on 2 April 2015
I've been following the advice from this book from the time my baby was three weeks old (now seven weeks). This consistently works to soothe my baby and make him fall asleep. However, it hasn't helped keep him asleep, which was our biggest problem (I'm not expecting a full night - but every 30 minutes is too much!).
I like the emphasis on safe sleep, and I think that it's so nice that he encourages you to hold your baby and nurse them to sleep without feeling guilty about creating bad sleep associations.
Although it hasn't totally worked for us, there is some really good advice in here and reading this book made me feel better when we were struggling. It's the best of the several sleep books I've read.
I also bought his white noise CD - I'm not sure if it helps my baby sleep, but I really enjoy not hearing our neighbour's TV! I'll keep using it even when we move the little one into his own room.
on 18 August 2014
Love this book! Great for 'fussy babies' or 'spirited' babies as the book describes! I was losing the plot having to fight my then one month old to sleep every night, after reading this book as fast as I could, that night my baby was asleep in about 15 minutes rather than 2 - 3 hours!! Recommend the 5 S's , I thought this was rubbish when I read it but tried it and baby fell to sleep really easily, now my baby is 3 and a half months old and we have no problems with his sleep. I am now reading the 3 months onwards chapter and trying the methods provided and he will now go into his cot awake and will fall asleep alone! Very pleased with this book and it is also humorous to read , making you want to keep reading and not fall asleep! I recommend this to all my pregnant friends especially those that are new mums, as lets face it babies do not come with manuals!
on 18 March 2014
Have been applying the tips on my one month old, and she has gone from a howler to a happy smiley baby almost overnight, the two top tips are swaddling and playing white noise in the night - always knew this but didn't take it up seriously enough before reading the book and learning the merits of the 5 S's.
on 14 April 2013
Really helpful and measured compared to the usual "baby routine" books - I can take or leave some of the more dogmatic stuff but these tips have definitely helped me to have a more calm and easily settled bub.
on 29 March 2016
I bought this book when my little boy was 8 weeks old as I was trying to learn about good sleeping habits. However, this book keeps going on and on about swaddling and no thought for the babies who hate being restricted. It basically says that if your baby doesn't like it, you're doing it wrong because ALL babies love it. The 5Ss (apart from the swaddling) have all been part of our routine and it's a hit and miss at times. White noise works some times but not every time. I'm taking SOME advice from it. I'm really pleased for the babies/parents who have a great little sleeper after this; but this definitely doesn't work for me. Will continue to look for alternatives.
on 5 February 2013
This book gives great practical advice that is useful both at a personal family level and for professional child carers
on 5 December 2015
Fantastic guide with real, simple techniques that you can start applying immediately. My three month old now falls asleep within 30 seconds of me starting the white noise and I've only been using it for a week! Couldn't recommend this book any higher. A must have for new parents - wish I had this book when I had my first child.
on 13 March 2015
excellent book, worth getting as well as the DVD (same title), though for a first time introduction to Dr. Karp I would recommend the DVD first. The book is more detailed and an excellent source of advice and wisdom - sort of instruction manual for small babies!
on 27 February 2015
Could not have managed without this book, best recommendation ever...used it from day 1 & refer back to it, worked for us. Every new parent should be given this book
on 13 June 2014
Excellent book, help to new parents. Helps you feel confident and better understand your new baby. It is full of useful ideas.