5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Evil.
Published on 28 July 2012 by YA Book Lover

1.0 out of 5 stars The Book Geek
Southern girl + supernatural beings + psychic abilities = Sookie Stackhouse novels = awesome! Right?

Published on 5 July 2012 by Emily May

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Evil., 28 July 2012
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) (Paperback)
I love this book, It's completely different from anything I've read. I've read about fallen angels and angels yes, but not about their children and that their children have to do bad things. Anna is your normal good girl, who was adopted by a human. She has no idea what she is, but then she meets Kai and things start to heat up. I really enjoyed this book, it's a enjoyable read and keeps the reader interested throughout. It ends just right: making the reader want the next book right away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some rise by sin, some by virtue fall! A lovely bitter sweet paranormal romance!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) (Paperback)
What first attracted me to this book was the cover. The contrast between the red and the black was quite striking and yet soft at the same time. When combined with a series of interesting reviews and recommendations to be read, I had no choice but to pick up a digital copy of my own.

Upon first encounter with Anna, I have to say that I wasn't her biggest fan. Meek, quiet and with an almost annoying urge to always do what's right and never lie, she was as close as it could get to being defined a saint. It was almost sickening and I could have sworn my ipad took on a saintly glow of its own for a while.
Combined with an initially slowed and calm pace I wasn't particularly gripped. But Anna's peculiar abilities had me wondering a few things and like most readers I wanted answers, so I ploughed on.

I was soon rewarded, as it was not very long at all when Sweet Evil took on an interesting turn, and I could no longer put it down without having thoughts about it at the back of my mind.

What would happen to our little miss goody-two-shoes if she met the right combination of attraction and evil?
Kaidan was dark, dangerous and oozed sin. Beautifully conflicted, he's her polar opposite. For the first time ever she wants something that goes against her very own do-gooder nature and has the strength to go after it.

Kai stirred her humanity and as she slowly learned more about her true nature she became more human.
Having Anna explore sin whilst Kai in return explored innocence was, as the title suggests, sweetly evil and rather comical at times.
I found the irony of this fact, in a bitter sweet evil setting wonderfully appropriate and added depth to an already interesting read.

Whilst these two characters explored each other and their respective worlds, Wendy Higgins cleverly weaved into their story several themes. Greed, pride, lust and gluttony were shown under different lights, allowing me to see them from both angel and demonic points of view. I found that by doing so the author brought her wonderfully paranormal story back to our reality, relating it to what we know.

With an initial slow start and almost detached approach, Sweet Evil slowly built to a desperately beautiful passion.
Who would have thought that a sinful creature from hell would have been willing to sacrifice itself to save the innocence it so wanted to take, whilst virtue was all to eager to stumble and fall in the depths of sin.

Wendy Higgins's style was somewhat deceptive. Starting slow almost uninterested only to then build up to a twisting series of events and a grand temporary finale (there will be a sequel); made for a very good read. I will admit that I was cooing and blushing on few occasions. I quite liked how Wendy Higgins made Anna fantasise and become overly emotional one moment only to then end her gushy paragraph with a short sarcastic remark.
Anna was most certainly a character that grew on me as her story unfurled itself and now I desperately await the sequel so that I may worry, laugh and blush with her again.

I found this sentence at the beginning of one of the chapters and I thought it was absolute perfect representation of the tale to be told

"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall"
by William Shakespeare

If you liked this I would recommend the Predestined series by Abbi Glines and Falling Under by Gwen Hayes. Another recommendation, where although there is no demonic factor, but remains a paranormal YA nevertheless, would be the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. If on the other hand you would like something on the more angelic side of things then I would suggest the Premonition series by Amy A. Bartol. I would also perhaps think about reading the Until I Die series by Amy Plum.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book cover and after reading the synopsis, decided to give it a go. I happen to like books with Nephilims and I was hooked from the start of the book.

Anna lost her mother at birth and didn't know her father but she had a happy life with her adoptive mother. She led a normal life until she went to watch a band with her two best friends one night. Kaidan was the drummer of the band and he noticed that there was something different about her and asked her who her "Duke" was. She didn't know what he meant and briefly met him backstage after the gig but didn't learn much then as he was very much in demand with the ladies. Anna was determined to find out what he meant and went to see him during practice. From then on her life started to change as she learnt more about herself. She liked Kaidan and he liked her but they couldn't get close to each other because of who they were.

There were so many twists and turns and all the characters were so intriguing, I found it difficult to put this book down. I would definitely recommend this book to those who like paranormal YA with romance and suspense. Both Anna and Kaidan are interesting characters and I look forward to find out how the story unfolds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever twist, 9 Sep 2014
3.5 - 4 Stars in my Sky!

I started reading Sweet Evil back when it first came out, but managed to leave the book on the train (the horror!). By the time I finally got around to reading the entire story the hype surrounding Anna Whitt and Kaidan Rowe was pretty high; I was expecting BIG things! In actuality the story was a bit of a mixture for me, both good and not so good (but mainly good).

Anna can see auras, but has no idea why. Through her friend Jason, she meets British rocker Kaidan. It's a bit of a reverse to Bella and Edaward here, in that Anna can see everybody's feelings/auras except Kaidan's. In a bid to understand more about herself and these strange auras, Anna and Kaidan go on a road trip. Kaidan is keeping more than his share of secrets, which both Anna and the reader uncover along the way.

Anna's really cute. She's kind, sweet and trusting. The problem I had with Sweet Evil was her naivety, she just seemed too nice at times. I also found her a little immature and didn't always understand her. BUT at the same time, I rather confusingly liked Anna's niceness. She's Anna because she's so nice, but I did appreciate the moments where her inner badass came out and I hope we get to see more sassiness in the next book.

Kaidan, Kaidan, Kaidan! I've seen him listed as so many peoples ultimate BBF but was a little underwhelmed by him, at least at first (hides from the army of angry Kaidan fans). Perhaps because I'm a Brit I didn't find his accent sexy, it's just how everybody sounds round here. Anyway, Kaidan did begin to grow on me as he started to stand up for Anna and took chances to protect her. There's no doubting he's hot and all kinds of swoon-worthy but when he kept 'working' I wanted to smack him. I'm used to reading about so called man-whores in NA and Adult stories and wasn't entirely convinced by Kaidan in this role as part of a YA story. It did make sense within the concept of his job and life though.

I was really intrigued by the twins and Kopano. Kope actually seemed like a better fit for Anna because he was more willing to stand up to the Dukes. When it comes to Nephilim stories, it's hard to beat Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series but Wendy Higgins gives it a good go and takes her story in a very different direction! I would have liked to see a bit more Jace style badass fighting from Kaidan and Kope though. I loved that Kaidan is a drummer, because more often than not, it's the guitar player who gets all the love!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and unique, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
At first Sweet Evil looks and sounds like just another story you may have read many times before, only its not. Anna isn't just another girl in a paranormal story that will accept anything if it means the lead boy will notice her, she isn't stupid or self centred or reckless. She hasn't just been thrown into a world far different than what she knew before without asking questions. No, Anna is a strong female character, who may let her heart lead a little but doesn't let it rule her or the choices she makes.

When I first so this was on Scribd I instantly added it to my library, but even so it wasn't until my friend Amanda over at Book Badger recommended it did I decided to just get it over and done with. And I wasn't at all expecting to love it as much as I did. At best I thought I would like it.

As already stated, Sweet Evil has such a unique story. Firstly, Anna has always known she was different so she isn't faced with seeing the world differently one day. However, she did not know that she was a daughter of a fallen angel. That would make for a common story right? well add the fact that the fallen angels are no ordinary fallen angels, but ones that represent the 7 (and more) deadly sins themselves in charge of corrupting the souls of mortals. I could tell you which is which, but that would be giving it away ;).

Instead I will talk about that characters. Anna is such a sweet, innocent and loyal girl that her character (apart from the daughter of a fallen angel part) is totally relatable. She has always known that Patti wasn't her real mum, but not once in the book do you get the felling she loved her any less, instead she is the most important person to her, like it should be. The relationship they have, goes far beyond just a mother and daughter bond, there is such a strong friendship and its so lovely to see. As well as having a strong bond with her surrogate mother, she also has Jay, her best friend. Although he doesn't know what she is or what she is capable of , he is such a well written character that you know without a shadow of a doubt, he would accept her anyway. He's funny, cocky and so protective, to the point where he will sacrifice something he would consider fun because it goes against Anna's beliefs. In short, I loved him.

Now we can get on to Kaidan, being the the main boy character in it and possible love interest, I know you are all dying to know about him right? well one word for you. SWOON!. Not only is he the bad boy but he's a band, I mean come on!!. I love him, I'm not even ashamed. I love his cocky and sarcastic nature. He may not be good for Anna from the off, but I think by the end of the series he could be changed for the better because of her. Kaidan and Anna are completely different but they have this attraction that is on a deeper level than you would expect and they just work together. In a twisted, awkward way. I can't wait to see how their friendship or more develops as the story goes on that's for sure.

This book was so much better than I thought it would be, I loved the idea of the deadly sins, I loved that the son's and daughters of the fallen angels inherited their persuasive skills shall we say, I loved the whole concept of this book and it just worked so well. The story flowed perfectly, everything progressed as it should do and Wendy Higgins did a great job of not only trying to create a world that we could picture easily ourselves, but characters we could find pieces of ourself in. It may not be for everyone, but its one of a kind story deserves to be given a shot.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Book Geek, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) (Paperback)

Sorry but no. This book is more suited to fans of Twilight, Fallen and Hush Hush who prefer their heroines weak and wimpy, whilst the guy is a control freak who makes all the decisions. If you prefer women the way they were two hundred years ago then this will suit you just fine. Otherwise, read something like Unearthly where girls still remember how to think for themselves.

Unlikable characters aside, the plot is almost non-existent. Occasionally we get a glimpse of where the author wants to take us between kissing and obsessing over the love interest - but it's a rare occurrence. I was extremely disappointed with all aspects of Sweet Evil after seeing that dark and sexy cover, I was certain I'd be able to add this to my favourites pile... sadly, it was not to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
Excellent and well written, this book hooks you from the start. Its different, quick witted and like any paranormal romance book, the main love interest is haaawwwt and the tension between the two characters is brilliant and makes you want to turn pages faster than you read! Mystery, romance, action and more, this book has it.

A MUST READ ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
To be honest I only brought this book because it was mentioned in the book 'Origin' by Jennifer L Armentrout. I'm so happy that I did because this book is amazing. Kaidan and Anna have the most intense, forbidden love. Both are nephalem and there fathers are dukes. The children of the dukes have to do there fathers work. Kaidan' father is the duke of lust and Anna's father is the duke of substance. The kids have to tempt humans to to do bad this. Anna doesn't know what she is till her 16th birthday but she has always been able to read and feel people's emotions. She goes to a club were a band is playing with her bff Jay, there she meets Kaidan playing the drums. He knows she is Nephalem bit doesn't understand how or why she is a virgin. Anna's adopted mother tells her about when she was born, but Anna can remember it and her and Kadian go on a road trip to see her father, who is in prison and a nun called sister Ruth. Kadian tells her some history and on this trip Anna has her first kiss. Yes Anna does fall in love with him but he still has to "work" and sooner or later Anna has to "work" herself. It's a good read and I can't wait to start reading the second one. There is no cliffhanger at the end just a realization that Kadian and Anna can Never be to gather or whether she will see him again. There are some great characters and maybe a hint of a love triangle. It's written from Anna's pov and written so very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea., 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
Really felt it was lacking...in so many things.

I couldn't relate to Anna and really couldn't believe in her 'relationship' with Kaidan. It was all very formulaic.

She was a Mary-Sue and he was the typical bad boy.

Not enough development and the two just didn't gel.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!! Start reading now!!, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing; my biggest regret is that I did not pick it up sooner. It has everything that I would possibly want in a book. It’s an epic love story about Angels and Demons / Good and Evil / Anna and Kaidan. Once I had started this book, I couldn’t put it down. I fell in love with Anna and especially Kaidan (the ultimate bad boy). Looking forward to reading Sweet Peril and continuing off where Sweet Evil ended. If Sweet Evil is anything to go on, this is the start of an incredible trilogy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy)
Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy) by Wendy Higgins (Paperback - 18 May 2012)