4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
Published on 18 Feb 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, boring, boring
I bought this in desperation and wished I hadn't bothered. I couldn't get interested in the hero and heroine, there was nothing to them. Frankly, I preferred Ophelia, the spoiled society girl, at least she had a bit of character! JL can do a lot better than this
Published on 5 Feb 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 18 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Heir (Paperback)
Well, I wasn't a bit excited about buying another of Johanna Lindsey books. I've read Home for the Holidays and confess that was one of the worst books I've read in my life, and I've read quite a few. I didn't feel like getting it but than, on the bookstore there was hardy one with an interesting story, at least different within the normal. I read it fast and though Duncan was a bit naive, I liked his stuborness. It was not brilliant, but the book was certainly enjoyable. I liked it.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, boring, boring, 5 Feb 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars ONE TO MISS, 16 Jan 2002
This review is from: The Heir (Paperback)
This is the first JL novel I have read, and it does not encourage me to read more. I found it to be insubstantial, hard to read and I could not wait to get to the end; it was such a hard read. None of the characters made me care about them and the 'Scottish" dialogue was very diffucult to read - not a relaxing book. In fact, I got to the end and did not really care what happened to anyone....

2.0 out of 5 stars instantly forgettable, 2 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Heir (Paperback)
This book was pleasant enough if you were stuck for something to read. It however lacks any of the fire, passion and humour of JL's earlier work. Unfortunately the last few novels I have read appear to have shared a similar plot (plain but good natured girl thwarted by spiteful and gorgeous bitch only to win her somewhat worthy but dull hero at the end).
I have kept every JL book I have ever read, have reread some until the book is in bits and have fallen a little in love with each of the heroes but the hero in this book, together with the one in "The Pursuit" and "A Man of my Own" all seemed a bit wooden.
I think there simply is too much padding and not enough substance. There is very little direct contact between the main players and too much detail about the supporting cast. JL's books, in my view, worked best when the focused on the hero and heroine and developing the relationship between them.
I live in hope that the next JL novel will have recaptured the wit and sparkle of her past work.

3.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A LET DOWN, 23 July 2004
This review is from: The Heir (Mass Market Paperback)
Unfortunately, I found this one of the slowest, plodding books of Lindsey's! Much as the characters were likeable, I found the storyline rather weak, and I wasn't rushing to read the next chapter, which to me, defines a great book - when you can't put it down. The story takes some time to really get into it's own, and it does pick up halfway through the book, but if you haven't got the patience to wait that long, then this isn't the one for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story, 8 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Heir (Hardcover)
Having been disappointed in some of Johanna Lindsey's recent offerings, I was cautious about buying The Heir. It was a pleasant surprise. JL seems to have her writing back on track with this book, which gives us some very likable characters and an interesting storyline. If you enjoy Julie Garwood, then you will no doubt enjoy this book

4.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good read, 22 April 2001
This review is from: The Heir (Paperback)
So its not another Mallory adventure.But mere mortals must win too sometimes, how glad that Duncan got his womman althougth not the most beautiful but suited to him exceddingly well.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Heir (Paperback)
this was such a waist of time there was no chase just i saw you i like you and nothing connected plus we were told continuously shes funny and everyone burst out laughing when she spoke but everything she said was silly more retarded then funny at least the men girl seemed more real as a character!!!boring as hell with a lot of conversations from secondary characters and no romance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing........, 5 April 2001
This review is from: The Heir (Paperback)
I love Johanna Lindsey and always look forward to reading her latest but this time there was something lacking and I was really disappointed. The book lacked intensity and felt like it had been written in a hurry! There didn't seem to be anything between the characters when compared to Johanna's usually passionate offerings. Hope the next one is better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Heir (Mass Market Paperback)
What a total let-down. As an avid fan of JL I was overjoyed to come across this book in my local book exchange and raced home to read it. Unfortuantely, it doesn't even rate as an enjoyable read.The characters were,I felt, removed and the hero a complete wimp. My advice would be not to waste your money on this title.

The Heir Low Price Ed
The Heir Low Price Ed by Johanna Lindsey (Paperback - 26 Dec 2012)
6.98