4.0 out of 5 stars Night Zero
Needless to say this book is part of trilogy and hence is not a stand-alone novel, and this may sound obvious but You need to start with the first, The Strain to make sense of what's going on.

While I am avid fan of the strain trilogy, I must say this book is by far the poor relation in the trilogy. In my opinion the authors should have only done two books,...
Published on 19 Oct 2011 by Sussman

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed
Published on 26 Oct 2011 by colliecrew

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, 26 Oct 2011
colliecrew (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I loved The Strain, enjoyed The Fall and was so so so disappointed by this, the final book in the trilogy. It lost the inventiveness and tension of the previous 2 books and I really missed the best character Setrakian. It read like a book that both writers didn't quite know how they wanted it to end and so they finish with, even by fantasy standards, a complete Cock and Bull story!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Sad End to a good series., 23 Oct 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Whilst I have enjoyed the other two titles by Guillermo and Chuck, I sadly have to say that this one was a real let down, it was mainly pure action, had no real reasoning behind it and whilst it would have made an acceptable film in this format it was sadly lacking.

Add to this poor description and a storyline that picks up two years later that should have had more happening and it felt rather like filler rather than a book that had any real merit leaving me thinking that the duo would have been better leaving the series as a duology instead. Finally add to this rather poor characterisation, dire prose and a story that didn't make any real sense and it was sadly a mishmash I'd rather have missed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Anti-Climax to a Great Series, 4 Jan 2012
R. A. Cruikshank "Cpt. Hamshank" (South Lanarkshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
There was no spring in this novel's step that the two previous chapters possessed. It seemed like a straight run to the finale with little in the way of twists and turns. Zack was built up convincingly towards a showdown with his father that never materialized, the nuke had no build up at all and even the Master was a let down, after having a Dracula-esque terror to him in the first book and an overbearing omnipresence in the second. Frankly he was crap in the finale. Eph too. It was lacklustre at best and felt rushed, as others have said. The first book was by far the best and its winning formula was seemingly exhausted by the end of the second book. The saddest part is everyone could tell you how Night Eternal SHOULD have ended, but nobody thought to tell Chuck or Guillermo. Waste of a good finale. Stick to the first two books and leave the ending to your imagination, that way you won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did the authors get bored?, 29 Oct 2011
What could have been a rip-roaring ending to a great series ends up being a damp squib that feels rushed. The Jeffrey Deaver-esque scientific explanation of the first 2 books is completely lacking and the ending is pure Scooby Doo.

It's not that the story is band per-se, it's more that the hight standards of the first 2 books simpley hasn't been matched.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Oct 2011
S. Emmett (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Eternal (Kindle Edition)
I loved The Strain. Some of the actual writing, the words and expressions, annoyed me but I put that down to the differences between US and British English. The story worked, had pace, gripped me and I wanted to read and read. Not The Night Eternal. This time, without any real plot, without pace to drag me along, I simply found myself stumbling over the prose which, in parts, is plain bad. Where was the editor? No sense of horror, no tension.A shame, because the premise has potential.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Oct 2011
I liked the 1st 2 books of the series, so I was eagerly awaiting this one, even going as far as to pre order it.

Yet the book was a serious disappointment. Eph, the main character, had been turned into a drug abusing, moaning loser. In-spite of this, everyone keeps saying how great he is, that he is the chosen one.

The book is slow, and nothing much happens. It looks like the authors were just trying to meet some arbitrary word limit. About half way, I was like "Oh go on, finish the damn book already."

The 1st book was heavily marketed sort of like a CSI meet vampires- the hero studies vampires scientifically, fighting them with modern technology like hand held UV rays.

And yet, here, suddenly it is revealed the vampires were formed from the body parts of a fallen angel. And all this was God's plan. Eph, like Neo from the Matrix, is the "chosen" one.
Mind you, I have no problem with books on angels and demons- I am fine with them. But this books didn't start out as that. They should have stuck to the genre/format of the 1st 2 books.

Suddenly, Eph is the chosen one and he will defeat the ancient fallen angels, even though he behaves like a loser the whole book.

Slow, boring, avoid. If you have read the 1st 2 books, and want to know the ending, here it is, for free:

Angel fell to Earth, for no reason became vampire. Angel killed by other Angels, and his body parts scattered, from where the ancients and the master were born. At the end, they go to the place where master born, keep the ashes of the ancients there and blow up the place with a nuke. Master dies, and the ancient angel is reborn. He becomes a goody goody angel once again, goes back to heaven, and everyone lives happily for ever.

Except for the reader, who paid hard earned money for this tosh.

3.0 out of 5 stars The night eternal, 2 July 2012
I loved the first book in the strain trilogy, I found the second one to be slightly less good and the third even less good than the first.
The night eternal starts off ok although I did start to find the alcoholic/druggy Eph slightly annoying pretty quickly. Some of the themes covered were quite disturbing, including the human camps and slaughter houses. I also still don't quite understand where the evangelical stuff came from. However, ignoring these points and a good few others, I found it to be a generally enjoyable, ok read. The action scenes are fast paced and a lot of the post-apocalyptic city scenes are well fleshed out.
My biggest issue with the whole thing is the ending. By this, I don't mean Eph sacrificing both himself and his son. That made a certain degree of sense. The part I had real issue with was the very few pages covering societies recovery. I felt the authors could have done something really different and interesting with this last part but instead it felt rushed, as if they couldn't wait to finish it.
I'm glad in a way that the trilogy was brought to an end but I feel it could have been so much better after such a fantastic beginning. A shame really, could have been exceptional but instead it's just ok.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid action horror that entertains but it's nothing spectacular, 8 Jun 2012
John Milton (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The characters already have well-established backgrounds from the first two books and so, Del Toro and Hogan take us two years on from the end of The Fall and drop us into a nightmarish vision of a post-apocalyptic world run by vampires which, isn't entirely disimilar to the world before the strigoi took over... their vision of this vampiric paradise of almost 24 hour darkness sees the vampires running the world, akin somewhat to the way the Nazis governed occupied territories during World War II and the storyline races along at quite the pace.

Initially, I found the pace a bit much. I wanted to know more and felt I was having to re-read sections but soon got used to the particular style and feel of the book, which, as I have said before, will undoubtedly translate well to the big screen.

Del Toro and Hogan give further depth and background to some of the key characters here and explore some vampiric history and the origin of the vampires featured in The Strain trilogy which I lapped up and am of the opinion that it gave the trilogy further weight. However, I felt that their conclusion to The Night Eternal raised more epistemological questions rather than finalising matters and concluding the trilogy neatly.

With the benefit of hindsight, I may have been overly critical of The Strain, since it and The Fall are effectively akin to the opening gambits in a game of chess, setting the pieces of the story into play in an almost formulaic fashion, allowing for the third novel to act as the endgame, which it does most admirably; and continuing the chess analogy, many of the key players are sacrificed in pursuit of the final goal.

However, the majority of my comments still stand with much of the trilogy feeling like it is derived from some of Del Toro's pre-existing work (Blade, Blade II, Mimic) and the third is similar to one of the rumoured plots connected to the much whispered about potential fourth film in the Blade series; which Snipes has said he will only return to if Del Toro is attached...

If you haven't already done so, please do check out The Strain trilogy. It is a solid action-horror story told over three novels that are easy to read, compelling throughout and are overall a thoroughly enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi Old Testament vampire horror, 9 Nov 2011
John Middleton (Brisbane, QLD, AUST) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The final book of the Strain trilogy is a fun-enough read: after The Strain, which was a modern-day retelling of Dracula where he does not die at the end, The Fall is about opening up a whole new world, and the stripping away of illusions. The Night Eternal then opens 2 years later with the world under nuclear winter: perfect for vampires, and the Master (in a new body) rules them all. The opening is well done: starting with absolute despair we are shown a glimmer of hope which is all we can focus on to keep the story moving. After that though the road gets a little rocky.

After the events of The Fall, Ephraim Goodweather, Fet and Nora remain alive and kicking: Setrakian is dead. Goodweather is still a very flawed character, or at least selfish and self-indulgent. Yes, he has lost everything, but so has everybody else too. The chilling "new" world we see is intriguing - and given the past human tendency towards collaboration, all too horribly realistic. We don't see much of this though - just a few hints, including that the UK has somehow stayed vampire-free - as the focus is largely on Eph and his son Zach, now a pet of the Master.

I wont talk specific plot points so to spoil the story. The descent into a strange religiousity - literal deus ex machina in some cases - is surprising given the tone of Strain and Fall, and also raises questions about the total absence of religion per se: no one even thinks that talking to a priest might be a good idea (probably it would not, but if I was in their shoes it sure would not have hurt). I found the end effectively tolerable if not great.

All in all, I think that the story might have better left as simply the Strain, with the good guys winning at the end. Not everything needs to be a trilogy, and its easier to relate to (and be thrilled by) horror when it does not become post-apocalyptic sci-fi with an Old Testament twist in the last third of the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi Old Testament vampire horror, 9 Nov 2011
John Middleton (Brisbane, QLD, AUST) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The final book of the Strain trilogy is a fun-enough read: after The Strain, which was a modern-day retelling of Dracula where he does not die at the end, The Fall is about opening up a whole new world, and the stripping away of illusions. The Night Eternal then opens 2 years later with the world under nuclear winter: perfect for vampires, and the Master (in a new body) rules them all. The opening is well done: starting with absolute depair we are shown a glimmer of hope which is all we can focus on to keep the story moving. After that though the road gets a little rocky.

After the events of The Fall, Ephraim Goodweather, Fet and Nora remain alive and kicking: Setrakian is dead. Goodweather is still a very flawed character, or at least selfish and self-indulgent. Yes, he has lost everything, but so has everybody else too. The chilling "new" world we see is intriguing - and given the past human tendency towards collaboration, all to horribly realistic. We don't see much of this though - just a few hints, including that the UK has somehow stayed vampire-free - as the focus is largely on Eph and his son Zach, now a pet of the Master.

I wont talk plot points; other reviewers have covered that off. The descent into a strange religiousity - literal deus ex machina in some cases - is surprising given the tone of Strain and Fall, and also raises questions about the total absence of religion per se: no one even thinks that talking to a priest might be a good idea (probably it would not, but if I was in their shoes it sure would not have hurt). I found the end effectively tolerable if not great.

The Night Eternal
The Night Eternal by Chuck Hogan (Audio CD - 26 Jun 2012)
12.84