5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Evil.
Published 23 months ago by YA Book Lover

1.0 out of 5 stars The Book Geek
Southern girl + supernatural beings + psychic abilities = Sookie Stackhouse novels = awesome! Right?

Published on 5 July 2012 by Emily May

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Evil., 28 July 2012
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) (Paperback)
I love this book, It's completely different from anything I've read. I've read about fallen angels and angels yes, but not about their children and that their children have to do bad things. Anna is your normal good girl, who was adopted by a human. She has no idea what she is, but then she meets Kai and things start to heat up. I really enjoyed this book, it's a enjoyable read and keeps the reader interested throughout. It ends just right: making the reader want the next book right away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some rise by sin, some by virtue fall! A lovely bitter sweet paranormal romance!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) (Paperback)
What first attracted me to this book was the cover. The contrast between the red and the black was quite striking and yet soft at the same time. When combined with a series of interesting reviews and recommendations to be read, I had no choice but to pick up a digital copy of my own.

Upon first encounter with Anna, I have to say that I wasn't her biggest fan. Meek, quiet and with an almost annoying urge to always do what's right and never lie, she was as close as it could get to being defined a saint. It was almost sickening and I could have sworn my ipad took on a saintly glow of its own for a while.
Combined with an initially slowed and calm pace I wasn't particularly gripped. But Anna's peculiar abilities had me wondering a few things and like most readers I wanted answers, so I ploughed on.

I was soon rewarded, as it was not very long at all when Sweet Evil took on an interesting turn, and I could no longer put it down without having thoughts about it at the back of my mind.

What would happen to our little miss goody-two-shoes if she met the right combination of attraction and evil?
Kaidan was dark, dangerous and oozed sin. Beautifully conflicted, he's her polar opposite. For the first time ever she wants something that goes against her very own do-gooder nature and has the strength to go after it.

Kai stirred her humanity and as she slowly learned more about her true nature she became more human.
Having Anna explore sin whilst Kai in return explored innocence was, as the title suggests, sweetly evil and rather comical at times.
I found the irony of this fact, in a bitter sweet evil setting wonderfully appropriate and added depth to an already interesting read.

Whilst these two characters explored each other and their respective worlds, Wendy Higgins cleverly weaved into their story several themes. Greed, pride, lust and gluttony were shown under different lights, allowing me to see them from both angel and demonic points of view. I found that by doing so the author brought her wonderfully paranormal story back to our reality, relating it to what we know.

With an initial slow start and almost detached approach, Sweet Evil slowly built to a desperately beautiful passion.
Who would have thought that a sinful creature from hell would have been willing to sacrifice itself to save the innocence it so wanted to take, whilst virtue was all to eager to stumble and fall in the depths of sin.

Wendy Higgins's style was somewhat deceptive. Starting slow almost uninterested only to then build up to a twisting series of events and a grand temporary finale (there will be a sequel); made for a very good read. I will admit that I was cooing and blushing on few occasions. I quite liked how Wendy Higgins made Anna fantasise and become overly emotional one moment only to then end her gushy paragraph with a short sarcastic remark.
Anna was most certainly a character that grew on me as her story unfurled itself and now I desperately await the sequel so that I may worry, laugh and blush with her again.

I found this sentence at the beginning of one of the chapters and I thought it was absolute perfect representation of the tale to be told

"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall"
by William Shakespeare

If you liked this I would recommend the Predestined series by Abbi Glines and Falling Under by Gwen Hayes. Another recommendation, where although there is no demonic factor, but remains a paranormal YA nevertheless, would be the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. If on the other hand you would like something on the more angelic side of things then I would suggest the Premonition series by Amy A. Bartol. I would also perhaps think about reading the Until I Die series by Amy Plum.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Book Geek, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) (Paperback)

Sorry but no. This book is more suited to fans of Twilight, Fallen and Hush Hush who prefer their heroines weak and wimpy, whilst the guy is a control freak who makes all the decisions. If you prefer women the way they were two hundred years ago then this will suit you just fine. Otherwise, read something like Unearthly where girls still remember how to think for themselves.

Unlikable characters aside, the plot is almost non-existent. Occasionally we get a glimpse of where the author wants to take us between kissing and obsessing over the love interest - but it's a rare occurrence. I was extremely disappointed with all aspects of Sweet Evil after seeing that dark and sexy cover, I was certain I'd be able to add this to my favourites pile... sadly, it was not to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
Excellent and well written, this book hooks you from the start. Its different, quick witted and like any paranormal romance book, the main love interest is haaawwwt and the tension between the two characters is brilliant and makes you want to turn pages faster than you read! Mystery, romance, action and more, this book has it.

A MUST READ ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
To be honest I only brought this book because it was mentioned in the book 'Origin' by Jennifer L Armentrout. I'm so happy that I did because this book is amazing. Kaidan and Anna have the most intense, forbidden love. Both are nephalem and there fathers are dukes. The children of the dukes have to do there fathers work. Kaidan' father is the duke of lust and Anna's father is the duke of substance. The kids have to tempt humans to to do bad this. Anna doesn't know what she is till her 16th birthday but she has always been able to read and feel people's emotions. She goes to a club were a band is playing with her bff Jay, there she meets Kaidan playing the drums. He knows she is Nephalem bit doesn't understand how or why she is a virgin. Anna's adopted mother tells her about when she was born, but Anna can remember it and her and Kadian go on a road trip to see her father, who is in prison and a nun called sister Ruth. Kadian tells her some history and on this trip Anna has her first kiss. Yes Anna does fall in love with him but he still has to "work" and sooner or later Anna has to "work" herself. It's a good read and I can't wait to start reading the second one. There is no cliffhanger at the end just a realization that Kadian and Anna can Never be to gather or whether she will see him again. There are some great characters and maybe a hint of a love triangle. It's written from Anna's pov and written so very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea., 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
Really felt it was lacking...in so many things.

I couldn't relate to Anna and really couldn't believe in her 'relationship' with Kaidan. It was all very formulaic.

She was a Mary-Sue and he was the typical bad boy.

Not enough development and the two just didn't gel.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!! Start reading now!!, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing; my biggest regret is that I did not pick it up sooner. It has everything that I would possibly want in a book. It’s an epic love story about Angels and Demons / Good and Evil / Anna and Kaidan. Once I had started this book, I couldn’t put it down. I fell in love with Anna and especially Kaidan (the ultimate bad boy). Looking forward to reading Sweet Peril and continuing off where Sweet Evil ended. If Sweet Evil is anything to go on, this is the start of an incredible trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
This book had me on the edge of my seat...this tho g between Anna and Kaiden was truly frustrating but kept me reading on... I loved this book so worth the read...

5.0 out of 5 stars The chemistry was hot, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
What a page turner. It starts slow but then once Anna meets Kaidan it starts to hot up a lot. Loved the minor characters and the whole storyline. I have just bought the second book to continue the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars YA paranormal readers would love it!, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) (Paperback)
Confession time. I have the first two books on my kindle and somehow I jumbled the two, and I'd actually started book 2 BEFORE I read this one. (Could I get any more dumber?) But, I catastrophically managed to stop and start the first one and then come back to the second one all over again (it was a mess really). NO REGRETS though. :D

I'll keep it short and simple. There are things I liked and also things I didn't like. And sometimes, there are things I liked and yet somehow they disturbed me as well. It doesn't mean I disliked the book, because my rating wouldn't have been such in that case. It's just it is hard for me to pass a straight forward verdict on this book, it's still a bit confusing but I'll try to make it as clear as I can.

The thing that at a time unnerved and interested me was the Nephillims. They obviously aren't cute little angels.And thanks to Cassandra Clare's TMI books, I already had a preconceived notion about Nephillim so when they turned out to be almost 360 degree angled characters compared to that concept (I know I shouldn't have done that) I kind of freaked out. I couldn't approve most of the things they were doing, but I couldn't totally hate them for what they are shown as. SO that is one of my dilemmas.

Then there is Kaiden. He is a lead, so obviously he should be likeable. And yes, I really liked him, in terms of appearance and his accent and his feelings for Anne. But everything else, at times, appeared really disturbing. I know that he is the child of the Duke of Lust so that pretty much explains his job (for the sake of a spoiler-free review I'll leave the details for you to find out). And even though it sounds quite interesting and intriguing at first it started to disturb me after a point (I can't usually accept my heroes doing such a "job" *sniff*). But overall, he is a hero with dark attributes and that is a big turn on ;)

As I mentioned already, apart from the 'disturbing' aspect, It's a drool worthy book. Though Anne seemed way too naive at some parts in the beginning, she evolved a LOT throughout the book. She was a confused girl in the beginning but once she meets Kaidan, her life is never the same again, for good or bad- it's yet to find out. But I liked her. Specially her ability to sense people's feelings and Auras. At least, for me it is better than Kaidan's ability (I feel bad for that guy actually). I wish I could have the same ability as Anna (SO COOL!)

The chemistry between Kaidan and Anna is HOTT (with an extra 't' ;)) Things were steamy enough, but I liked how Wendy portrayed it without making it look like too much of a thing. And being the kind of timid person and pacifist I am, I couldn't be happier seeing the way she had dealt with violence in the book. Thanks Wendy! :D

Lastly, it's a good book. Erm, that sounded lame. But it often happens to me; when I love a book and not sure how much or to what extent, I find myself fiddling with words to come up with a statement that would be apt to express my feelings (and apparently I suck at that too). But seriously, this is a lovely, lovely book. It's disturbing, with things that may often leave you frowning and yet you won't be able to keep it down until you've finished. I usually refrain myself from reading much angel and demon, fallen and guardian angel stuff, not because I don't like them, but because I do and I'm always afraid that I might end up being disappointed with a book. But I'm happy that I took to reading this one. If you are looking for a good paranormal read, specially dealing with good/bad, angel/demon as themes, you might not want to miss this one :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy)
Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) by Wendy Higgins (Paperback - 18 May 2012)
4.49