between Caymen and Xander. There isn't any of this instantly falling in love stuff that we get in a lot of young adult books. Instead, the two form a friendship and build from there slowly. At the same time, West gives us a really fun plot about finding yourself and trying new things. Neither Caymen or Xander know what they want to do with their lives and a large part of the book is spent trying to figure that out together. As the characters spend quite a bit of time together, we get to know each of them individually and together which was a great thing. Throughout the book, we get to realise that even though their families have different incomes, Caymen and Xander really aren't that different in the end.

So, not only is the plot great and the main characters fantastic, but there are other awesome things about this book too. The Distance Between Us is really funny. Caymen has this dry sense of humour which had me laughing out loud at times. Add her sarcasm into that and she's a definite winner. There are also some great twists in the plot which were quite exciting and they also broke up the romance between Caymen and Xander. Secondary characters were also great and all (especially Caymen's mum) brought something different to this book.

Overall, I loved this book. Kasie West's writing is addictive, as is her plot. She writes great characters who are easy to relate to and also who I liked very much. I can't wait to read more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Sometimes it's the little things that bring that special someone back to us in some small way.", 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Distance Between Us (Paperback)
Well done Kasie West, you have managed to capture me under your spell with your magical writing. I admit I was a bit sceptic to read this book as there are so many mixed reviews but they didn't stop me from falling in love with everything about it!

I hadn't read anything by Kasie before but now I'm considering Pivot Point, it's another that sounds right up my street. I'm going to be brutally honest with you guys, I was drawn to this book because of the cover alone. I mean, look how beautiful it is! Everything works well on it but what particularly stood out to me was the typography. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to typography and when it doesn't work it can bring a cover down. It really works with everything on cover from the image to the colours and even the theme of the book. It's a contemporary book and I think that the cover is perfect for this particular genre.

When I was finally finished swooning over the cover I took a deep breath and started reading. I was sure that I wouldn't like this book but as I got further into it I found myself still awake at 7am wanting to know what would happen next. Yes I had fallen completely head over heels in love with this book and couldn't stop reading it. It took all my strength to finally put it down and go to sleep. I don't know what it is with Kasie's writing but I was devoted to it and like I said, it managed keep me up till all hours. I don't often find a book that has a hold on me like that.

West has created down to earth, loveable characters which you can easily relate to. I had a smile on my face throughout the book and was laughing uncontrollably at some points. Caymen, oh how that girl made me laugh. Her sarcasm and wit was definitely the selling point of her character. We see her grow and mature as she experiences new things as the story goes on. She oversees her mum's prejudices and learns that not everyone is the same, that not every rich person is going destroy her life for the excitement of hanging out with a "poor" person for a while. That brings me to Xander, the cocky rich boy with a heart stopping smile. Only he turns out to be completely different to what Caymen expects. As they grow closer over morning hot chocolates and "career days" we see them bring out the best in each other. I was rooting for them from the start and was happy with the outcome. It was a long time coming but it happened!

I liked the other characters as well, I hardly ever like every character in a book but with this one I did! They're all so utterly lovely it was hard not to like them. I did feel sorry for Mason (Tic) as he seemed to genuinely like Caymen, but I guess you can't help who you fall for, no matter their status. Skye was a great addition to the story; she's the kind of best friend I'd like. The type that doesn't judge you based on your choices and stands by you no matter what. I did think that Caymens mum was a bit absurd at times; however I completely understood why she was that way. I just wanted her to give Xander a chance so she could see for herself how perfect he was for her daughter.

The back and forth banter between Caymen and Xander kept me entertained for hours. It was so perfectly written I felt like I was sat watching them from a distance. The books written in first person, I felt that this was right for the story as it made me feel more involved with the book and it helped me sympathise with Caymen during times of worry. West has sculpted the romance to perfection in this book. It had the right amount of swoon worthy moments and I didn't feel the need to dry heave during cheesy moments. It's the kind of romance that gives you butterflies in your stomach, so basically it's the good type!
Once you pick up this book you won't be able to put it down. You will fall in love with Kasie West's writing. And you will most certainly feel a bit lost when you finish reading it as you'll be craving more! This book is enough to pull anyone out of a reading slump; I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a cute summer read that comes with a dash of feels.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit rushed but still a cute contemporary, 17 Oct. 2014

To start with I didn't really click with the characters, Caymen seemed really rude and in her own way arrogant to me by the way she looked down on the rich people without giving them a proper chance. While Xander to me didn't really seem very loveable in the beginning but he did grow on me more towards the end. Out of the two of them I definitely preferred Xander because at least he was a little bit more mysterious, like I couldn't really get a clear idea on his intentions so I was more interested in him. When it came to their relationship I just wasn't thrilled by it and was not cheering for them to get together. It seemed very rushed and under developed for a contemporary read, so I felt like there was not a lot of thought behind the characters.

Overall I liked the sarcasm and wit that the story had and there were times when I did think the characters were cute, but I thought that the story in itself needed more development.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Distance Between Us
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West (Paperback - 22 July 2013)