5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, beautifully written, highly recommended
I've enjoyed Gretchen Rubin's blog for many months now so was excited to hear about her book. And when I read it? Utterly brilliant. Really! The book is not just the blog printed out; it's a whole different thing.

Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Max

3.0 out of 5 stars Two cheers for Gretchen
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by Simon Bendle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, beautifully written, highly recommended, 27 Mar 2010
Max (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

She writes SO well, such a warm and engaging and personal style. (I'm tempted to read the biographies she'd written before this, even though I wouldn't normally read biographies, just because she writes so well.)

And the content? Fascinating! Trying out lots of things with an open mind, things that others say will make you happy and seeing what it's like.

I can't praise this book highly enough. It's the best book I've read for a long time, fiction or non-fiction. It made me happy just to read it!

And at the end of it? I'm thinking about what makes me happy and how I can try out some of her ideas for myself. And if a book changes how you think or behave, then it's a Very Good Book.

I do hope someone else discovers what a great book this is because of what I'm writing here. That would make me very happy too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness Project, 13 Feb 2010
Very well written, thought provoking, well researched, and full of positive and easily achievable ideas - it gives the impression of someone who is most caring, wishing for everyone to be as happy as they can be. Great website too.

5.0 out of 5 stars First step to happiness... read Rubin's Book, 13 Feb 2010
I appear to have accidentally read this book in less than 24hrs...
Usually I attempt to savour a good book but Rubin's well balanced blend of personal experiences, relevant quotes from inspirational figures and applications of positive psychology research was too enjoyable to put down.

The Happiness Project - it may not cure cancer or single-handedly rescue you from the paralysis of depression but if you aspire to being more present and better able to savour the little moments of enjoyment that everyday life can reveal, then this book is definitely for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Add a bit of sparkle to your life., 15 May 2010
Kindle Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is not a guide for beating depression, but a great place to find ideas to bring a bit more happiness into your life. The author did not start off unhappy, but in that rut most of us get to from time to time. A great guide to reinvigorating your life and relationships, and adding a spring to your step. Not everything in this book will suit everyone, but there are enough ideas here to give everyone a good choice of ideas. A good book to keep by your bedside to go back to every now and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Happiness Project, 14 Feb 2010
Nuria Roca (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
The Happiness Project is a great book for anyone interested in being happy. Very well written, it has an attractive combination of profound insight and practical advice, together with real life anecdotes that make it an easy reading. The structure of monthly goals and resolutions is clear and full of good ideas. Wonderful website also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 29 Oct 2010
Ms. Sally Warner (Brentwood, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book, cannot fail to be inspiring, just implementing one or two of Gretchen's ideas has made a difference... Happier daughter, happier hubby, happier me... This book isn't a cure for anything but it's well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly inspiring book..!!!, 7 July 2010
I ordered this book because the title seemed really interesting and not only was I not disappointed, but I found it the most suitable book I could read during this period of my life. It is directed to all those people who are not depressed, but feel there is room for much more conscious happiness in their everyday life. It is very pleasant, the author has a unique writing style and she tackles a subject that at first sight seems very vague with a really structured and at the same time inspiring manner.
This book represents me so much that during most of the passages I felt it could be me writing it. I have already put into practise many of her ideas!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An AMAZING book....., 18 May 2010
I came across this book by accident and then asked for it for my birthday last week and am delighted with my present. I have almost finished it- am on the last chapter but I am already planning my own "Happiness Project". I have been fascinated by happiness for years and am always reading the latest book on the subject but this book is very special. I makes me smile just to think of it, it has so many "light bulb" moments and makes you feel positive just to read it. Treat yourself and make yourself happier and those around you too. Check out her website,it is full of gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 22 July 2010
Loved this book and read it in 2 days. It wasn't what I expected, I was expecting lots of ideas with little background substance but this book was obviously well researched and author hasn't just thrown something together, there is even a brilliant website that links into this so you can carry on and increase your own happiness quota. So many books of this type are utterly forgetable so this was refreshing, profound and quite useable. Really made me think about small (and larger) ways to improve everyday life to make things happier and made me want to get on with it straight away - I challenge anyone to read this and not want to try it out

3.0 out of 5 stars Two cheers for Gretchen, 18 Jun 2012
Simon Bendle (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
On the plus side there are some good quotes here from all sorts of different writers: Mark Twain, Tolstoy, Erasmus, Jerry Seinfeld. But I found many of Rubin's observations banal. I couldn't see what was interesting about a rich, happy, and happily married writer devoting a year of her life to making herself even more cheerful. And, call me cynical, was this really a genuine Happiness Project - or a Let's-Spend-A-Year-Gathering-Material-For-A-New-Book-About-Happiness Project?

The Happiness Project
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Oct 2011)
4.86