Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2008
The pace is a bit slow, but an enjoyable read nevertheless.
Careful though, Amazon is offering this book with A Cold Case in a duo, they are the same book with different titles!
on 28 December 2008
Just a word of warning - 'Cold Case' and this book are the same story with different titles. Thanks to the other person who has put this also - I nearly bought it!
When the police see a crime that's unusual, they check their records to see if there are any other similar crimes. When the details match, they often find that the same person was responsible. Career criminals frequently repeat themselves. What's rare, however, is when 15 years separate the two incidents. What does it mean then?

That's the question that Lieutenant Peter Decker faces when the LAPD is offered a large reward for finding the murderer of a well-beloved teacher, Bennett Little (Dr. Ben to many of his students), that occurred 15 years earlier. To make matters a little simpler (or more complicated?), Decker's daughter caught the squeal on the second murder.

From there, the book settles down into a slow-moving police procedural where you have to keep track of all the connections among the various people to make sense of the mystery. Even then, the results may seem a bit speculative until just near the end.

Normally, I like the slow unpeeling of the onion in a police procedural, but this one just didn't do it for me. Several parts of the story didn't ring true, even after thinking about them for a few days after I read the book. The characters who were introduced just for this story didn't always ring true to me either.

If you don't want to take a chance on this book, there's nothing of series significance that happens. So you have the option to skip this one, even if you are a dyed-in-the-wool Faye Kellerman fan.
on 28 March 2012
Faye Kellerman strikes again, an excellent suspense novel incorporating the Decker family. A very good read with a interesting insight into the Friday evenings of a Jewish family. I could not turn the pages fast enough on my Kindle. a very good buy from Amazon
on 25 July 2014
Just downloaded this to my kindle to find out I had just read this under the name of COLD CASE!!!! Whilst the book was a really great read I am somewhat annoyed that the publishers have re-issued Cold Case under a new title The Mercedes Coffin. I am trying to read the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series in sequence, I should have checked the book synopsis first so to everyone thinking of getting this its the same as Cold Case if you have read it. So annoying!
on 15 May 2013
unfortunately I did purchase this book , started to read and enjoy,but couldn't help thinking I had either read it before or maybe seen the plot in a TV film. Then the penny dropped, I read the reviews and realized I had read this book years ago. I was disappointed cos I thought it was a new book that I hadn't yet read.
on 24 May 2013
This is a thoroughly enjoyable book, on a par with the rest of her work Watch out, though, because it's the same as "Cold Case" - but with a different title
on 31 December 2012
I have read all Faye Kellerman's novels and this one doesn't disappoint. She has a great way of tying her characters together and weaving in past plots .
on 28 November 2012
Easy reading and thoroughly enjoyable good story line as all Decker/Lazarus series are you know you can relie on it keeping your intrest through out.
on 20 March 2013
Came in plenty of time. Looks good. Good value for money. Was pleased with the item. No problems with the purchase, would definately recommend.