4.0 out of 5 stars Really good end to the series, but predictable in places
I absolutely love this series, and Jeaniefe Frost is one of my favourite urban fantasy authors, so of course I was going to read Up From the Grave. The seventh and final book in the Night Huntress series is just as action packed and as exciting as we've come to expect, but there was something missing in this one for me.

Life has been pretty quiet and peaceful...
Published 5 months ago by Jo

3.0 out of 5 stars up from the grave
i choose this rating as i have read all of Jeanine frost books and have waited for this one to come out. but it was not as good as the other ones in the series. all of her others books i have not been able to put down once i started to read them but this one i could. it did not keep you enthrolled the same.
Published 12 months ago by adrian skaife

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good end to the series, but predictable in places, 17 Sept. 2014
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up From the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel (Mass Market Paperback)

Life has been pretty quiet and peaceful for Cat and Bones lately, and Cat's come to enjoy it. But when the Don's ghost pays her a visit to say her old team mates and friends have gone missing, Cat will put aside her peaceful life to find out what's going on. Turns out Madigan, Don's replacement, has been conducting experiments on her friends behind the scenes. He wants to create a species that are human, vampire and ghoul all at once to create an unbeatable army for humans. Knowing neither vampire nor ghoul will let something like that slide, Cat and Bones are racing against time to stop Madigan and save her friends. But revelations throw a spanner in the works, and Cat discovers more than she bargained for.

Up From the Grave is a really sweet novel. As I said, there's excitement and danger throughout, and some of the things Madigan has done are atrocious. You're still on the edge of your seat, dying to know what happens. But you can feel it's the end of the series as you go along. Cat comments frequently about how she misses the peace they had, and wanting to go back to that. There's also several instances of Cat truly realising what she wants from life, and that's to spend it with Bones. She accepted how she felt about Bones a long time ago - they're married now, even - but I think in Up From the Grave she discovers just how deep her feelings go, just how much she loves him, and what her life would be without him - nothing. There's also a time or two when we get similar comments from Bones. There's a very strong feel that their life together is more important than anything else, which is part of the winding down of the series. They're going to focus on their own little world when everything has calmed down.

Cat and Bones mentioned things that had happend in previous books quite a number of times. This was probably meant to be a nod to the series ending - showing how far Cat and Bones have come, and the things they've gone through together - but I didn't always remember what was being discussed. There have been two Prince of Darkness books since the last Night Huntress Novel, and a few Night Huntress World books interspersed between the others. It's been a long time since those other Night Huntress books came out, and I simply couldn't remember what they were talking about, but there wasn't enough recap to jog my memory. So sadly, most of the references went over my head.

I did find Up From the Grave kind of predictable in places, though. There were some extremely emotional times in this book, but there were always hints as to what would happen, so I couldn't get as anguished as Cat, because I didn't believe what was happening. I think the predictability is what let me down a bit; I knew what was coming for certain parts of the books, and so although it was exciting and had me on the edge of my seat, I wasn't surprised. And the big, big reveal? Really obvious. So obvious. I couldn't work out how things are as they are, but I gathered really on what the outcome would be. It was just glaringly obvious. And although it fits in with the plot completely, it feels a little too conveniant. It seems like Frost decided how she wanted the series to end for Cat and Bones, and then wrote a story to fit that, one that works, one that's plausible and completely in vein with the other books, but still feels a little... self-gratifying? Or maybe a little too generous to the characters? I don't know, but I'm dubious about it. Not only has the series ended, but it's ended wrapped up in a pretty ribbon too. It's not necessarily a bad thing to do - serious kudos to Frost for creating a great story to get this ending without it seeming like an after thought, "Oh, and by the way..." - it was just surprising that Frost chose to. With all that Frost has put her characters through, it just seems a little out of character for things to be so nice and neat. It left me thinking, "Really?"

On the whole, not the best in the series, but still a pretty good book. A nice way to end the series, even if it I have some misgivings about it. I still consider Frost to be one of my favourite authors, and I'm super excited to read more from her in the future!

3.0 out of 5 stars up from the grave, 3 Mar. 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Below par., 16 Feb. 2014
After waiting for forever for this end to the Cat and Bones story, I was so disappointed. Copious word and spelling mistakes, hurried plot, lack of character ark, this felt more like a working plan for a novel than the novel itself. Popular culture references felt lazy and lacking in the sense of humour and nod to reality of the other books. If you are a fan you are going to buy it anyway to see how they end up - spoiler its very twilight esq. Anyone else - don't bother.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminiscent of another very popular vampire book!, 15 Feb. 2014
**spoilers alert**
I've loved the night huntress books and they are my favourite characters in the genre but I was disappointed with Frosts happily ever after being so similar to the (arguably) most popular and notable vampire series in recent years.
I'm surprised that she decided to throw in a big final show down over a forbidden child and an ending that ties the two leads in Cats life together in more than just a vampire and sire role.
All in all a good read and I wouldn't have missed the last instalment in their journey for anything but when you look past it and into the actual story I thought it was, to quote the man himself, "bad form"!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Night Huntress book 7, 28 Feb. 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
3.5 stars

I've been a huge fan of the Night Huntress series ever since I first discovered it, I love Cat and Bones but I also love (or love to hate) all the side characters we have come to know so well throughout the series and the spin off stories. I was upset when I found out that Up from the Grave was going to be the last book in the series, I understand and respect Jeaniene Frost's decision to end things here rather than drag out the storyline but that doesn't mean I felt ready to say goodbye. I'm going to miss these characters but I guess that's the good thing about books - you can always reread them! We also have the final book in Vlad's spin off to look forward to and I'm holding on to hope that we might get an Ian book or two at some point in the future too.

Up from the Grave contains everything fans of this series would expect - lots of action, great interactions between Cat and Bones, a nasty enemy with seriously evil plans and the team joining forces with some surprising allies to save the day. I'm going to admit there were a couple of things I didn't like so much though, things that felt unnecessary to me and lowered my rating slightly, but I can't really say too much without veering into spoiler territory so I'm going to leave it at that very vague pronouncement! What I did enjoy was seeing all of the characters I've come to love play a role in the story. Denise proves what an amazing friend she is in this one and Cat is lucky to have someone like that at her back, I think we could all use a friend like Denise and I was glad she got another chance to shine. Ian is also a stand out character here and the more I see of him the more desperate I am to read a full length story about him!

I love seeing how far Cat and Bones have come in their relationship, they are so much stronger now than they were in the beginning and they really are unbeatable when they're working as a team. They are one of my favourite fictional couples and have been for a long time now so I'm going to miss them. This series is certainly one that will be staying on my keeper shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell my Friends, 3 Aug. 2014
I've cried and laughed with Cat and Bones through all 7 books and numerous side stories.I've read all at least 5 times each and they draw the same impact each time, they are simply the best, I had still been hoping there would be an 8th book, but Jeaniene has wrapped it up in 7. If you love action and romance these books have them both with aside helping of quick wit and heartbreak. These books will be always and forever my favourite series.
I Will depart with one last comment someone on Amazon has posted a review comparing these books to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight, I don't know what planet that person is from they are nothing like Twilight. Let me put it this way if these books were made to films they'd be 18+ not 12 these books are for adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this, the plot, 18 Aug. 2014
I loved this, the plot, the characters and the final resolution. Fast paced, good adversary, excellent repartee and believable relationship development between Cat and Bones and with and between other characters. Love, love, love Ian and wish he had his own story. A fitting end to an excellent series. I wish Vlad had been in it more as he is my favourite from the spin-offs but a real emotional impact at times and a fitting end. Thank you Jeaniene Frost for an amazing series and an upbeat ending that was true to all the charaters in the series, unlike Charlaine Harris who ruined the Sookie Stackhouse series with a ridiculous, completely out of place ending. It shows respect for your readers and overall was a great read. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian must have his own book!, 19 Oct. 2014
I love the stuffings out of him! Ian, man, the way I would read his story! My eyes be moving like wild fire across those book pages! Any who...
Cat and Bones's story finished nicely and I'm not feeling as though there were any loose ends that weren't tied together in their story either. So I'm content with never reading another story of theirs. Though if one came out I would be one of the first to read it. :D.
And.... Ian must have his own book! Bye! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars What an ending!!!, 3 Feb. 2014
Brilliant ending to a fantastic series. I was gripped from the beginning and couldn't put the book down. I won't give any spoilers, but the book follows Cat and Bones plus friends through a final adventure where they are tested at every turn. They are faced with difficult choices and have to decide what's more important, what they want or what everyone else wants.

All the main characters from the series make an appearance, which I really liked. It doesn't end on a cliff hanger, but with the possibility of more if the author so chooses. (I hope so)

The only warring I'll give, if you buy this on the kindle and you have one of the newer versions, don't be fooled by how long is left in the book. Mine said I had 28mins left and when I turned the page it ended. This is due to a caption from the first book being at the end. I was so not prepared and read the last few pages again. But to make sure you are not caught out, and without giving anything away, you know you are coming to the end when they are on a boat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad to be over, 29 Jan. 2014
Another great Cat and Bones book but have to agree with another review that this story lacked the depth and passion that the other books have had. Was disappointed with the Epilogue thought the ending should have been more of an update of a few years down the line. Also missed Vlad and Justina being more involved.

All in all a good read and I couldn't wait to find out what happened at the end.

Up From the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
Up From the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel by Jeaniene Frost (Mass Market Paperback - 30 Jan. 2014)