4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable, informative book that could be life-saving
I read this book in Danish since I got hold of it by mistake in this language.

I found the book to be somewhat scientifically formulated and to contain many unexplained abbreviations, or perhaps explained when first introduced but not subsequently, all of which did not make it an easy read.
(So it wasn't just the Danish.) There was no index, at least not...
Published 16 months ago by Iona Main Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars Not terribly impressed
Thought this was going to do more than lecture and feature lots of 'aren't I wonderful' testimonials for the author. The recipes I am sure are nice but the presentation is so uninspiring I haven't made anything yet!
Published on 26 Dec 2012 by Alison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable, informative book that could be life-saving, 11 Aug 2013
Iona Main Stewart (Odense, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free (Hardcover)
I read this book in Danish since I got hold of it by mistake in this language.

(So it wasn't just the Danish.) There was no index, at least not in the Danish edition.

There is so much information in this book, that I will just indicate here those aspects of it that I found most interesting/valuable.

The catastrophic state of health among Americans is due to their atrocious diet - Americans suffer from a critical lack of phytochemicals (obtained from plants) and this has had extensive and serious consequences.

60% of the American diet consists of ready-made foodstuffs. These include foodstuffs containing white flour, added sugar/sweeteners and fats. These foodstuffs are generally filled with additives, colouring agents and preservatives and packed in plastic bags and cardboard containers. More than 25% of calories are derived from animal products, and Americans derive under 10% of their calories from unrefined plant foods such as fruit, beans, nuts, seeds and vegetables. This indication of 10% is misleading, however, since about half the vegetables consumed in the US are products made from potatoes, including chips (French fries) and crisps. The true number is 5%.

Dr. Fuhrman explains to us about macro- and micronutrients, Macronutrients are fats, carbohydrates, protein and water, while micronutrients are vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and enzymes. Eating habits comprising "superfoods" with their high content of micronutrients are the secret behind excellent health.

There has been an explosive growth of cancer in the modern world as the consumption of ready-made foods and fast food spread both in the U.S. and in developing countries. It is the combination of overweight and malnutrition that is responsible for this life-threatening epidemic in the modern world.

The author's thesis is that when the body lacks micronutrients from plants, the immune system is weakened, and we become open to various infections and forms of cancer.

Green vegetables contain the most micronutrients that build up the immune system. It is also these that are most strongly involved in prevention of heart disease and cancer.

Green vegetables like cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts and broccoli together with non-green vegetables like cauliflower are termed "cruciferous" vegetables. These contain isothiocyanates which remove cancerous substances and destroy cancer cells.

Increased consumption of cruciferous vegetables results in a corresponding reduction in breast, lung, prostate, colonic and rectal cancer. A 20% increase in consumption of vegetable foods generally corresponds to a 20% fall in the incidence of cancer, while a 20% increase in consumption of cruciferous vegetables corresponds to a 40% fall in the incidence of cancer!

28 portions of vegetables a week reduces the risk of prostate cancer by 33%, while only 3 portions of cruciferous vegetables a week reduces the risk of prostate cancer by 41%.

One or more portions of cabbage a week reduce/s the incidence of pancreatic cancer by 38%.

Moreover, cruciferous vegetables have an antiviral and antibacterial effect.

Cruciferous vegetables should be chewed well so every cell is crushed. They should preferably be puréed, blended or chopped.

Cruciferous vegetables are the strongest cancer-preventing foods to be found and also contain most micronutrients.

Mushrooms contain a large number of substances that support the immune system by protecting us from viruses and bacteria. They can even be effective against autoimmune illnesses like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus due to their ability to combat inflammation and strengthen the immune system.

Onions and garlic are also invaluable in the prevention of cancer and fortification of the immune system.

In a study to ascertain the connection between onion consumption and cancer incidence, it was shown that among those who frequently ate onions there was:

- a reduction of colonic cancer by 56%
- a reduction of ovarian cancer by 88%
- a reduction in oesophageal cancer by 56%
- a reduction of prostate cancer by 71%
- a reduction in stomach cancer by 50%.

Moreover, eating pomegranates prevents breast, prostate and colonic cancer as well as leukemia and this fruit has many other important health-giving qualities.

All berries also have strong cancer-preventing qualities. They are superfoods. It is also extremely important to eat nuts and seeds, which contain invaluable nutrients.

To summarize, the superfoods stated by the author to provide optimal immunity are as follows:

Kale/green cabbage leaves/mustard greens
Rucola (is that an English word?), watercress
Lettuce and common cabbage
Broccoli and Brussels sprouts
Onions and garlic
Mushrooms
Pomegranates
All types of berries
Seeds (flax, chia, sesame and sunflower).

This book provides a wealth of absolutely essential information, most of which I have not touched upon.

However, I do not agree with the author in everything. For instance, he does not believe in the value of taking Vitamin C supplements. Personally, I have in my youth experienced amazing cures of whooping cough (when I was really ill) and mumps by means of large doses of Vitamin C. My little daughter overcame mumps in 24 hours. I haven't had the flu for 36 years since beginning to take Vitamin C regularly and only in a moderate dose (2 g.), neither have I had a cold for about 30 years.

Dr. Fuhrman has successfully treated patients with autoimmune disorders by his nutritional advice. A plant-based or vegan diet is often effective against autoimmune disorders. The inclusion of a large amount of green cruciferous vegetables is a key factor.

The book provides a few accounts by patients of Dr. Fuhrman that have healed themselves by adopting his nutritional advice, one of them from lupus.

There is a valuable section on the dangers and inefficacy of vaccinations, including vaccinations against the flu.

At the end of the book you will find some attractive recipes, including "Dr. Fuhrman's famous cancer-preventing soup".

I do not concur with the author in his recommendation of use of microwave ovens, and fail to understand how such a health-conscious person can recommend such a dangerous apparatus that deprives food of its life energy.

In conclusion, despite its faults, this is a valuable, informative book that can be life-saving to its readers, if they follow his advice. Read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Education not Medication., 19 July 2013
Mr. M. S. Shah (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I'm a medical doctor and currently training to be a GP after having doing a couple years of Emergency Medicine. I spotted this book in Waterstones, it looked interesting so ordered it on my amazon app. The book is easy to read and the more you get into the book the harder it is to put down. I agree with Dr Fuhrman, that physicians today are largely the distribution arm of pharmaceutical companies whose goal is to make profit. It may sound cynical but doctors are good at diagnosing illnesses but very bad at health promotion and disease prevention simply because the medical school curriculum has so little focus on health. This is partly because most modern research into diseases is done by big pharmaceutical companies or they provide grants for such research.

Television series has elevated doctors in most people's minds, but when you are diagnosed with a serious illness, you will see how little doctors can really do for patients. Today we are seeing diseases in numbers not seen before even if we account for increasing population and better diagnostic techniques. Just a few months ago - Cancer Research UK stated that colon cancer has increased by 29% in men in the last 35 years. In medschool we were taught that 1 in 3 people will be diagnosed with a cancer. MacMillan cancer services, which is charity supporting people diagnosed with cancer, believe that by 2020 - 1 in 2 people will have a diagnosis of cancer.

I often see patients in clinic who get recurrent colds, various other infections or boils and keep being asked, "doctor why do i keep getting these infections?", and often we often don't have a good answer.

In Super Immunity, dr Fuhrman argues that most people concentrate on macro nutrients such as fats, proteins, carbohydrates but many of us are deficient in micronutrients which are vital for health. The processed food we eat, though looks and tastes nice, is not real food as leaves the body starving of good nutrients. Most of what Dr Fuhrman claims is referenced.

Though I haven't used the diet regime given in the back of the book, I have taken much of what was recommend on board.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. Has changed the way I think about medicine and health. Prevent disease and age gracefully by eating raw, organic foods, exercise regularly and rest well. Common sense really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely high quality and ilfe changing information, 28 May 2013
This is only a review for the first half of the book, I did not try any recipe.
I always defined myself as carnivorous (although I love eating fruits) and never liked eating cooked vegetables or green leafs.
But the author makes a very good case, backed by scientific evidence, for a better diet based on grean leafs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, mushrooms, berries, and little meat if any.
He also debunks many myths such as all the drugs doctors prescribe for benign colds that only mask the symptoms without really curing the disease. I related to that part a lot: I instinctively never went to any doctor for colds and always let my body naturally deal with it.
Thanks to this book, I now know better what to eat and what to avoid, and the real consequences of the food that we all know we should avoid (refined sugar, wheat, processed food in general, etc.)

Now enough of the theory and let's talk about the practice.
If you're like me, fond of meat and fruits but not vegetables, a good solution I found was to buy a juicer.
I recommend the Omega 8004/8006 (in Europe it is called Omega 8224/8226) for that.

I basically juice carrots, apples, pears (I like those), maybe half a grapefruit, some tomatoes, and I add all those grean leafs (kale, chard, spinnach, anything) and vegetables (broccoli, coliflower, etc) that I normally never eat.
A juice made with a masticating juicer is extremely high in nutrition that will get absorbed within 10 to 15mn on an empty stomach.
I drink 0.5 to 1L a day (unless on holidays)
I've been doing this for few months, never been better.
My bowel movements occur more often and I have more energy.
Drinking juice had reduced my craving for coffee: I used to drink 2 Latte Macchiato a day (with 2 shots of espresso in each), and I cut down to a maximum of 1, much smaller amount, with only 1 espresso shot (and only when I feel tired from lack of sleep).
My craving for meat reduced dramatically, I couldn't believe it.
I used to require meat for lunch AND dinner, and sometimes I'd even eat it for breakfast if available.
Now not anymore, I eat meat for lunch because I don't like mainstream vegetarian food, but for dinner I often do without and I eat fruits, drink a juice, or even an occasional vegetarian recipe (homemade, such as korean bibimbap).
When I go food shopping, I know buy loads of veggies instead of buying lot of meat.

So I recommend juicing if you would like to incorporate veggies and green leafs in your diet but hate the taste.
Not to mention the loss of nutrients when you cook those...

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 21 Jan 2013
Dr Fuhrman seems to talk good sense, certainly made me think twice about my diet.I would be very unwise not to give serious thought to the food I put into my body after reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 25 Jun 2014
Peter Hall (Co Kerry, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Based on a mass of scientific evidence which is all listed in the rear of the book, this really shakes up conventional wisdom about diet and health. I have made major changes to my eating patterns as a result and feel much better because of it.
This is the sort of stuff that should be taught in schools. What foods we really should be eating and how we can drastically reduce disease through good nutrition.
For most people the contents will come as a surprise, but it is all backed up by a mountain of incontrovertible scientific evidence. If you want good health, the solution is in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you want to be healthy!, 30 Dec 2011
This is the book to read if you want to get real health from inside out. I was already a vegan but now, after following the insight knowledge from Super Imnunity, specialy focusing on vegetables and beans, and the delicious recipes at the end, I feel more light and nourished than ever. The main formula works wonders on your system: Health=Nutrients/Calories. Go for it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best health book I have ever read!, 27 Sep 2014
Mr. C. H. Forrester (UK) - See all my reviews
Wow! You go through life "looking after yourself " and a serious disease comes along. Now after reading this book I am empowered to go into the future knowing that I can influence /reduce the liklihood of me contracting serious diseases in the future due to what I eat. The statistics/academic case studies back up his arguement and now I know the nutrients in vegetables which keep you healthy and well (not just the dumbed down .."eat 5 a day because we tell you so" (as if the population is too stupid to understand)! I bought 2x more copies for family members I thought their lives (& health) should benefit from this knowledge. If only he would make a film/TV programme and broadcast it to our unhealthy nation to educate them and politicians to change our food habits and policy.He also needs to also translate it into other languages for other nations benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book!, 11 Dec 2011
An excellent book with information hard to find elsewhere.Written by a doctor but easily understandable.Full of information to help you build a strong immune system. Includes delicious recipes, easily made at home .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book with Excellent Information!, 6 July 2014
Brilliant Book. Very informative indeed. Excellent Advice too! I lost 2 stone very quickly using Dr Joel Fuhrmans plan & have so much energy when I juice its an amazing difference. I feel healthier too & have had less allergies. All in all a great read & very educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BUY, 27 Sep 2013
Mr. David Thomson (united kingdome) - See all my reviews
I found this book an excellent buy, since it was extremely informative, easy to read, and full of fascinating facts regarding what foods to eat in order to lead a healthy life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›