5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!
Published 12 months ago by Ms. C. Mcintosh

Really helpful and measured compared to the usual "baby routine" books - I can take or leave some of the more dogmatic stuff but these tips have definitely helped me to have a more calm and easily settled bub.
Published 16 months ago by catz_b@hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 15 Aug 2013
Ms. C. Mcintosh (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep: Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years (Paperback)
The irony is that I'm so excited about finally finding a method that is both realistic and effective, now I can't sleep myself! My 9 week old, however, is happily asleep in his swaddle and with the white noise of the sea piping from my iPod in his crib... Unlike many parenting books and online sources, this book is positive, encouraging, humorous and NOT CONDESCENDING. It doesn't treat new parents, who are already vulnerable and sensitive, like idiots who have foolishly created bad habits that it will be hell to break out of in the future - no blame games or fear tactics here. Instead, Harvey understands how natural, intuitive and enjoyable it is to rock, cuddle and feed your baby, and that doing these things wont bring on doomsday! It explains how sleep works, which is both interesting and important in understanding the sleep cycles and possible sleep problems of both babies and adults, reminds us how every baby is different and has their own unique personality, and FINALLY answers questions such as how to teach them to self soothe. Lots of books tell you to do this but don't explain how to realistically achieve it, for example how to gently wake your wee one for a few seconds after they fall asleep after a feed. Importantly, the book also has advice on weaning these sleep aids, again which many others don't, and is therefore reassuring. After reading so many confidence knocking and conflicting pieces of advice, finally I feel understood and trusted as a parent and encouraged to persevere, and that I finally have some answers to the enigma of babyhood!

4.0 out of 5 stars so simple and it works, 18 Mar 2014
Have been applying the tips on my one month old, and she has gone from a howler to a happy smiley baby almost overnight, the two top tips are swaddling and playing white noise in the night - always knew this but didn't take it up seriously enough before reading the book and learning the merits of the 5 S's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Feb 2014
Amazing book. Well worth the money to understand why your new baby won't stop crying and is fraught with the world. The incessant crying night after night. The 4th trimester is 'real' and if you've come out of the other side this book is wonderful at explaining why it happens. And that your baby doesn't hate you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful tips as long as you don't apply it religiously, 14 April 2013
catz_b@hotmail.com (Nijmegen, Netherlands) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sleep, 5 Feb 2013
This book gives great practical advice that is useful both at a personal family level and for professional child carers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read especially for 'fussy' babies!, 18 Aug 2014
Love this book! Great for 'fussy babies' or 'spirited' babies as the book describes! I was losing the plot having to fight my then one month old to sleep every night, after reading this book as fast as I could, that night my baby was asleep in about 15 minutes rather than 2 - 3 hours!! Recommend the 5 S's , I thought this was rubbish when I read it but tried it and baby fell to sleep really easily, now my baby is 3 and a half months old and we have no problems with his sleep. I am now reading the 3 months onwards chapter and trying the methods provided and he will now go into his cot awake and will fall asleep alone! Very pleased with this book and it is also humorous to read , making you want to keep reading and not fall asleep! I recommend this to all my pregnant friends especially those that are new mums, as lets face it babies do not come with manuals!

5.0 out of 5 stars would buy again, 13 Jun 2014
Excellent book, help to new parents. Helps you feel confident and better understand your new baby. It is full of useful ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for mums and dads with new babies, 14 May 2013
I wish I'd bought this book sooner. My son is 6 months old now and while this book is fantastic I feel the advice in it would work better if I'd started implementing it when he was born. Highly recommended for new parents.

1.0 out of 5 stars The copy was a fake, 5 Sep 2013
The author is fab and his book. However, as soon as I received the book, I could tell it was a fake. Flimsy poor quality paper and text too small and not line up correctly inside. So my gripe is with the publisher/seller of the book, not the author. Any_books did not even respond to my message to them....

7.68