Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2009
This is a good addition to the story of Supernatural. It fills in some of the history of John Winchester and the boys providing some interesting titbits of information that, so far, have not been in the show or the graphic novels. I say so far because there is a new graphic novel due out at the end of this month.

If you want to know more about Sam and the effects the Yellow Eyed Demon have had on him, check this out. Want more info on Dean and the car, look here. Want to know why John was so Paranoid and Dean so protective then buy the book. Just want to know more - there is more in this book!

Supernatural lover or obsessive check it out because there is a lot of back story that fills in some of the gaps left by the show.
on 26 May 2009
Well worth the money, time and effort I spent on this product. I love Supernatural so it compliments the show. Interesting to read about the boys upbringing and background to the Winchesters. Good to see the story backgrounds to the lores and legends that we see on Supernatural. A fab find. Spooktastic!
on 27 December 2010
I think this is the perfect book for any Supernatural fan, you get more detail about the life of John Winchester and the creatures involved in the programme.
on 11 August 2013
I am fan of Supernatural so it was a must to buy this book for me. It is a real diary where you can read about certain events in Sam and Deans life (some of them mentioned in the series) but also learn more about supernatural creatures, legends and historical facts. If you enjoyed Supernatural then you must have this book.
on 27 December 2009
I bought this book as I'm an Avid Fan of Supernatural.
I drive my family mad but they know that the programme is great.
This is a must buy for any fan as it fills in some of the information about their father ans what he was feeling when Mary his wife died.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of the show.
on 18 March 2015
A great read. Don't need to recommend it to SUPERNATURAL fans as they will buy it anyway. But for anyone interested in urban legends or myths it is also a good read as the SUPERNATURAL team are very meticulous in their research for the show and any of the creatures or ghostly entities can be found on line in various cultures, as can the Latin incantations. I gave it 4 stars because the look of the book disappointed me. I didn't expect to see "typed" text. I thought the publishers would put a handwriting font on the text to really mimic John's journal; reading it in typed form spoilt it for me a little, as did some of the sketches. John's stick figure of a Wendigo is visually "famous" in the on screen journal but in this book it's a real artists kind of sketch. Minor points really but it mattered to me. Notwithstanding it sits proudly in my bookcase and is a great pick up and read kind of book and outlines the origins of the Winchesters as hunters very well.
on 11 February 2014
it fills in a lot of holes, and if you watch the show -and are an avid fan like me- you can pick up a few references, like when Sam "doesn't want to go bow hunting". I loved it, though there are some passages that confused me, must be in latin or something like that, but there is also info on different monsters, some that aren't on the show. You can also tell how John changes, over the course of his different journal entries, for example he writes a whole page on his feelings on Marys' death on the day their anniversary a year later but they get smaller and more focused on 'what killed her' and revenge rather than 'the boys' or his own well being, which i think describes his character in the show well. It also ends the same way it did on the show, when John goes missing. I recommend this book for anyone who is a huge fan!
on 13 November 2014
Have read this book and love it. This book follows John Winchester and his two son's Sam & Dean just after the death of his wife John knew that something was out there and it killed her he goes hunting for the thing that did it but on his way he comes across other supernatural creatures. John takes the boys along with him and he meets some other hunters like Bobby Singer. Must read for all die hard Supernatural fans if you want to find out the before story behind the boys we see on our screens today then get this it is his journal that shows up in the first episode of Supernatural
on 5 July 2012
John Winchester's Journal is an item that fans of Supernatural will be all very familar with. The journal which once belonged to Sam and Dean's father is passed onto Dean who alongside Sam come to rely on the journal for many of their hunts. The journal is a great addittion to the other available Supernatural books and gives a great insight into how John coped and often did not cope and his hunt to find what killed his wife those many years ago. It's a gripping and interesting read that fans will surely find they cannot put down once they pick up.
on 1 September 2014
Because I am a huge Supernatural fan (the series) I could relate to everything which was written and had a better understanding of John and his sons lives from Johns prespective.
Having the book written just like a diary was interesting but felt a little cheated for all the things that he may have missed out. I suppose that could be the fact that I usually read your normal story books.
I did find it exciting though to the point I started to watch all my seasons on Supernatural again :)