5.0 out of 5 stars Great read
I loved this book, the old pictures added to the reading experience, I am looking forward to the next book :)
Published 22 days ago by kelly whitney

3.0 out of 5 stars We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes
With the recommendation of being similar to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children I snatched this book up as soon as it was ready for release. But I found this to be a totally different ball game.

Published 8 months ago by Jack

3.0 out of 5 stars We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Asylum (Hardcover)

For starters I'd say this was for much younger readers. The book is littered with doctored images from asylums, which really does help the story, but the story isn't brilliant to begin with. It moves very quickly, too quickly if anything. Usually I wouldn't slam a book for jumping right to the action, but within five minutes of reading this book the main character has made best friends with two weirdos and their delving into the bowels of the asylum without so much as brain cell between them. For no substantial reason at all. Something that also bothered me, even though the book never tried to say otherwise, but ever present mention of texting and cell phones and modern day technology really took me away from the old vintage feel of dipping in and out of the asylum. The kids are particularly hormonal, which often comes across as annoying.

What I thought really worked well was the asylum characters, particularly the Warden and the Sculptor, who I felt were totally under used. There were such strong images created from these characters, and at one point I thought it would have been so much greater to go the whole-hog and time travel back to that time. The ending of the book (something I wont spoil) felt very undeserving. I wished so hard for things to turn out differently, but what I got was something I think even the author couldn't really explain. What happened? What did we just end with? Usually, when things are left unsaid it makes me want to know more. I think Roux was aiming for a cliffhanger, but really, it came across a lot more lazy. There was no clear explanation, which left me feeling sort of indifferent to the characters. I wanted something to blow me away. Sadly I was not.

And after all that, I will say, I did enjoy parts of the story. There were some great pieces of dialogue, but also so really dire ones. Have a go, and see what you think.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Asylum (Kindle Edition)
This book looked promising to start with but a few chapters in it went very dry and flat, the characters seem flat and two dimensional and the story is very slow paced. I can't even stop thinking that there are several plot holes and the ending is disappointing and 'forced'. I waited for some closure or explanation but instead the book was cut short as if for the first major part the author was 'milking' and prolonging plot just for the sake of filling out pages and then when she run out of ideas she decided on a cliché and vague ending. Even the choice of pictures was disappointing :( the initial idea was good just poorly delivered in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Asylum (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not read it yet!, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Asylum (Hardcover)
Bought as a gift and arrived in perfect time. Not had a chance to read it yet but person I bought it for was very pleased.

Asylum
Asylum by Madeleine Roux (Hardcover - 11 Sep 2013)
10.18