5.0 out of 5 stars Transformational
Published 12 months ago by Spider

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much selling and few facts
Published 14 months ago by Amia Neves

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformational, 13 Sep 2013
This is an excellent book that has had a profound impact on my life over the last few months. About a year ago I decided to stop using commercially-produced shampoo (no it's not dirty, there are lots of natural ingredients that clean hair) and as I was researching the potential hazards of chemical-laden shampoos I came across Alisa Vitti and her TED talk in particular. I was really drawn to the ideas in the talk about working with your menstrual cycle rather than fighting against it. Vitti talks about how women's biochemistry is different at different points in the cycle and being ignorant of that or fighting against it can be detrimental to our lives. I was very intrigued so I bought the book and I'm glad I did, for two reasons. First, it provides a very accessible explanation of how the female endocrine system works and that on its own has been invaluable to me, I feel like I understand my body a lot better than I did before (I really wish I'd read it as a teenager, it would have saved me a lot of time and health problems). Secondly, the book sets out Vitti's 'protocol' (it is much more than a diet) for hormonal health. There are 5 steps to this protocol:
1. Stabilise blood sugar
2. Reduce stress
3. Get the 'organs of elimination' working properly (bowels, skin, liver, lymphatic system etc)
4. Respond to your menstrual cycle productively (at different times of the month eat different things, exercise differently, socialise differently etc etc)
5. Use your "feminine energy"
Having had a few months to put it into practice, do some additional research and digest the information, I am a big fan of the protocol. I have learnt a great deal about my body, gradually made changes to my diet and am starting to feel better because of it. My husband is a doctor and he says that the ideas seem very sensible and he has learnt things from it too.

The fifth step in the protocol, about using your feminine energy, will probably seem a little hippy-dippy to some people. Personally I love it but if that kind of thing isn't your cup of tea, don't let it put you off the book as a whole. Vitti says that this wasn't originally part of the protocol, it was something she added later because of the changes she observed in the lives of her clients.

The protocol can be used to improve more or less any health issues that have hormonal imbalances as their root cause - for example PMS, uterine fibroids, endemetriosis, PCOS, thyroid issues, adrenal fatigue and many other conditions.

For me the only downside of the book is that it is very commercial. The book serves, in part, as an advertisment for Vitti's clinic in New York and her online programme (which is supposed to be a more detailed version of the book) and in the end it's perfectly understandable that it should be that way. The author tells us that she used to work in marketing and it really shows! I found that a little difficult. I think that Americans are used to a more commercialised health industry, whereas, as a British person, I am always a little shocked and uncomfortable when healthcare and capitalism collide. So I had to take a deep breath and look past that aspect of it. Underneath I really do think that Vitti is a serious scientist who knows her stuff and has made an important and pioneering contribution to this field.

In summary there are three elements to this book: a little bit of marketing, an awful lot of serious, concrete science and a big chunk of feminine wisdom. I highly recommend this book (and in fact have already insisted that my sister and several friends read it immediately).

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good.. apart from the fleshing out., 10 Feb 2014
The advice is simple, do-able and has helped me begin to clear my system of IBS. Definitely a book to read if you are prepared to make dietary changes to make yourself feel better. I say this as I know many people who would just prefer to eat what they like, enjoy it and worry about the consequences afterwards.

My only issue with this book is there is a lot of... "I can make you feel like this, that and the other (but I'm not going to tell you until later). did you know I researched hormones for years. I've told you this already but I need to make the later for the bit that I've already begun explaining to you." ... Basically fleshing out the book. Personally I'd rather be told what I'm doing wrong, the clear advice and maybe a bit of the science behind it after. I don't like repetition within a book (unless it's quick summing-up bullet points,) and I don't like being told half a story and having to wait until 'later' to find out the rest. I found myself skimming over some of the pages which I can't help thinking is a waste of paper.

However like I said 4/5, the advice that is there is great and could help a lot of people, just have to put up with a bit of fleshing out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much selling and few facts, 27 July 2013
I saw Alisa's TED talk and decided to buy her book. What she promised seemed exactly what I am needing.And I think that the information she shares in her book makes total sense. But I am disappointed with the book. Chapter after chapter I am promised this wonderful and revolutionary protocol and all the fantastic benefits it will bring, but facts and precise information is given sparingly and at a superficial level. The book feels like 70% sale + 10%information + 20% congratulating me on the newly tools acquired. Thus by the end of the book I am feeling tricked.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing book, 24 Jan 2014
G. A. Moravek (UK) - See all my reviews
If you are thinking about bying this book, just do it, and buy one more for your best girl-friend.

I came upon it in the USA while on a visit. I had a history of ovarian cysts, which even my fabulous consultant was not able to explain to me. This book has explained to me this and many other things related to our adrenals, hormonal works and my body. I went onto the programme right after we came home, and my cycle have changed beyond recognition. There is this general idea we as women are told right from an early age- relating to having to suffer just because we are born as women. It starts with your first period, goes on for childbirth and then also the menopause. What a load of rubbish.

All you have to do is read this book and follow the advise. Its that simple. No need to fly out to NYC to attend the clinic where Alisa has been treating women for over 10 years...Instead, this book gives you easy to follow ideas of what to eat when. That really helped me with the forever dilemma of what should I cook today, as now I know exactly. It has a broad and multifaceted approach to well being, coping with stress and many other things and should be in my opinion part of curriculum for all girls over 15 years of age.

Its that brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bible to successfully taking charge of your hormonal health, 23 Sep 2013
I have been looking forward for years for this book to come out so that more women across the globe can take charge of their hormonal health and their own wellbeing. As one of Alisa's first clients, who was diagnosed with "incurable" PCOS, I stand as a prime example that Alisa's method, the protocol, does empower women to heal their bodies, and achieve hormonal balance without falling victim to pills. While I knew this for years now, having worked with Alisa almost a decade ago, at my recent visit to my gynecologist, an ultrasound proved that my body healed itself and I no longer had PCOS.

This book is full of resources, yet it is not a medical journal. It is accessible, supportive, and instructive. It is not a rocket science book. It is not a miracle book. It is not a self-help book. It is an empowerment book. You do need to focus, you do need to take charge of your health. You do need to learn to listen to your body (which may be uncomfortable at first). And you do need to be ready to experiment. Each woman's body is different, though certain basics connect us. What works for me may not work for you, and the book will give you many options so that you can connect to the right foods which will in turn support your body's natural cycles. With time, the protocol will come naturally to you. Your body will tell you what it needs, and when it needs it. It is designed to do this already - we just lost the connection to it.

As women, we tend to need a support network in our endeavors, and besides the book to give you guidance how to start and follow the protocol, Alisa's practice has other tools to help you achieve your optimal hormonal health. While some reviewers deemed this to be negative aspect of the book, I find it to be a demonstration of the resources you have at your fingertips to be successful. Indeed, following the protocol is not like popping a pill, and having the right foundation and support around you, are key. I was fortunate enough to work with Alisa directly at her practice in Manhattan, and could receive daily support in my endeavor to beat the "unbeatable" PCOS. The book shows you how you can achieve this level of support without actually bearing full cost of working with a practitioner in person.

Finally, the protocol is not a diet. It is a non-medicinal tool to ensure my hormonal health is at a balance while living life fully. I used Alisa's methods to cleanse my body first, and now I use it to maintain balance. I eat what I want, when I want it. But my body tells me what it needs and I listen. And the balance is maintained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for all women, 13 Sep 2013
K. Meager (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I'd seen Alisas tips on twitter and thought they were interesting. I don't have any major issues health wise but was keen to learn how to work my diet and lifestyle with my hormones. Since reading Alisas book (and putting some of it into practice) my period pains have all but diminished, as has any pmt ( just ask my partner). Well worth it, highly recommended by me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should read this, 9 Sep 2013
Awesome book written by someone who understands women's fertility amazingly well. Great to have a book which deals with things from a dietary perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Research..is key, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Womancode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source (Paperback)
This book is a great way to get the information needed to understand some of the symptoms you may be experiencing like PCOS or Fibrosis ...etc. I really enjoyed it and found it a good starting point that is both informative and encouraging.

I do believe you would have to do more research...like visiting the main website (floliving) and or reading other books such as natural solutions to PCOS.

Always empower your self by embracing the many information out on the big wide web. I believe there is always a solution.

hope this is helpful,
good luck all-

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 8 April 2014
Great style, lots of information, thorough and inspiring bibliography, lots of case studies, practical tips, lots of recipes and shopping list ideas. I found this book a revelation in natural PCO healing and find myself re-reading it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 15 Jan 2014
Following the advice in the book gave me great results where more than a handful of doctors failed misserably. I recommend it to any and every woman out there.