Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2014
"The Great Escape" by Susan Elizabeth Phillips is sequel to her popular novel "Call Me Irresistible", and seventh in author's series that introduced us to characters from Wynette, but those last two were too most popular titles mainly for women audience.

In this book, author continues the story from her previous work, telling a story about main character Lucy Jorik (main character from previous book Meg's best friend), who lead perfect life being daughter to the one of the most famous women in the world until her wedding day when instead marrying a great guy named Ted, she will escape from the church with an almost complete stranger, named Panda, on his motorcycle.

While all the known and unknown people will be searching for her, she will realize that she must first find herself, needs to change herself if she wants to survive in a world full of people different than the ones she was used to live nearby.
Slowly, she will learn lot about her mystery companion man, and while revealing his disturbed past she will realize they too have lot in common.

Her escape will take her far away, at the end all the way to the beach house on Great Lakes where she would for the first time understand that she is really getting to know strange man because of which her life was so drastically changed...

I wouldn't want for you to understand me wrong and I don't want to sound sexist, but this is truly a novel for women.
And by that, I don't think anything bad, but simply its motives, plot, and especially the outcome of the novel are such that they will have far more appeal to female readers than to the man, and I'm sure that was author's intention.

I read only the previous title this author wrote, and this time like the last she is going to take reader for a romantic journey while introducing some new and interesting characters.
As it can be expected, it's not always realistic but in this type of literature a bit of imagination is more than welcome to be able to enjoy it fully.

The woman readers for sure will sympathize Panda character compared to Ted, because of his troubled past and rebel present, and the story of his life, although somewhat clichéd and expected doesn't spoil too much the overall impression of the novel.
Probably the best part of the novel is its locations that are both well-described and provide good setting for story.

And while the novel's beginning was somehow rushed and everything happens somewhat inexplicably and unconvincing, as the action progresses more, novel is becoming more convincing and of better quality, therefore who knows what the final impression will be it was a several pages longer.

Overall, this is a good romance story women readers will love, and besides those several flaws, work that can be recommended.
on 12 July 2012
As a big SEP fan, I was a little disappointed with this book. It is definitely one of my least favourites. While I respect her efforts to raise awareness, I think she tried to tackle too many issues- racism, PTSD, children at risk; and everything came off a little too pat. Personally, I did not fall in love with the characters as I have with her other books. The book did have it's moments and is worth a read, but if you're new to SEP, do not start with this. If you're an old hand, don't be too excited, this book is not her normal standard of amazing.
on 2 December 2012
My first Susan Elizabeth Phillips book was Breathing Room. Loved the hero and heroine and their first meeting was a hoot. After that I made a point of reading all her stuff and particularly enjoyed the baseball and the golf series. I was disappointed with the one that preceded this, but this is a bit worse. The effort taken to match up the families from her previous books was very contrived, the stories required quite a lot of suspension of belief. Some of the characters were believable and some quite funny, but there is a strong propensity by Ms Phillips in many of her books to match up all the secondary characters and give them all happy ever after endings as well. It negates the characters' tough and fiesty beginning. Anyway, Lucy jilts her fiance at zero hour, runs off on the back of Panda's (yes, Panda) motorbike and won't let him go because she's scared to face her society friends and ex-fiance. Then of course Panda is not who he seems to be. It was all a bit meandering and introduced characters who all ended up happily paired up and re-introduced others from previous books in a schmaltzy way.
Such a shame, I like her books normally.
on 28 January 2015
I could not put this book down from start to finish! I love reading Susan Elizabeth's Phillips books, no matter what she pulls it out of the bag!
on 3 June 2013
I'm a huge Susan Elizabeth Phillips fan. Ever since I stumbled upon Natural Born Charmer I've devoured any SEP book I could find and you know what they say about too much of a good thing, before long every book started seeming same-y same-y to me. So it was around about the time this book was about to get published that I decided to take a break from Susan's books (better to take a break & come back than stop reading all together right?).

Recently, my librarian asked me to send her a list of books I wanted to read and after (a lot of) searching for some that I knew would be good, I finally went for my failsafe when it comes to a great read - A Susan Elizabeth Phillips book.

I loved diving in to Panda & Lucy's story after such a long time. It was just what I needed after reading such intense books for so long. It had some great twists in it, all of which I wasn't expecting. I think they were more surprising because it's the first time Susan's used twists in her stories (at least from what I can remember of her other books). Twists in an SEP book? Yes please!

It took all my willpower to finish reading the book though; I really had to use all the perseverance I had in me to read the last 70- odd pages. I can't tell you how many times I almost didn't finish the book, but then to get so far and not finish? I couldn't do it. I thought Panda & Lucy's storyline could have been told with fewer pages to be honest, the rest of it just seemed unnecessary.

The stars of the book for me were Toby, Bree and Temple. When I felt like DNFing the book they are what kept me reading.

When everything's said & done would I recommend the book to somebody? Of course! Despite the fact that I think it dragged on a little too much, you can't get any better than SEP. If you're looking for a read with witty dialogue and laugh out loud moments to go with your romance then this (or any SEP book for that matter) is the one for you.
on 12 April 2013
I liked the book because when I've read it I just wanted some easy read that would take my mind away from the daily issues. So the book served it's purpose, but I think most of it was very predictable and it did not make any special impression on me.
on 5 September 2012
I LOVE Susan Elizabeth Phillips' books and the moment they hit stands I am usually first in line to buy them - or pre-order. But this one was a little disappointing to say the least. The idea behind it is good and as much as the beginning and some parts in the middle are sizzling with tension and passion, most of the books makes you more want to skip and get deeply into it. The idea has a few good points, but a lot of very weird angles and ideas as well, to an extend which makes you question the idea behind it and the story telling. Most of the characters are very nice and you grow to like them, but a few are just plain annoying and make you not want to know anything more about it. There even were parts of the book I simply skipped, cause the idea and story just did not interest me for a while. Have her books before this one been good and strong, with great characters and storylines, this one lacks quite a lot - especially in the creativity and where to take the characters. As bad as it sounds, the blurb - or flap text - sounds a whole lot better and seems to promise quite a bit more than what the actual book is able to deliver. If you are new to SJP, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. If you are a SJP fan and have loved her work, go for the book but don't have too high expectations.
on 14 January 2013
I have to say that I am a massive SEP fan I have read all her books. I was slightly dissapointed with this- it was slighly rushed and then was too slow in other places.
on 22 August 2012
I am so conflicted about what to write in this review - since I love SEP! I would say that it is a good book, but not up to her usual standard for me.
I have no doubt that there will be readers out there who will enjoy it - but don't let this be your first SEP experience. I understand what she was trying to do with Lucy (giving her a taste of the childhood she didn't have), but I just found her a bit difficult to love. Panda was cool. I liked him. :) As usual, there are several sidelines and that kept the book entertaining, but I still felt like there was some zing missing.
Still a keeper for me!
on 6 August 2012
Being an avid "Seppie" I have been waiting for this book for 6 months!! And boy was I disappointed! There are elements of her excellent earlier books and it is very easy to read but it didn't quite manage to match her usual excellence. Normally her books take me a day or two to read and this took me almost a week. I had to force myself to finish the book although I wasn't really that bothered about the characters. And, quite frankly, having a main man who is supposed to be a secret bodyguard for the privileged, being called PANDA is just plain wrong. Worth a read but wait for the price to drop before buying.