5.0 out of 5 stars Her best one yet!
Published 2 months ago by Sophie Mayer

Published 3 months ago by Judge Tabor

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much "Guilt" Hindered The Lovely Chemistry Between The H/h, 19 July 2014
We were first introduced to Julianne Baxter in a "Summer is for Lovers" but, her character wasn't nearly as captivating in that novel as she was in "Moonlight on My Mind." Our hero, Patrick Channing, was first introduced in "What Happens in Scotland" as the local town vet. I really did like both Julianne and Patrick in this book. However, and this is a pretty big "however" - some parts of this book I just didn't like at all. I'm not going to rehash the overall book's description because it has been done a few times already. I will, however, denote some issues I had with the story line.

* Very Slight Spoilers Follow*
There was a lot of chemistry between Patrick and Julianne but I didn't feel that the story line made enough of that chemistry. When Patrick came into the little gathering Julianne had prepared for the local community and she saw him dressed in formal clothes for the first time, he made a bee-line to her and the chemistry was enough to raise the hair on the reader's arms. However, they didn't even have a "much looked forward to" intimate evening together later that night. The storyline simply fast forwards to the next morning.

When Patrick was arrested and beat up by his varlet cousin, Blythe, and Julianne visited him in his cell, he was hurt, dirty, stinky and his ribs were broken. Where was the Julianne who should have been absolutely outraged? Where was the skillful planner who normally could and would find a way to get the job done in everything else? She barely acknowledged his bruises and wounds. This was a 180 degree turnaround from the Julianne up to that point. This just seemed unrealistic and totally out of character. Plus the story's implications were that Patrick had been pounded by his cousin on a regular basis during the week he was imprisoned. Julianne simply returns home and apparently further attempts to visit Patrick are rejected by the local magistrate and she humbly submits to his will? Totally out of character for Julianne who had a major problem "obeying" pretty much anybody up to that point - it seems as though she would have found a way to do something. This was after all, the Julianne who went all the way to Scotland by herself to haul Patrick back home.

At times, Patrick and Julianne had some great chemistry, but I would have enjoyed more of a relational build-up as opposed to what this story gave us. What we had were two characters who had too much guilt to really feel comfortable with one another. Julianne had guilt because she felt responsible for putting Patrick in the position he was in and Patrick felt guilty for not telling Julianne the primary reason he married her. I understand these types of issues are important for the story but somehow, I felt that the guilt went on way too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best one yet!, 1 Aug 2014
Jennifer McQuiston exceeded my expectations with her third novel in the 'Second sons' series. While Julianne Baxter did not endear herself to me in 'Summer is for Lovers', she proved to be a very likable protagonist in 'Moonlight on my mind'. Sassy dialogues ensued! And Patrick Channing turned out to be even more swoon-worthy than McQuiston's other heroes. A dashing veterinarian hell-bent on escaping the mindless gossip of the ton? Yes, please! A believable murder mystery thrown into the mix, and you've got yourself a satisfying read. Needless to say that McQuiston's story is both witty and charming, boasting refreshingly vivid minor characters, for example James MacKenzie and Julianne's father Lord Avery, and showing off McQuiston's talent. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be purchasing her next novel as soon as it becomes available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moonlight on my Mind by Jennifer McQuiston, 28 July 2014
Mrs. Paula Heard (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moonlight on My Mind (Second Sons) (Mass Market Paperback)
I've just finished reading this book after almost a whole day! My list of chores had to wait because the story had me gripped and I had to finish it. I was not disappointed by the ending with this book as some usually leave you thinking, 'is that it'? The story line had me gripped and I'm so pleased I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't make up its mind whether to be a mystery or a romance, 3 May 2014
Caz "So many books, so little time..." (Frinton-on-Sea) - See all my reviews
"Moonlight on my Mind" is more of a romantic mystery than a straightforward romance, and while I found it to be a fast-paced and enjoyable read overall, I came away from it not completely convinced by either the mystery or the romance.

The plot hinges on the fact that the heroine (Julianne Baxter, previously seen in "Summer is for Lovers") - was (supposedly) the sole witness to the murder of the hero's brother: by the hero. While awaiting the decision of an inquest, the new Earl of Haversham (Patrick) flees to a remote village in Scotland where he can continue with his veterinary practice (kudos to Ms McQuiston for the choice of an unusual profession for her hero!). I had a big problem with this premise, which was compounded later in the book by further revelations as to the veracity of this evidence.

With the passing of time, Julianne begins to see that perhaps she has made a mistake in accusing Patrick of murder and decides she needs to make amends. The problem is that Patrick has had enough of her meddling and wants nothing more than to get rid of her as soon as possible. He doesn’t want her help, fearing that any more of her interference will just make things worse, but has no idea how to stop her from getting involved. His friend, James MacKenzie (hero of "What Happens in Scotland") points out that there is one very efficient way of preventing Julianne from saying anything to make things worse, which would be to marry her, as a wife cannot be compelled to testify against her husband.

The idea appalls him – but makes a certain kind of sense. Patrick doesn’t like Julianne, but can’t deny that he’s attracted to her and would find certain aspects of being married to her to be no hardship at all. Persuading her that her unchaperoned visit to both the village and his home threaten to compromise her reputation, Patrick and Julianne take a trip to the local blacksmith to tie the knot.

After a disappointing wedding night, the awkward newly-weds then travel to Yorkshire in company with MacKenzie, who continues on to London in order to set certain legal proceedures into motion. They arrive at Summersby to a cautious welcome. Many of the family members and friends who attended the late Earl’s funeral are still at the house, and are not at all pleased to see Julianne again - even less so when they learn she is now Patrick’s wife.

Julianne is made of stern stuff, however, and refuses to be intimidated or belittled by any of them, even Patrick’s snide cousin Jonathon Blythe, whom she begins to suspect of more than being merely envious of Patrick’s new wealth and position.

I felt, while reading the book, that it didn’t quite know what it wanted to be – a mystery or a romance. The whodunnit worked well, but the romance didn’t quite do it for me. Patrick and Julianne begin the book wary of each other, although there is an undeniable undercurrent of attraction running between them. But I didn’t get a real sense of their relationship developing. It changed certainly, but the changes felt choppy, rather than organic.

On the plus side, the writing is good, as is the characterisation of the two principals, both of whom are far from perfect and feel that little bit more real because of it. I enjoyed the way Patrick developed from a man who had little patience or interest in titles or society into one who realised that he was more than capable of running an earldom; and Julianne’s transformation from spoiled brat to a capable, loving and loyal wife was very well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breath of fresh air, 31 Mar 2014
C. Halford "Rookie Romance" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

I thoroughly enjoyed this unusual regency romance with an impetuous heroine, surly hero and plenty of mysteries to unravel.

Julianne was a really interesting heroine, I thought. She could sometimes come across as a bit self-absorbed and vain, particularly to begin with, but she's complex and there's a lot more to her than meets the eye. She may be a society miss, but she's fiercely loyal, headstrong, passionate and intelligent as well. I liked that it's not just that her character grows through the story, we also see unveiled the myriad of layers that make her the whirlwind of a woman she is.
Patrick was also a great and unusual hero. He's a second son who never expected to inherit the Earldom, particularly since he has been accused of murdering his older brother in order to do so. He spent years studying veterinary medicine abroad and that's where his passion lies. He's very compassionate and kind, although this is hidden beneath a gruff exterior. Even when Julianne is trying his patience, he can't deny the irresistible attraction that burns between them.

The plot starts off largely centering on their attempts to clear Patrick of murder charges, but before long it starts to seem that initial conclusions about his brother and father's deaths are wrong. There's plenty of intrigue to keep the plot moving at a quick pace. I admit to being very surprised by the ending- I love when that happens because too often, you can work out an ending. This kept me guessing and held my attention easily.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this! I loved Julianne and Patrick together, they complement each other's personalities really well and I loved their passionate connection. The plot, writing and characters are all a breath of fresh air in a genre that can become steeped in cliches. I'm really looking forward to catching up on the previous books in the series and seeing what more Jennifer McQuiston has in store for us!

*I received a review copy for my honest opinion, Thank you!

Moonlight on My Mind (Second Sons)
Moonlight on My Mind (Second Sons) by Jennifer McQuiston (Mass Market Paperback - 27 Mar 2014)