5.0 out of 5 stars Destiny's Surrender
Published 5 months ago by Clare O'Beara

3.0 out of 5 stars Destiny book 2
Destiny's Surrender was an enjoyable historical romance that I found really entertaining despite a few small problems.

Published 6 months ago by Kate Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Destiny book 2, 24 Sep 2013
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The biggest issue with this book is that it does nothing new in the genre. I felt like it was a little too predictable and it wasn't hard to see how this was all going to end. I still enjoyed it despite that because it is a story line I have not read in a while and because I liked the tone of the authors writing. I thought Beverly Jenkins world building was strong and I had no problem getting lost in these pages and despite knowing what was coming I found this hard to put down.

I really enjoyed the characters. Billie was a great character and there was little I disliked about her. She was a great mother and was brave and smart. I liked Drew a little less and at first struggled with him but he soon grew on me.

The romance was sweet but most of the chemistry was developed before this book began which was a shame.

Destiny's Surrender wasn't perfect but I really did enjoy it and though it was a good historical romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Destiny's Surrender, 14 Nov 2013
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There's adult action from the start of this historical romance as call girl Wilhemina Wells enjoys the patronage of a well-off man in the thriving new town of San Francisco. The lovely young woman had few choices in life when she arrived on the train from Kansas, so she's making a living any way she can. Drew Yates, a lawyer, treats her well and even takes her to the opera, but she's realistic enough to know that he'll marry into the business society and never speak to her again.

The bordello in the 'Barbary Coast' district is run by a Creole lady, who provides girls of colour to the prominent citizens. Billie finds herself expecting, and doesn't know who the father is. She's determined to have the baby and give it to her madam to sell for adoption. She has some leeway but girls can be found floating in the Bay if they give trouble, so she has to knuckle down to wash laundry, and go to live with a midwife near the whale oil rendering plant.

Drew meanwhile has been off visiting fine old Spanish families. His family is a Spanish-American blend, this being the easiest way to prove ownership of their land, Destiny Ranch, and he's under pressure from his mother Senora Alanza to marry. He meets Rosaline at a ball. Senora Ruiz will allow him to court her daughter for a year, under the strict eye of a duenna, before an engagement. He's looked for Billie, but nobody will tell him where she is....

Perennial double standards mean that a man can walk in and out of brothels. The contrast with Spanish society in this multicultural story delves into the history of that part of the world very well, as any lawyers who were not white were being disbarred and Spanish land claims ignored. I also liked the easy writing style and identification with the characters. The midwife is also a root woman, securing herself a place in local society. Senora Alanza is utterly sure of what is right and determined to see it done. Overall the women are far more impressive than the men in Beverly Jenkins's action-packed romance, and I expect she enjoyed writing it.

ARRAY(0xb6b86684)

Destiny's Surrender
Destiny's Surrender by Beverly Jenkins (Mass Market Paperback - 24 Sep 2013)
6.74