Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 January 2012
This book has actually been printed before, under a different title, a few years ago called "When the Women Come Out to Dance". The stories are exactly the same, in the same order, with nothing new added, just a different title: "Fire in the Hole".

I read "When the Women..." a while back but I remember liking it, so if you haven't read that then picking that up, or this new edition, is worth it. It includes the short story that led to the Tim Olyphant FX series "Justified", if you're a fan of that.

But for fans of Elmore Leonard, don't be fooled by the title, the master has not written a new book here, it's just the publisher trying to make a quick buck.
on 10 January 2013
First Leonard book I've ever read and I loved it. I went into it knowing I'd enjoy it - being a fan of Justified, the tv show based on 'Fire in the Hole' - but not as much as I did. I'd say it's a good place to start if you want to get into his writing.
on 26 August 2013
Elmore Leonard died this week but his legacy will live on and on and on. This book is just one fine example of why. What makes his stories so great are his straight ahead plots and his characters with their interesting idiosyncratic behavior.

Elmore Leonard is one of the best to have ever written in the crime genre. What I have consistently found amazing over the past 25 years that I have been reading Elmore Leonard is that I always read at least half the book whenever I start a new book, because his writing style is so smooth and engaging. Teddy Hayes "author Devil Barnett novels"
on 28 March 2015
Others comment on the great American crime novelist more competently than I so it's best left to them. Suffice to say, I've read all his crime books and many of the westerns and some I have reread. He has no competitors in plotting and in his characters' dialogue and speech patterns.
on 19 January 2015
Book arrived in tip top condition as described, dispatch was also quite prompt, thank you. Not read all the stories yet but the few I have are very well put together, not the endings you would think which makes for a very interesting read. Action packed short stories .
on 17 July 2014
bought this because I love 'Justified' and the series is based on fire in the hole. Enjoyed the book although Elmore Leonard had a particular style of writing that is different, but still enjoyable once you get into it
on 12 May 2015
Another by the (mostly) excellent Elmore Leonard, especially when writing about Raylan Givens (the character the splendid series Justified is based upon) as here...
on 14 August 2013
I first read this book a long time ago when it was published under a different title, but enjoyed re reading it, some great characters and dialogue
on 8 January 2014
I watched the Justified series and wanted to read the books it was based on. Not my usual reading material. I am thoroughly enjoying them
on 21 July 2013
If you're a fan, you'll love it. If you haven't tried any of his books, here's a good place to start.