5.0 out of 5 stars Very unique and so amazing.
"Hope is hugging me, holding me in its arms, wiping away my tears and telling me that today and tomorrow and two days from now I will be just fine and I'm so delirious I actually dare to believe it."- Juliette

Published on 15 Aug 2012 by Book Passion for Life

1.0 out of 5 stars Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Shatter Me was not good. Prior to picking it up, I had heard a lot of mixed things about this book but I wanted to give it a go since I had heard a lot about the unique writing style, and the slightly crazy main character. Those always draw me in. Also, Judith told me that Warner was evil and also slightly crazy. Obviously, I assumed we were meant to be...
Published 10 months ago by Amber

1.0 out of 5 stars Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Shatter Me (Paperback)

Unfortunately for me, the only thing I did like about this was the writing style. The prose was very poetic, some might say purple, and it definitely isn't for everyone, as you can probably tell from the vast number of negative reviews that comment on the Mafi's style. I, however, really liked it. Juliette's narrative was intriguing, since she was locked up in a mental ward (? or something) for ages, and she'd been driven mad. Lots of words were scribbled out, there were single words that were repeated for an entire page, and Juliette often backtracked with what she was saying. It was all very unique, and probably the only thing that kept me reading - or, rather, skim reading - until the end.

Now, I had a few issues with this book, which led me to rate this book as Troll. The first thing is the characters, which are a very important factor in any novel. I have to feel some connection to them in order to enjoy the book, otherwise I find myself feeling very indifferent towards their journey and I wouldn't care less if they were to dive off a cliff.

Juliette, while I liked her narrative, was a boring character once the initial introduction was out of the way. She spent the entire novel talking about Adam, and then Warner, and then Adam again. I would have loved for her to dive into her history some more, and the history of the world, but instead her "journey" was very romance-focussed. I wasn't interested, despite loving the fact that she was nuts.

There are two guys in this novel, of course. Adam, the hero-type, who shows up at the beginning and refuses to bloody well leave. I was not a fan of him from the get-go, because he came across as a complete arse. I can't say that I know much about his character, since little was said about him. Or perhaps it was, and I just wasn't paying attention. He wasn't charismatic at all, which meant he wasn't hot, and which meant that I couldn't get invested in him.

Then there is Warner, who is the evil guy slash potential future love interest. Like I said, Judith had been telling me that I would probably love Warner. She knows about my fascination with evil characters. I can't help it. But Warner was a complete lunatic, abusive, and I didn't understand his motive at all. Again, I may not have been paying proper attention, but as a villain he kind of sucked. I'm disappointed, because I was so ready for another Darkling, and instead all I got was a half-arsed villain who I think was only there to be the third side of the love triangle.

That leads me nicely to the romance. Shatter Me isn't a dystopian at all, and I hate that it's being marketed as such. It's a romance novel, masquerading as a dystopian, which is one of my pet peeves. Why do this? If you want to tell a romance then just bloody well do it, and don't be afraid to call it what it is. Don't attempt to hide the true plot behind a thinly veiled dystopian curtain. Do authors and publishers just do this for the money?

I got slightly off track there. What I was going to say is that the romance drove me crazy. It was everywhere I turned, and I couldn't escape it. Juliette meets Adam in the first couple of pages, and suddenly her entire world changes. Because of a boy. And there's instalove. One could argue that Adam and Juliette had a history, but since that history was barely touched upon, I don't count it. I wasn't given enough backstory on these two to not call their romance instalove.

Of course, there's a slight love triangle. Something about kissing Warner and Warner fancying Juliette. Why turn the evil, homicidal villain into a love interest? By that point, I had stopped paying attention and I just wanted the bloody book to end.

Aaaaand, that's all I really have to say. I don't want to bash this book too much, because it's not absolutely appalling, it's just very bad. It lacks character development, backstories, world building... Things that I consider crucial in any good novel, especially a dystopian. I'm not going to be reading the rest of this series, but I have already read the recap of Unravel Me on Recaptains just to see what happens. Hey, I'm a curious person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very unique and so amazing., 15 Aug 2012
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shatter Me (Paperback)

Shatter Me was one of the first books I read at the start of the year and even though it's 2 months later and I'm only just writing this review now, this book is still in my head because it was just absolutely amazing!

I know you all know what this book is about so I won't go into details about the plot but I have to admit, I really struggled with the first 50 pages. The writing style was hard to get into and although I enjoyed reading it because it was something completely different, I was just waiting for when something happened. I wanted Juliette to get out of the cell she was sharing with Adam. But once that happened.....wow! The story went from okay to BRILLIANT and I even went and re-read the first few pages and found I enjoyed it all the more the second time around. As the story progresses the writing style gets better and better and it's really about Juliette coming out of her shell and trying to face the world. It's really is a beautiful journey to read about.

Adam really stole the show for me during this book and without him, it just wouldn't have been the same. He's a mystery and as the story unravels - the more things he reveals about his life. I loved the fact that he's done everything to get to Juliette.....his journey was all for her and it really shows how much he cares and loves her.

The story itself was action packed, exciting and dangerous. It's full of heart-breaking and emotional scenes and the whole story was captivating and completely compels you until the very end.

A must read for 2012 and I cannot wait to read more with Unravel Me in 2013.

Favourite Quotes:

"He whispers, "You have no idea how much I've thought about you. How many times I've dreamt"-he takes a tight breath- "how many times I've dreamt about being this close to you." He moves to run a hand through his hair before he changes his mind. Looks down. Looks up. "God, Juliette, I'd follow you anywhere. Your the only good thing left in this world." - Adam

"My face is in his hands and my lips are at his lips and he's kissing me and I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe." - Juliette

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Debut, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Shatter Me (Hardcover)
In a word, Tahereh Mafi's debut novel "Shatter Me" is fast-paced. This is a book that, once started, you'll struggle to put down. The only other book to have that affect on me this year was "The Hunger Games", so the speedy plotting is a skill. The story doesn't stop for breathing, zipping from action to romantic tension then straight back to action without stopping for breath. I loved it.

But keeping things lean and speedy comes at a cost - there's very little setting description, making the dystopian future of the story hard to visualise. Characters are described sparingly, and given very little time to shine. Villan Warner is a brilliantly-written bad guy, who you can sympathise with and understand, but love interest Adam comes off as a bit two-dimensional at times.

The only thing Mafi doesn't skimp on is the metaphors. They're everywhere, and I really liked some of the clever turns of phrases.

If beautiful writing and an unputdownable story are what you're needing in your life, "Shatter Me" will provide all of that and more - but if you want to get lost in a fictional world and its characters, you might be disappointed. Nonetheless, I loved the story and will happily pick up its sequel when it hits the shelves - I want to see more of Warner, and hopefully a bit more worldbuilding. I'm also a little curious how the X-Men similarities will be handled in future books.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVED the first book in this series, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Paperback)
Shatter me is from the perspective of Juliette, who can't touch anybody because she causes immense pain when her skin touches that of another. The book starts with Juliette locked in a cell, where she has been for a great deal of time. She is then joined by a cell mate - a boy - who confuses yet intrigues Juliette but there may be more than meets the eye. If I go any more into the story, I feel it may take away some of the mystery that I first experienced when reading the book. I decided to go into this book knowing very little about the actual story - only that it was an amazing series - and I would recommend you do the same.

Shatter me was a very quick read for me and by the end of the book, I felt as though nothing had really happened. The first third of the book is formatted with strike-through lines which irritated me when reading and I didn't completely feel that they were necessary. These did seem to fizzle out as the book went on and it became more enjoyable towards the end. I feel that Juliette's character changes throughout the book also - in the beginning, I was a bit confused as to why she was the way she was, had the thoughts she had and behaved the way she did. This behaviour was explained and Juliette seemed to appear more normal towards the end of the book, as she was exposed to the real world again and other people. It would be a lie to say that Tahereh Mafi's writing isn't unique. I've never read anything like it and her world-building skills were incredible.
Juliette's love interest, Adam, played a strong hero role in the book and I can't wait to discover more about their relationship. I can't help feeling a slight distrust in Adam, even after the initial distrust was explained, something still lingers and I'm not sure how this will play out in the following books. I did enjoy reading this book and the supernatural themes interest me greatly, having heard amazing things about the other books in the series, I'm really excited to read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love dystopian novels even more now, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Shatter Me (Paperback)
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time--and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

I have a list of favourite authors. Currently on that list are writers like L.J Smith, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Richelle Mead and Cynthia Hand - Tahereh Mafi is now also on this list.

Look at the cover. It's so pretty. I can't get over how beautiful it is. It would've been impossible for me to spot Shatter Me in a bookstore and not pick it up. I could sit and fangirl over the cover itself. I had really high hopes for this book when I picked it up.

Tahereh Mafi is a beautiful writer. I understood everything she had written and whilst reading the book, there were certain parts I just had to reread over and over again - I still do. For instance, the beginning of Chapter 11. It was written in such a unique way and everything was described so well - you'll see when you read it yourself. There aren't that many authors out there who can write like she does.

Julietter Ferrars is a 17-year-old girl. I get really annoyed nowadays because almost every YA book I read has the main character as a 16-year-old. I know, it's a really childish thing, but I can't help myself, it's like one of my pet peeves. Can't the she be a 15, or a year or two older? So you can imagine by happiness at finding out that she's 17. Juliette seemed really lost and empty in the beginning, but as a reader I loved seeing her transform into someone more confident.

For those of you out there who haven't read this book yet: what are you still doing? Go! Buy it! Shatter Me is a book you stay up late reading - I did. And you won't regret it, either.

5/5 stars - Books like this one make me love the dystopian genre even more.

Quote:
"I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe."

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Novel! Great read :), 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Shatter Me (Hardcover)
Shatter me is a great book about a girl (Juliette) brought up from a rough background who has been isolated for what seems like forever. Her parents hated her and Juliette truly thought of herself as a monster. She was pretty much alone for the whole of her life. When a boy (Adam) her age gets locked up in her cell, everything changes.

Was it good? Yes,I really enjoyed Shatter Me and I found it really entertaining as it was quite different to most things I read. I felt it was boarding more on Si - Fi than it was Fantasy but I still loved it. It was very romantic but sometimes in the book I felt like all Juliette and Adam could do was make out. But on a whole it was a good book.

Would I buy the next book? probably, though I'm unsure it will give the same effect as the first one did.

What makes this book stand out? I'm not sure really, I loved the way that Tahereh Mafi wrote down what she was really thinking then crossed it out. I found that brilliant as it gave us a slot into what she was really thinking or wanted to say. Though I didn't really feel the effect she was trying to give on the reader when she kept repeating the same word three or four times.

Improvements? Well since it seemed more of a Si - fi book they could have at least expanded on the new gadgets in more discription, etc.

I would say this is a pretty good book, I would say it wasn't the best book I personally have ever read but I would definitely keep it to read again and I would probably reccommend it to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Shatter Me (Hardcover)
What can I say about this book so everyone can grasp just how much I simply loved this book. Before the book even got into full swing I found myself saving quotes from the book. Juliette is a brilliant character and I loved following her story she has been unloved and thrown away by her own family and now is locked up but soon faces something worse being used to kill people. The start of this book really does show this characters strength and the despair that clouds her mind the feelings of loneliness and the growing grip around her heart that says your unloved. You watch this girl grow into herself and at times you wish that she would just be free in herself.

The story was so different and the world it's based in is our own but a future that is in shambles and is run by well CRAZY PEOPLE! That want power. I really did love everything about the book. I felt lots of emotions while reading the book hate at the people that have hurt and used Juliette and happiness that maybe something better is to come.

I don't think there are words that cover how amazing this book really is and no review could explain just how much excitement, despair, action and passion is packed into this book that will blow your mind. You're going to have to read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely stunning debut, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Shatter Me (Hardcover)
I have started, erased and re-started this review several times now. I know that every book deserves a review, but it's hard to find the right words to do this book justice.
I have not long finished this book, actually, around 15 minutes ago. I have had it glued to my hand on a daily basis, staying up late because I was lost in the world created by Tahereh Mafi.

For me, getting lost in a book is a regular occurence, when the book is a good one. Let me tell you, this one knocked my socks off!
I literally eat, sleep, drink, breathe the written word. Books are my passion, my life. This is for sure one book that I will not forget in a hurry.

I can honestly say that what drew me to this book was the cover. People were talking about it on Twitter and, as I usually do, I had to look it up on Amazon. Boy am I ever glad I did. It sure lived up to the hype.
There is only one slight negative about it so I might as well get it out of the way now and move on to the positive. The cover. It is both a positive and a negative for me personally. The eye-catching, absolutely stunning cover had me salivating. I am a self-confessed book cover magpie. As many people now know, I am a collector of beautiful, shiny covers. So this was the positive.
The negative however, was the fact that it was so beautiful. How is that so, you ask? Well let me explain. The world within the covers is a Dystopian world, controlled by The Reestablishment. There are strict rules and it is a stark environment.
The cover usually conveys something to us of what is inside the book, but to me, this cover didn't do that. The cover suggests happiness - something beautiful. It isn't until I got further into the book that I saw where thie idea for the cover may have come from.

So now you are thinking "Oh my God, this woman just spent ages telling me about the cover. I wish she'd get on with it and tell me more about the story". Well, that is exactly what I intend to do. Now.

"I've been locked up for 264 days.
I have nothing but a small notebook and a broken pen
and the number in my head to keep me company.1 window.
4 walls. 144 square feet of space. 26 letters in an alphabet
I haven't spoken in 264 days of isolation."

These are the words that greet us on the first page. It must be hard being Juliette Farrars. She has been in isolation for 264 days. Meaning she hasn't seen, spoken to or touched another living soul in 264 days. Her mouth is not used to forming the words that comprise of the alphabet she knows yet remains unspoken.
Juliette is trapped in a living hell. She gets a meal of what one can only describe as gruel, once a day. It is too hot to touch straight away. She knows this only too well and has the scars to prove it.
She sits alone in a cell day and night. One window and about 10 square feet of space. Only a thin blanket and a mattress of springs for company. She has a notebook and a pen, that she rations the ink rather than run it dry.

The world outside is crumbling and has little time to pay attention to the needs and wants of a 17 year old girl. Disease has all but ravaged the poulation. Food has become scarce. Crops do not grow. Birds do not fly. Animals are all but extinct.
This is the world The Reestablishment have created. They said that their way was the only hope they had of fixing things.

But it seems that even they are struggling now in the world of their own creation. The survivors are whispering possibilities of war. So now the very same Reestablishment that locked her up are rethinking their decision. Maybe Juliette could be more use to them than they previously thought. Maybe she is just the warrior the world is in need of. A weapon they can control.

I cannot tell you more of the story, for fear of ruining your own journey of discovery. I can only tell you how it made me feel.

There were times when I felt lost in a pit of despair. I felt like tearing my hair out. There were times when I felt trepidation. In fact, this was most times. However, there were also times when I felt that perhaps something good could arise.

I got so lost within the world that Tahereh created, I felt an empathy with Juliette. There was one paragraph that I felt particularly spoke to me on a personal level.

"In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction"

This spoke to me and touched me in a way I have never felt with other books. I feel like I live my life vicariously through the characters on the page. When I am reading a book I enjoy, I tend to feel like I am the female MC. In this case I was Juliette. The things that happened to her, happened to me. When she felt fear, I felt it too. When she felt anger, I felt it too. I was a world of emotions throughout this book. Not many of them good in the beginning. But I am glad to say, there were moments of elation and I felt those too. They were few and far between, but were enough to keep me from feeling like all was bleak and hopeless.

In fact, there was hope. There were even times of happiness. Stolen moments here and there. These were what kept my eyes glued to - and my fingers turning the pages.

This is one of my favourite books of 2011. There is no denying I was desperately upset when it ended. I felt a huge loss. There were no more words for me to devour. I must wait until goodness knows when for another installment. But one thing I do know is that as soon as I hear of the next release, I will be clamouring to get in line for it. Or maybe I'll buy it on Amazon and save myself the hassle of beating someone to death in the local bookshop because they had the audacity to pick up the last copy!

Well done Tahereh on an absolutely stunning debut. Also, well done on capturing my attention and keeping me on tenterhooks for book two. This is not an easy feat, but you did it. And you did it well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anazing!, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Paperback)
This book is amazing! I can understand the negative comments, as Mafi's style isn't for everyone - but it was definitely for me.

I'll admit, at the start you sort of wonder what the hell is happening and why this crazy girl is where she is and so on, but as you read the characters evolve and make you turn page after page after page.

'Shatter Me' is very different from the books I usually read, but I wasn't disappointed at all. I really reccommend this to anyone who is looking for something a bit different to read.
(P.S I'm actually a girl, I'm on my dad's account!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it and treasure it!, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Shatter Me (Hardcover)
Welcome to Shatter Me, please, enjoy the ride and don't forget to take your bag of hope before you leave! Ready? Come with me, please.

Facts:
- I read it in one night and one morning. Not because I wanted to stop but because I had had a rough day and couldn't keep my eyes open.
- I wanted to hug Juliette after reading the first page and keep her safe.
- I told my husband about the book and after that he kept sending me messages to know what was going on. Which I found hilarious and sweet.
- The characters were so real...

Juliette has been trapped in a cell for 264 after a homicide she didn't want to do... but it happened and she was convinced that, without her the world would be safer secure. Besides? She never had a real friend or the love of her parents who often remembered her that she was a freak, an abomination that couldn't be their daughter.

With nothing awaiting her outside and a world where a group called The Reestablishment had taken the control her hopes were none. To begin with, this group proclaimed that they wanted to help the world reach a better place, find answers for the problems that were raising with Mother Earth and take care of the people.
And looks like, with nothing better to choose, we chose them.
Big mistake. Ever.

All they did was slave people, kill the rebels and use their power to terrorize everybody.

But the hope of our heroine began to blossom again when a new roommate entered her life. Another human being, probably a lunatic, was with her, in the same room, a boy. And... somehow, she remembered him from somewhere.

What began as a scary situation developed into a pure love that would change their world completely.
That is until Juliette realized that Adam was only spying on her and that a handsome but cruel boy wanted to use her to torture and kill people.

Personal opinion:
I have to admit, at the beginning it was hard to follow Juliette's thoughts because she kept repeating words, phrases, crossing out things she wanted to say but was afraid to do so.
And then Tahereh caught me in the world she had created for Juliette and didn't let me go.

Soon I realized that the way Juliette thought was authentic, her own personality trying to break free from the prison that her life had become. The transition we share with her during the book allow us to see, with our own eyes, how her confidence improves, how she begins to say what she really thinks and that she is not longer afraid of being authentic.

What I loved most about her? She is strong. Truly strong. I picture her as a phoenix who, doesn't matter how many times you hurt her and try to destroy her, she will rise again, strong and beautiful, with her hopes intact.
The world chose to hate her? Fine. She understood that but she would never hurt anyone on purpose. And that defines her very well.

Adam will also enchant you with his charisma. He is simply amazing, a true gentleman, a kind soul that always looked out for Juliette. His side of the story is very important and you will also develop strong feeling towards him. Their relationship was fire and steam because, somehow, he could... Well, no spoilers, you know me ;)

And, of course, I can't forget our bad guy: Warner. It's rare for me to like the bad guys, you know? Specially people like Warner, heartless, cruel and mischievous but he is such, such a complex character! Amazingly done, Tahereh! This bad guy, being a cruel soul and all, will leave your heart sad. You will want to hug him, at least once. And then you will want to punch him a lot. Which is normal, believe me.

Anyway, my final opinion? Buy the book, read it and treasure it. The end will leave you with a smile in your face and your heart full of hope. The next book will be, for sure, amazing and marvelous. It's impossible to think otherwise.

Shatter Me
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (Paperback - 10 Feb 2012)