on 26 December 2012
Very disappointing collection - original stories by favourite authors were entertaining if somewhat short.Unfortunately they totalled only 151 pages (37750 words approx) of the book. The rest was taken up with 54 pages of extracts from these authors already published books (not their upcomomg ones so I've already read the whole books!) and 54 pages of extracts from other authors/works (3 of the 4 being modern novels not historical ones). The extracts therefore totalled 108 pages ie 40% of the book.
While this is not an expensive book to buy, it is an unsatisfactory read because the 3 main stories are brief so consequently don't develop character, plot or relationships in the way a reader would expect from these writers - it feels like the publishers are exploiting the popularity of these writers to make sales of what appears to be a cynical marketing tool.
on 4 October 2012
I got this for the Loretta Chase story - not bad, but nothing special. The Stephanie Laurens and Gaelen Foley stories were pretty much as expected, very lightweight but tolerable. What I REALLY object to is that about half of the book is made up of previews from the authors' and others forthcoming books. I don't mind a few pages, but effectively half of what you're paying for is the publisher's advertising.
on 30 August 2013
I don't normally buy short stories or anthologies, and after this I won't bother again, Having checked the print length, this seemed worth the price - but the print length fails to mention that it includes as much "sneak preview of the next book" as actual stories. I object strongly to this practise - it's bad enough in a full length novel, but when the content I wanted is overwhelmed by the previews I feel totally cheated.
Definitely not worth buying.
on 20 March 2013
Was looking forward to it, as authors usually good, and S Laurens is a favourite of mine, but found stories too short and unsatisfying.
on 8 April 2014
Full of spelling mistakes , the third book of this anthology is very poor. What a pity for those of us who admire the excellent Stepnanie Laurens to find one of her books attached to one so poor!
on 8 November 2014
The three stories were okay but I did not like the inclusion of snippets for other stories - I felt this spoiled the whole thing
on 16 December 2013
I love the books set in Old England. Enjoy to get a glimps in how they use to live a few hundred years ago.