4.0 out of 5 stars A good sequel to Shatter Me, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Unravel Me (Paperback)
I enjoyed Shatter Me, the first book in this series, much more than I expected to. This meant that I had very high expectations for Unravel Me. Luckily I wasn't let down by the sequel. Tahereh Mafi is n incredible writer. Unravel Me is full of action, twists and romance. It had me jumping from Team Adam to Team Warner. Argh! I'm still unsure now which `team' I fall on. I think what makes this series so good for me, is quite simply Tahereh's writing. It's a completely different style compared to other authors. Her characters seem so real.

Juliette finally feels free at Omega Point, a place where there are many people with special gifts. She doesn't feel as isolated. However, it's not all plain sailing for Juliette. There's a war coming closer and closer and she's wrapped up within it. Juliette has some important decisions and sacrifices to make.

Juliette seems a lot stronger and more confident in Unravel Me. I love that she has a great sense of humour despite everything that is happening to her. She never gives in or gives up. I really liked Kenji as a supporting character, again the humour added to the story was much needed, especially as it is quite an intense read.

As I mentioned before I'm torn between wanting Adam or Warner for Juliette. I keep thinking I prefer one over the other but then Tahereh writes something that puts me off one, or completely makes me melt for the other! I'm intrigued to see what happens next in this series.

Unravel Me is addictive, fast-paced and intense. It's definitely a fantastic follow up to Shatter Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Omg, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Unravel Me (Paperback)
I don't want to give away any spoilers, but Juliette you make me so angry sometimes!!! This book is an awesome mixture of romance, action, and that dystopian world that draws me in so much. I love Adam and Warner, I just hope she doesn't end up badly hurting either of them in the third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best out of three!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Unravel Me (Shatter Me) (Paperback)
The second book to the Shatter Me series. This is my favourite book of them all, I feel this is the book where Juliette really comes out of her shell and realises that she doesn't need to cling on to Adam the whole time. Warner's and Juliette's relationship also really develops in this book as she sees a new side to Warner that characters can't help but fall even more in love with.
We go deeper into the personalities of the people in omega point and I love them all! I'm glad to see that Kenji is his usual self and I LOVE how he and Juliette develop their friendship and it's a beautiful one at that. We also meet Anderson, Warners father, I'll let you see for yourself about him.
Overall, I loved this book and fully recommend it, great job Tahereh Mafi!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this series!, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Unravel Me (Shatter Me) (Paperback)
a great trilogy, again not just aimed at teen audience as with the characters written, at first i've got to say i really hated the main characted but i love the other character. I have not laughed so much at the banter between people in a book ever! then the main character grew in her self through out the series and you find yourself with a great admiration for her. there are so many nail biting moments and moments of heart break for the team in the series also. Really well writing and the character speaking in her own head dealing with psychological issues is a depth i never expected from a character.

absolutely loved the series had so many unexpected twists and turns and moments of laughter and sadness. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sequel!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Unravel Me (Shatter Me) (Paperback)
This is much better than the first book and gripping and thrilling and I couldn’t put it down!

I love how Juliette managed to find who she is bit by bit. Her trying to understand her abilities, the slowly building up friendships is amazing to read.
I am not so sure about Adam, he seems to be so fixated about keeping her safe and locked up and he keeps wanting her to be the helpless little girl who needs help from the outside.

I did felt for them, the twist that came and then woppa! Tahereh throws in another twist one I didn’t saw coming AT ALL!

Kenji I think is the best character out there, his humour his ability to lead but also his seriousness whenever that is needed and everyone has got respect for him.

I love the building between Juliette and Warner and Adam, how Juliette is finding out her feelings, what she wants in life. Adam however does need to step back and take a breather but then again, he’s been obsessed with her from a very young age. Is this what they call puppylove? ^_^

And what an ending! What an ending! Wow Wow Wow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Tahereh you're a wonderful woman, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Unravel Me (Paperback)
Tahereh Mafi’s writing style is so utterly captivating you can’t help but find yourself drawn to it. She could be writing about the most horrific thing in the world and still find a way to make it seem beautiful. Okay so maybe her world building isn’t up to scratch but that doesn’t matter. The writing is that good you wont care!

If you’ve read my review for Shatter Me you will know how much I loved that book, I don’t think I’ve ever gushed so much in my life. Unravel Me was no different. Heck I’m still finding it hard to put my thoughts into sentences and I finished reading this nearly 6 days ago now.

I think everyone who’s read this book will agree that Juliette was very irritating during the first few chapters. I found Juliette to be quite whiny, bitchy and downright rude. I understand that she was going through a lot but at times I thought shed gone too far. Alas the wonderful Kenji was there to pull her head out of her ass and bring Juliette back to reality. Needless to say Kenji was my favourite character throughout the whole of this series. Everything about him is so likeable and it’s a joy to read the scenes with him in.

I’m so glad that Juliette pulled herself together as we really got to see her character grow throughout this book. She finally comes to terms with the fact that she’ll never be a “normal” teenager and embraces the powers that she’s been graced with. It was interesting to see her learn to not only utilise them but also control them, especially as it didn’t come easily to her. This resulted in some amusing scenes between Juliette and Kenji as she was stressing out.

At the end of Shatter Me we see Adam and Juliette arrive at Omega Point, I wasn’t too sure how I felt about this, as it seemed wrong. I thought that they were stupid for trusting a bunch of people that they didn’t even know. I’m glad they decided to stay there as we learn that Juliette isn’t the only one with powers. In Unravel Me Tahereh spoils us with an array of new characters that have some supercool powers. This only got me even more excited to see what would come of the war between The Reestablishment and mankind.

Adam or Warner? A no brainer for me but a mind-boggling question for Juliette. Let me put this out there; I have been on team Warner since day one. I don’t know what it is about him but wow. He gets me hot and bothered, you will know what I mean when you read Chapter 62, holy smokes that chapter was incredible. I almost feel like a pervert for saying that. Note to self: He’s a fictional character but so damn gorgeous. You know what I like about this love triangle? It could go anywhere. As a reader you don’t know who will end up together and at times it can be frustrating but you still want more! Juliettes feelings towards both males are so conflicted, I almost feel sorry for the girl, she just doesn’t know what she wants! Throughout a lot of this book I found myself sitting with a smug smile plastered on my face. Lets just say Adam lets his cool slip and in comes King of the douchebags.

So if you thought Shatter Me was good then believe me, you haven’t seen nothing yet. While reading this book I was constantly updating my status on Goodreads and reading back on some of my reactions is quite amusing. This series has well and truly grabbed my heart; I’m looking forward to seeing more from Mafi in the future, as she really is a poetic author. I ended up marathoning Unravel Me and Ignite Me so stayed tuned for my review on the final book; it really was a terrific ending to an enchanting series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Unravel Me (Paperback)
About 50 pages in I started to get really annoyed at Juliette constantly moaning about her lot in life and her constant moaning. Thank God for Kenji! He gives her a firm talking to which means that fortunately it was intentional for her to be so annoying so keep at it if you're thinking of giving up like I did! Like the last book this really starts to get interesting around page 100. It was excellent how different it was from the first one; this time there was hope.
I think after this book I'm team Warner (you also find out his first name) and I'm starting to get annoyed at Adam! He's just not broken enough for Juliette, she needs someone who understands what loneliness is better than Adam does.
What a cliff hanger at the end! I've preordered the next book and I can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unravel me, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Unravel Me (Paperback)
The book was in a fairly good condition. Plot-wise this book was fan-ta-stic. Couldn't get enough of it. Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh. My. Dear. God., 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Unravel Me (Paperback)
All I can say: I loved this! I devoured it over too days, even though it was quite a busy time for me. The way Mafi captures the doubt of being insane, being right or wrong, and the feeling of loving someone you can't have is devastatingly accurate! It is a mix of dystopian fiction and psychological thriller with just a twist of humor.
There is a line I still remember from it: "All I know about Shakespeare is that he stole my name, and spelled it wrong." Is what Juliette says, when Warner brings up Shakespeare.
Of course we hear about the white bird sometimes, but it is not nearly as important as in the first book, which I think is to demonstrate Juliette's building mental strenght.
I'd say that I would almost recommend this for anyone with a taste for dystopian fiction and romance. Or fantasy. Or thrillers. It is definetely better than the first, which is, in my opinion, a rare sight in books.
I deeply adore Unravel Me, and the ending shattered me completely - ;) -
Anyone, everyone - READ. THIS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully broken, 18 Feb 2013
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
How proud of me are you to know that I didn't immediately turn to the infamous chapter sixty two and start devouring the pages? In case you're wondering what on earth I'm talking about, Tahereh recently released a small selection of spoiler videos and kept referring to exciting things happening in chapter sixty two. My advice to you is that it is worth the wait so do not be tempted to read it before you've read the rest of the story! So, before I say anything else about the book I need to tell you that if you haven't read Shatter Me or Destroy Me then please go no further as you will likely encounter spoilers. And also, get thee to a book seller STAT.

Unravel Me was an awesome read and while it took me a few pages to become re-attuned to Juliette's voice again, after that I was flying through the book. Juliette is without a filter when she speaks inside her head and pours her heart out on the page. She is at times all over the place but her chaotic mind represents her chaotic state of being and ultimately the chaos of her world. BUT, having said all that, you will see a very slow and deliberate change in her throughout the book and I believe she will come out fighting in the end. Although she's in love with Adam, she can't deny her strange attraction to Warner and as she learns more about him, the barriers start breaking down between them. I believe they are kindred souls and recognise something of themselves in each other.

You may remember at the end of Shatter Me that Juliette kissed Warner, grabbed his gun and shot him before her and Adam ran off to claim sanctuary at Omega Point, home of the rebels. Warner survived of course and it was utterly fascinating to be inside his head in Destroy Me which basically made me love him all the more. The only way I can describe Warner is by calling him beautifully broken. That in itself is a crazy description I know, I mean how can something that's broken be beautiful? But he is. Oh, but he is. He is a complex character who pretty much hides his true self for fear of appearing weak but we know he has an abusive father, a man that I am fascinated by, not because he is an abominable excuse for a human being who is incapable of showing love to his own children, let alone anyone else but for the sheer fact that SOMETHING or SOMEONE has made him the way he is and I'd love to find out more. Novella, anyone?

Speaking of characters, in complete opposition to Warner's father we have Kenji or the comic relief as I like to call him. I'm so glad Kenji was a part of this book and if it wasn't for the dire situation they find themselves in, I know he would be a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. In some ways, he already is I suppose.

Unravel Me concentrates on the potential war building up between the rebels and the re-establishment. I don't want to say too much about the plot but let me tell you that there are plenty of revelations as well as twists and turns you probably didn't see coming and Tahereh always manages to keep us on our toes. I felt sorry for pretty much ALL the characters in this book as Tahereh puts them through the mill and hangs them out to dry. Well, you know what they say about authors, they love to kill their darlings.

EVENTUALLY I got to chapter sixty two, read it...and then my brain exploded. I'm not going to ruin it for you but I will say that it was full of ecstasy and agony. Tahereh set my heart aflutter and then tore it out and handed it back to me. I've been a huge fan of Warner from the start and my love for him only continues to grow WHICH IS WHY I am absolutely terrified of what's going to happen in the next book. How can Juliette have a happy ending with both Adam AND Warner? Just please God, don't make this another Ren/Shay situation like we had in Bloodrose (by Andrea Cremer) because truly, my heart cannot survive something like that again. As desperate as I am to read the next book, it MIGHT actually kill me. It seems strange to long for my potential death.

Unravel Me (Shatter Me)
Unravel Me (Shatter Me) by Tahereh Mafi (Paperback - 31 Dec 2013)
Used & New from: 3.18