5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, beautifully written, highly recommended
I've enjoyed Gretchen Rubin's blog for many months now so was excited to hear about her book. And when I read it? Utterly brilliant. Really! The book is not just the blog printed out; it's a whole different thing.

Published on 27 Mar. 2010 by Max

1.0 out of 5 stars smug and inward-looking
Published 4 months ago by Sarah Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, beautifully written, highly recommended, 27 Mar. 2010
Max (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

She writes SO well, such a warm and engaging and personal style. (I'm tempted to read the biographies she'd written before this, even though I wouldn't normally read biographies, just because she writes so well.)

And the content? Fascinating! Trying out lots of things with an open mind, things that others say will make you happy and seeing what it's like.

I can't praise this book highly enough. It's the best book I've read for a long time, fiction or non-fiction. It made me happy just to read it!

And at the end of it? I'm thinking about what makes me happy and how I can try out some of her ideas for myself. And if a book changes how you think or behave, then it's a Very Good Book.

I do hope someone else discovers what a great book this is because of what I'm writing here. That would make me very happy too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 29 Oct. 2010
Ms. Sally Warner (Brentwood, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book, cannot fail to be inspiring, just implementing one or two of Gretchen's ideas has made a difference... Happier daughter, happier hubby, happier me... This book isn't a cure for anything but it's well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness Project, 13 Feb. 2010
Very well written, thought provoking, well researched, and full of positive and easily achievable ideas - it gives the impression of someone who is most caring, wishing for everyone to be as happy as they can be. Great website too.

5.0 out of 5 stars First step to happiness... read Rubin's Book, 13 Feb. 2010
I appear to have accidentally read this book in less than 24hrs...
Usually I attempt to savour a good book but Rubin's well balanced blend of personal experiences, relevant quotes from inspirational figures and applications of positive psychology research was too enjoyable to put down.

The Happiness Project - it may not cure cancer or single-handedly rescue you from the paralysis of depression but if you aspire to being more present and better able to savour the little moments of enjoyment that everyday life can reveal, then this book is definitely for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars smug and inward-looking, 13 Feb. 2015
Have just got to chapter three and like other reviewers I'm not sure I can cope with the banality of this book for much longer. The author has just written a whole chapter on congratulating herself for nagging her husband less. This didn't seem to involve any self-awareness of what a tedious boring nag she clearly is. At one point she is pleased with herself for 'instead of barking out "Now remember you promised to figure out what's wrong with the video camera." she just says "Camera" as her husband gets up from lunch. She has a friend who doesn't say things like "Fix the toilet, it's running again" to her husband, and considers this is an 'impossible ideal, yet inspiring'. She applauds herself for suppressing her desire for praise after she's sent out a pile of Valentine's card to relatives with 'an adorable' picture of her children in ballerina outfits. Oh please. It's all making me quite nauseous. I'll pursue it until the end and hopefully there'll be some major twist which brings about the apocalypse or something similar. If so, I will update my review accordingly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Add a bit of sparkle to your life., 15 May 2010
Kindle Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is not a guide for beating depression, but a great place to find ideas to bring a bit more happiness into your life. The author did not start off unhappy, but in that rut most of us get to from time to time. A great guide to reinvigorating your life and relationships, and adding a spring to your step. Not everything in this book will suit everyone, but there are enough ideas here to give everyone a good choice of ideas. A good book to keep by your bedside to go back to every now and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Happiness Project, 14 Feb. 2010
Nuria Roca (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
The Happiness Project is a great book for anyone interested in being happy. Very well written, it has an attractive combination of profound insight and practical advice, together with real life anecdotes that make it an easy reading. The structure of monthly goals and resolutions is clear and full of good ideas. Wonderful website also.

5.0 out of 5 stars An AMAZING book....., 18 May 2010
I came across this book by accident and then asked for it for my birthday last week and am delighted with my present. I have almost finished it- am on the last chapter but I am already planning my own "Happiness Project". I have been fascinated by happiness for years and am always reading the latest book on the subject but this book is very special. I makes me smile just to think of it, it has so many "light bulb" moments and makes you feel positive just to read it. Treat yourself and make yourself happier and those around you too. Check out her website,it is full of gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 22 July 2010
Loved this book and read it in 2 days. It wasn't what I expected, I was expecting lots of ideas with little background substance but this book was obviously well researched and author hasn't just thrown something together, there is even a brilliant website that links into this so you can carry on and increase your own happiness quota. So many books of this type are utterly forgetable so this was refreshing, profound and quite useable. Really made me think about small (and larger) ways to improve everyday life to make things happier and made me want to get on with it straight away - I challenge anyone to read this and not want to try it out

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of feel-good, 14 Feb. 2012
Ordered this book by pot luck - and am delighted. It's one of those books that makes life better every time you read a little - and encourages you to make the little efforts that make BIG differences to life. I'm one of the people who , like Gretchen, feels I 'should' be happier than I am because I have most things I need in life... And this book succeeds in making me realise that happiness. I know it might sound really corny, but honestly, it's one of the best books I've ever read. Thank you Gretchen

Happiness Project Export
Happiness Project Export by Gretchen Rubin (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Oct. 2011)