Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2014
Shatter Me is a unique and kickass novel told in a refreshing way that grips the reader from the beginning as we follow the thoughts of Juliette: a girl with a touch to kill. She sees it as a curse, but others see it as a power which must be put to good use. As the world is slowly falling apart, a group has to take charge and turn everything around. However, what the Reestablishment has to offer may not be what the people need.

I knew that Shatter Me would be top quality as I have read many reviews that do not stop raving about it. Mafi has a very unique and distinct writing style that I was unsure of at first but quickly grew to love it.

Not to mention the characters! I loved and adored Juliette for her strong personality and I loved her even more we find out about her past; which was certainly rough. Juliette is a likable heroine who is definitely winning in my heart as she has not easily fallen into the trap of a love triangle *ahem* Bella Swan *ahem*

I really loved the world that Mafi created: dangerous, abandoned, cruel, unfair and controlled. She shows the world distant in the future after mankind has ruined and abused everything good. It was kickass... I'm interested all that futuristic shizz.. WE ARE RUINING OUR PLANET. Anyways, the topic of humans abusing the planet should be saved for another day.

I will definitely be picking up Unravel Me. How can I not after hearing that it's ten times better than Shatter Me? I expect more supernatural powers, more action, more mystery and more romance. No doubt I'll get more, but for now I will be marvelling at this gorgeous cover!

I would recommend Shatter Me to any dystopian world lover who also love a few supernatural, action and romance elements.
on 15 August 2012
"Hope is hugging me, holding me in its arms, wiping away my tears and telling me that today and tomorrow and two days from now I will be just fine and I'm so delirious I actually dare to believe it."- Juliette

Shatter Me was one of the first books I read at the start of the year and even though it's 2 months later and I'm only just writing this review now, this book is still in my head because it was just absolutely amazing!

I know you all know what this book is about so I won't go into details about the plot but I have to admit, I really struggled with the first 50 pages. The writing style was hard to get into and although I enjoyed reading it because it was something completely different, I was just waiting for when something happened. I wanted Juliette to get out of the cell she was sharing with Adam. But once that happened.....wow! The story went from okay to BRILLIANT and I even went and re-read the first few pages and found I enjoyed it all the more the second time around. As the story progresses the writing style gets better and better and it's really about Juliette coming out of her shell and trying to face the world. It's really is a beautiful journey to read about.

Adam really stole the show for me during this book and without him, it just wouldn't have been the same. He's a mystery and as the story unravels - the more things he reveals about his life. I loved the fact that he's done everything to get to Juliette.....his journey was all for her and it really shows how much he cares and loves her.

The story itself was action packed, exciting and dangerous. It's full of heart-breaking and emotional scenes and the whole story was captivating and completely compels you until the very end.

A must read for 2012 and I cannot wait to read more with Unravel Me in 2013.

Favourite Quotes:

"He whispers, "You have no idea how much I've thought about you. How many times I've dreamt"-he takes a tight breath- "how many times I've dreamt about being this close to you." He moves to run a hand through his hair before he changes his mind. Looks down. Looks up. "God, Juliette, I'd follow you anywhere. Your the only good thing left in this world." - Adam

"My face is in his hands and my lips are at his lips and he's kissing me and I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe." - Juliette
on 26 August 2012
In a word, Tahereh Mafi's debut novel "Shatter Me" is fast-paced. This is a book that, once started, you'll struggle to put down. The only other book to have that affect on me this year was "The Hunger Games", so the speedy plotting is a skill. The story doesn't stop for breathing, zipping from action to romantic tension then straight back to action without stopping for breath. I loved it.

But keeping things lean and speedy comes at a cost - there's very little setting description, making the dystopian future of the story hard to visualise. Characters are described sparingly, and given very little time to shine. Villan Warner is a brilliantly-written bad guy, who you can sympathise with and understand, but love interest Adam comes off as a bit two-dimensional at times.

The only thing Mafi doesn't skimp on is the metaphors. They're everywhere, and I really liked some of the clever turns of phrases.

If beautiful writing and an unputdownable story are what you're needing in your life, "Shatter Me" will provide all of that and more - but if you want to get lost in a fictional world and its characters, you might be disappointed. Nonetheless, I loved the story and will happily pick up its sequel when it hits the shelves - I want to see more of Warner, and hopefully a bit more worldbuilding. I'm also a little curious how the X-Men similarities will be handled in future books.
on 14 August 2014
Shatter me is from the perspective of Juliette, who can't touch anybody because she causes immense pain when her skin touches that of another. The book starts with Juliette locked in a cell, where she has been for a great deal of time. She is then joined by a cell mate - a boy - who confuses yet intrigues Juliette but there may be more than meets the eye. If I go any more into the story, I feel it may take away some of the mystery that I first experienced when reading the book. I decided to go into this book knowing very little about the actual story - only that it was an amazing series - and I would recommend you do the same.

Shatter me was a very quick read for me and by the end of the book, I felt as though nothing had really happened. The first third of the book is formatted with strike-through lines which irritated me when reading and I didn't completely feel that they were necessary. These did seem to fizzle out as the book went on and it became more enjoyable towards the end. I feel that Juliette's character changes throughout the book also - in the beginning, I was a bit confused as to why she was the way she was, had the thoughts she had and behaved the way she did. This behaviour was explained and Juliette seemed to appear more normal towards the end of the book, as she was exposed to the real world again and other people. It would be a lie to say that Tahereh Mafi's writing isn't unique. I've never read anything like it and her world-building skills were incredible.
Juliette's love interest, Adam, played a strong hero role in the book and I can't wait to discover more about their relationship. I can't help feeling a slight distrust in Adam, even after the initial distrust was explained, something still lingers and I'm not sure how this will play out in the following books. I did enjoy reading this book and the supernatural themes interest me greatly, having heard amazing things about the other books in the series, I'm really excited to read them.
on 20 January 2013
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time--and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

I have a list of favourite authors. Currently on that list are writers like L.J Smith, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Richelle Mead and Cynthia Hand - Tahereh Mafi is now also on this list.

Look at the cover. It's so pretty. I can't get over how beautiful it is. It would've been impossible for me to spot Shatter Me in a bookstore and not pick it up. I could sit and fangirl over the cover itself. I had really high hopes for this book when I picked it up.

Tahereh Mafi is a beautiful writer. I understood everything she had written and whilst reading the book, there were certain parts I just had to reread over and over again - I still do. For instance, the beginning of Chapter 11. It was written in such a unique way and everything was described so well - you'll see when you read it yourself. There aren't that many authors out there who can write like she does.

Julietter Ferrars is a 17-year-old girl. I get really annoyed nowadays because almost every YA book I read has the main character as a 16-year-old. I know, it's a really childish thing, but I can't help myself, it's like one of my pet peeves. Can't the she be a 15, or a year or two older? So you can imagine by happiness at finding out that she's 17. Juliette seemed really lost and empty in the beginning, but as a reader I loved seeing her transform into someone more confident.

For those of you out there who haven't read this book yet: what are you still doing? Go! Buy it! Shatter Me is a book you stay up late reading - I did. And you won't regret it, either.

5/5 stars - Books like this one make me love the dystopian genre even more.

Quote:
"I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe."
on 10 February 2012
Shatter me is a great book about a girl (Juliette) brought up from a rough background who has been isolated for what seems like forever. Her parents hated her and Juliette truly thought of herself as a monster. She was pretty much alone for the whole of her life. When a boy (Adam) her age gets locked up in her cell, everything changes.

Was it good? Yes,I really enjoyed Shatter Me and I found it really entertaining as it was quite different to most things I read. I felt it was boarding more on Si - Fi than it was Fantasy but I still loved it. It was very romantic but sometimes in the book I felt like all Juliette and Adam could do was make out. But on a whole it was a good book.

Would I buy the next book? probably, though I'm unsure it will give the same effect as the first one did.

What makes this book stand out? I'm not sure really, I loved the way that Tahereh Mafi wrote down what she was really thinking then crossed it out. I found that brilliant as it gave us a slot into what she was really thinking or wanted to say. Though I didn't really feel the effect she was trying to give on the reader when she kept repeating the same word three or four times.

Improvements? Well since it seemed more of a Si - fi book they could have at least expanded on the new gadgets in more discription, etc.

I would say this is a pretty good book, I would say it wasn't the best book I personally have ever read but I would definitely keep it to read again and I would probably reccommend it to friends.
on 23 December 2011
I have started, erased and re-started this review several times now. I know that every book deserves a review, but it's hard to find the right words to do this book justice.
I have not long finished this book, actually, around 15 minutes ago. I have had it glued to my hand on a daily basis, staying up late because I was lost in the world created by Tahereh Mafi.

For me, getting lost in a book is a regular occurence, when the book is a good one. Let me tell you, this one knocked my socks off!
I literally eat, sleep, drink, breathe the written word. Books are my passion, my life. This is for sure one book that I will not forget in a hurry.

I can honestly say that what drew me to this book was the cover. People were talking about it on Twitter and, as I usually do, I had to look it up on Amazon. Boy am I ever glad I did. It sure lived up to the hype.
There is only one slight negative about it so I might as well get it out of the way now and move on to the positive. The cover. It is both a positive and a negative for me personally. The eye-catching, absolutely stunning cover had me salivating. I am a self-confessed book cover magpie. As many people now know, I am a collector of beautiful, shiny covers. So this was the positive.
The negative however, was the fact that it was so beautiful. How is that so, you ask? Well let me explain. The world within the covers is a Dystopian world, controlled by The Reestablishment. There are strict rules and it is a stark environment.
The cover usually conveys something to us of what is inside the book, but to me, this cover didn't do that. The cover suggests happiness - something beautiful. It isn't until I got further into the book that I saw where thie idea for the cover may have come from.

So now you are thinking "Oh my God, this woman just spent ages telling me about the cover. I wish she'd get on with it and tell me more about the story". Well, that is exactly what I intend to do. Now.

"I've been locked up for 264 days.
I have nothing but a small notebook and a broken pen
and the number in my head to keep me company.1 window.
4 walls. 144 square feet of space. 26 letters in an alphabet
I haven't spoken in 264 days of isolation."

These are the words that greet us on the first page. It must be hard being Juliette Farrars. She has been in isolation for 264 days. Meaning she hasn't seen, spoken to or touched another living soul in 264 days. Her mouth is not used to forming the words that comprise of the alphabet she knows yet remains unspoken.
Juliette is trapped in a living hell. She gets a meal of what one can only describe as gruel, once a day. It is too hot to touch straight away. She knows this only too well and has the scars to prove it.
She sits alone in a cell day and night. One window and about 10 square feet of space. Only a thin blanket and a mattress of springs for company. She has a notebook and a pen, that she rations the ink rather than run it dry.

The world outside is crumbling and has little time to pay attention to the needs and wants of a 17 year old girl. Disease has all but ravaged the poulation. Food has become scarce. Crops do not grow. Birds do not fly. Animals are all but extinct.
This is the world The Reestablishment have created. They said that their way was the only hope they had of fixing things.

But it seems that even they are struggling now in the world of their own creation. The survivors are whispering possibilities of war. So now the very same Reestablishment that locked her up are rethinking their decision. Maybe Juliette could be more use to them than they previously thought. Maybe she is just the warrior the world is in need of. A weapon they can control.

I cannot tell you more of the story, for fear of ruining your own journey of discovery. I can only tell you how it made me feel.

There were times when I felt lost in a pit of despair. I felt like tearing my hair out. There were times when I felt trepidation. In fact, this was most times. However, there were also times when I felt that perhaps something good could arise.

I got so lost within the world that Tahereh created, I felt an empathy with Juliette. There was one paragraph that I felt particularly spoke to me on a personal level.

"In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction"

This spoke to me and touched me in a way I have never felt with other books. I feel like I live my life vicariously through the characters on the page. When I am reading a book I enjoy, I tend to feel like I am the female MC. In this case I was Juliette. The things that happened to her, happened to me. When she felt fear, I felt it too. When she felt anger, I felt it too. I was a world of emotions throughout this book. Not many of them good in the beginning. But I am glad to say, there were moments of elation and I felt those too. They were few and far between, but were enough to keep me from feeling like all was bleak and hopeless.

In fact, there was hope. There were even times of happiness. Stolen moments here and there. These were what kept my eyes glued to - and my fingers turning the pages.

This is one of my favourite books of 2011. There is no denying I was desperately upset when it ended. I felt a huge loss. There were no more words for me to devour. I must wait until goodness knows when for another installment. But one thing I do know is that as soon as I hear of the next release, I will be clamouring to get in line for it. Or maybe I'll buy it on Amazon and save myself the hassle of beating someone to death in the local bookshop because they had the audacity to pick up the last copy!

Well done Tahereh on an absolutely stunning debut. Also, well done on capturing my attention and keeping me on tenterhooks for book two. This is not an easy feat, but you did it. And you did it well!
on 31 December 2011
What can I say about this book so everyone can grasp just how much I simply loved this book. Before the book even got into full swing I found myself saving quotes from the book. Juliette is a brilliant character and I loved following her story she has been unloved and thrown away by her own family and now is locked up but soon faces something worse being used to kill people. The start of this book really does show this characters strength and the despair that clouds her mind the feelings of loneliness and the growing grip around her heart that says your unloved. You watch this girl grow into herself and at times you wish that she would just be free in herself.

The story was so different and the world it's based in is our own but a future that is in shambles and is run by well CRAZY PEOPLE! That want power. I really did love everything about the book. I felt lots of emotions while reading the book hate at the people that have hurt and used Juliette and happiness that maybe something better is to come.

I don't think there are words that cover how amazing this book really is and no review could explain just how much excitement, despair, action and passion is packed into this book that will blow your mind. You're going to have to read it!
on 4 June 2016
I did previously have this book in my 'Series I Wont Read' post, so there's that! To be honest I'd seen some really 50/50 reviews about this book. It seamed to, unfortunately, be a love it or loathe it kind of series. For some reason I allowed myself to be swayed by these reviews. So being me I decided to buy it anyway, and at least I'd have it if I wanted to give it a whirl. So I did. Here's what I thought...

The storyline follows Juliette, a girl with a lethal and deadly touch to any living thing that comes in contact with her skin. Which (Apart from Rogue! Go X-Men) is such a unique power to be written about, and I've never really seen this written before, or focussed on. It gave a simple yet new dimension to the novel. Juliette comes in contact with Adam, a school *friend* and Kenji, a friend/enemy. She's not quite sure yet. Without giving away to much the relationship between Adam and Juliette is really well written, and I loved seeing them develop separately as characters and as a partnership. Warner, is another character gunning for blood and you see how Juliette may or may not have a future with Warner, and his ideals. The way Tahereh wrote the intermingling characters was pretty fabulous. The characters were diverse enough, with enough elements to keep me interested.

In regards to the novel itself, I have one or two negatives. even though I enjoyed this book I really wish the use of the word and would have been used a lot less. I really started to pick up on it around the middle and it started to hazard my reading. Also, I kinda feel that this book in so way has quite a few X-Men ties to in. in characters and plot lines. (If you love X-Men you'll know, if you don't then it wont hamper your reading whatsoever). Other than that it was a really good debut novel. I will end up picking up the other two, but may avoid the novellas. I don't really like in-between novellas.

All in all this book was fast paced, a speedy read and packed with brilliant characters and an imaginative storyline. I'll probably finish the series eventually.
on 23 February 2016
Basically: This book is a distopian romance, with the emphasis on romance, that follows the POV of a girl who can’t be touched by anyone or she’ll cause them excruciating pain and kill them.

IN DEPTH: I heard mixed things about this book but the premise was seriously promising, but I was still disappointed when I reached the end of the book. The focus was on the romance rather than the world building or friendship or anything else, which was a disappointment to me as this was not what I was looking for. The other reason I didn’t like this book was the writing style, which was a little too “poetic” for my tastes and just made everything extremely complicated.

THE PLOT: The plot itself and the occasional bit of world building that occurs is good, is solid. However, it also felt a little intermittent (and it was what I was more interested in). The story and concept is interesting and seriously engaging stuff and I’ll be honest, it could have been a great book beyond a romance novel.

THE CHARACTERS: The main character, and protagonist, is Juliette who was a little Mary-Sueish but could have been interesting. She is unable to be touched or to touch anyone for some reason that she’s unsure of, and because of that she has serious trust issues (understandably).

Adam (aka love interest one) who was introduced right at the beginning, was an old ‘friend’ of Juliette’s and he had potential in the sense that he had a family that was fascinating and I would have loved to explore more of, and his and Juliette’s background.
Then there was Warner (aka love interest two) who was basically a bad character who again could have been interesting but was made into a love interest who could be 'redeemed’.

There was potential with these characters but then the romance happened (I’m not a huge romance fan when I’m expecting to read something else).

THE WRITING STYLE: You can’t read this book without being prepared for the writing, it’s “artistic” which basically means you could consider it a metaphor all the way through. The whole thing is flowery at best, and repetitive. The book is written in the form of a diary by Juliette who spends more time striking the same thing through again and again than anything else.

THE ROMANCE: This book was more of a romance novel (with the obligatory love triangle) than it was a dystopian (if you’re looking for a romance set in a distopic world then this book is actually a little different and interesting and all that jazz). Most of the romance itself wasn’t my taste either, as I prefer more development and description - this felt a little too insta-love for me.

MY THOUGHTS: I wish the marketing of this book had been different, then I would have known it wasn’t for me. Honestly this book has a great concept, the world has some great potential. However, personally I found the writing style and the romance just made this book not for me.