4.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this one down
Published on 8 Jun 2012 by R Raybould

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better
Other reviewers have commented on the frankness of this book but I feel that Gregg takes little responsibility for many of his actions(see the Scooter Herring section).Another gripe I have, and this is common of many bands whose glory days are long past by,is that too much of the book is devoted to the early years and very little to the period 1989-2012.
Published 21 months ago by laurence turner

4.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this one down, 8 Jun 2012
R Raybould "richard17025" (Newport, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Cross to Bear (Hardcover)
As an Allman Brothers Band fan of more than 35 years standing I was very keen to read Gregg's autobiography. Part of his justification for writing the book was to clear up a lot of the nonsense that's been written about him and the band over the last 40 years or so. It was very interesting to read his side of the story in particular about the relationship between the Band and Dickey Betts and how that all fell apart. Of less interest we also have some insight to his six marriages; in particular the one to Cher. Thankfully this was not the kind of demeaning kiss and tell junk that we see in the UK tabloids.

I most enjoyed the tales of life on the road and the making and recording of the music and of course the memories of his late, and truly great, brother Duane. Very insightful without being sickly sweet.

It's nice to read the story in one volume of a man (dare I say) in late middle age when he really has a lot of life to reflect on. The book is well written and so flows well; as I mentioned in the title.

You may well ask why not 5 stars? Well, there was a fairly constant irritant for me. A lot of the stories, many of more than 40 years vintage, were conveyed via quotations. The quotations contained a lot of strong adult language. Now given GA's admitted heavy use of drink and drugs I cannot believe that he can really remember exactly what was said all that time ago. I am no prude and would admit to using similar language myself with a bunch of male friends over a few drinks in private, but somehow it was just a bit too much on the printed page.

Never the less, this is a "must read" for all ABB / GA fans!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insight into Gregg Allman, 15 May 2012
This review is from: My Cross to Bear (Hardcover)
You can never get enough information into a biography and this book could have been 1000 pages and still been interesting. Gregg Allman lived a life of music, drugs,alcohol and partying that would make any rock star envious today.
I am a huge fan of his music and I admire him as an honest gentle human being.
I am not impressed with some of his lifestyle choices and being married 6 or 7 times has gotta be a record for a rock star.
The Allman Brothers had the best ever guitarist Duane Allman and one of the greatest singers in Gregg.
This book is an honest account of a man who is now prepared to enjoy his life and has become a spiritual man and a humble man.
It does cover his marriages, his issues with Dicky Betts and others. If your interested in how the recording process worked then you will be disappointed as little is covered there.
I enjoyed this book but I believe there is a lot more that could have been told.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read and honest too., 22 Oct 2012
Having never been a massive Allman brothers fan I would not usually have bought this book. However it was recommended to me and I'm glad I bought it as it was a really good read. Very interesting and an illuminating look at what it was like to be in one of America's biggest bands. You don't need to like the Allman brothers to like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, showing growth of a man. Brilliant., 5 Sep 2012
Very well written and flows along. A riveting read, showing the moments of greatness, weakness and humanity. The books shows the growth of a man, a universal story. The enhanced version was superb, with embedded audio and video (on the iPad make sure the little sound-effects button is on).

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best autobiographies I've read., 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: My Cross to Bear (Paperback)
A great read which I recommend to anyone who hasn't yet picked up a copy.
I thought Gregg came over as full of warmth and very "human". He speaks again and again so positivey of the people he has met and worked with. Of course there is the exception of D. Betts. I felt Gregg was fooling himself a little there. He acknowledges the years he himself was fuckin up because of the alcohol and then seems quite hard when it comes to the shows ruined by the guitarist's drinking. And from the way he himself describes it, it does sound pretty much like he got the "you're out" news in a fax. But having said that, betts comes over very controlling and power hungry. I wasn't there, and it's one man's side of the story, but it does sound like he was a pain in the ass.
The deaths are covered with real emotion, and I think Allman writes about his loss with a depth of emotion that is very moving. But even though he says so himself, I don't think he realises how much he idolises his brother, and how much Duane became the father figure he needed. Subsequently, his feelings about the band became intwined so deeply with his feeings for his brother that it becomes impossible for him to treat the Alman Brothers Band in anyway separate to his loss or love for his brother. I may be reading too much into it there, but the continuation of the band seemed to become a way for him of expressing his love for Duane.
The Gov't Mule folk come out of it very well, and as well as leading me back to all my old Allman Bros albums I'm now in the mood to listen to more of their stuff.
A great, entertaining read that does sound like the guy is sitting there telling his story. The professional writers did a great job of keeping his authentic voice on the page. As a result of reading this I feel a lot closer and more engaged with music that enjoyed for many years but which has now taken on added meaning. Nice one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining read, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: My Cross to Bear (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read for all Allmans fans, a real warts and all account of the band's history and music, written in an entertaining style. Of particular interest were Gregg's accounts of some of the fierce in fighting within the band and the factions that grew within it over the years, particularly the final few months of Dickey Betts' time in the band before he was fired. Very entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
ty

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 22 May 2013
S. Bray "thinelvis" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Cross to Bear (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of biographies, especially ones relating to musicians. It's always hard with autobiographies to know how much is being glossed over or just avoided. Gregg Allman doesn't seem to be trying to make himself look any different to how he is. It's not a secret that he's had his problems with various substances but it's rare to find anyone quite so honest about it. Most of the book focusses on the music which is, after all, what most readers will care about. Allman goes into a lot more detail on the early years and, overall, I think the balance is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could'nt read it fast enought , a great book giving you a real personal insight., 29 April 2013
This review is from: My Cross to Bear (Paperback)
A must have read for any abb fan or classic rock fan.This inside account by Greggory Allman really fleshes out all the stories about Gregg , Duane and the band that have previously been written about , but in a more personel and detailed way.

My Cross to Bear
My Cross to Bear by Gregg Allman (Hardcover - 1 May 2012)