Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 November 2014
I love this book. It was the first of Donald Trump's books I had ever read. I love his kick ass attitude and I think anyone who criticizes him for it is simply jealous! Business is a dog eat dog world and if people believe it is all fluffy bunny rabbits and butterflies they will get eaten alive. What he's really teaching in this book is believing in yourself, have confidence and self respect. This can also be applied to every single area of your life. Who really wants to be walked all over by other people? And hey, the guy isn't at the top of the real-estate and business world for no reason!

Trump explains in this book how he built himself up as a young man, almost lost it all and then built it all up again. What better person to learn from than someone who has made it twice and through the toughest climates? I admire the way he never shy's away from owning up to his mistakes as this shows the strength of the lessons he has learnt.

This book includes words from another self made business entrepreneur Bill Zanker at the end of each chapter. I find his story to be amazing and I have a massive respect for his think big attitude. However, the contrast in style between the way that Donald Trump's stories were written meant that sometimes, whilst I was reading the parts from Zanker, I was still thinking about what Trump has said prior to it. It is worth rereading Zanker's parts alone if this happens to you too as his story is hugley inspirational.
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2008
Donald Trump is not everyone's cup of tea and he doesn't pretend otherwise. This book pulls no punches and it contains advice that many people may find downright unpleasant. However, it is honest. It is an honest insight into what it takes to accumulate the kind of wealth Trump has. I'm not a huge fan of Trump but he's the billionaire and I'm not.

To paraphrase some of Trump's advice: "If someone screws you, screw them back ten times worse"; "Win-win is rubbish. The best deal is when I win and the other guy loses"; "It doesn't matter if they don't like you, make sure they respect you"; "Life is brutal. Your friends want what you have - and they're your friends. Imagine what your enemeis will do." You get the idea...

What I like about the book is that he doesn't sugar-coat the pill. He doesn't pretend to be something he's not; he doesn't pretend to be a billionaire friend of everyman. He's tough and he's in your face. And there is advice in there that was a real eye-opener and, yes, some of it was quite inspiring and made me look at how I run my own affairs. Make no mistake, it's not for everyone and not everyone wants to be Donald Trump (a part of me included) and that's fine.

Trump's approach is not the only way to make a lot of money but it is certainly an interesting insight into what it takes if you want to take his path.
on 12 November 2011
Like him or loathe him, Donald is obviously very rich and successful. In this book he shares his attitudes, values and experiences that have contributed towards his success. You can't knock his enthusiasm, passion, damn persistence and hard work.

For those of you who have read the Secret, you will recognise some of the principles which Donald seems to know and use instinctively and he gives examples of how he used his principles when building his empire. Some of Donald's principles do not align very well with the Secret, such as his determination to extract revenge (but fifteen times worse) on those who have wronged him. But I'm sure even the Secret has its flaws. You really do not hear a lot of testimonials, especially from Brits living in deprived areas and living on a pittance, who have read the Secret and become rich and successful on the back of it.

Back to DT. The main thrust of the book gives the reader a sense of the mind-set that he or she should have if they want to be mega rich and successful in business and personal achievements. Bill Zanker (who also contributes to 'Think Big') gives examples of how he used Donald's attitude to develop his business and became ultra successful. Now the following observation may seem a strange thing to say given that Donald Trump is obviously aware of his own strengths (I say that kindly in case he finds out and 'gets even' with me but fifteen times worse), but Zanker seems to lack a humanistic side that Donald demonstrates - DT does indeed have feelings and is probably quite a nice guy - Zanker comes across as more self centred.

Anyway, ignore all this emotional stuff. Look at the book objectively and work out what you aren't doing now that you should be doing. Both DT's and Zanker's examples of how applying the 'Think Big' principles work are what this book is all about. And the strange thing is that you can actually imagine them working.

A small taster of the principles:

Set your sights high - if you were an athlete you wouldn't aim for bronze, you would aim for gold. If you want a business don't aim small, aim to be the very best (better than all your competitiors) then work your hardest towards it. Don't let the detail of why you can't do it (I don't have the time/money/skills or knowledge etc) stand in your way. Always have in mind your larger goals and deal with the obstacles as challenges. So - make the time/if you can't get the money you need then you will need to be creative and think of a way round it/if you lack skills or knowledge then educate yourself and learn from others.

Never ever quit - set your big goals around something you love doing so that when you feel like quitting you can channel your passion into making it work.

But be flexible. If you stick rigidly to your goals you may be limiting yourself. This is not a contradiction with the above comment. It is saying that you should persevere but not be so limiting that you miss opportunities that you hadn't thought of. Donald says that the road to the top has detours, twists and turns but that it makes things exciting, interesting and fun. He gives tons of examples of what he means.

The difference between this book and the hundreds of other self help books and articles I have read is that this one looks at success from the top down then tells you what skills and attitude you need to get you there. Others seem to set off small and focus on where you are now which makes it difficult to imagine what it must be like even having an extra £1,000 in the bank never mind about millions. This thought pattern is itself limiting.

Is this book for you? It is for people who want a challenge and who have the strength to defy others and not worry about what everyone else thinks about them. It is for people who want to change their whole way of life (you don't have to change your family but you may need to rethink your social network, what you do in your spare time, where you go etc).

I could go on. There are nuggets of advice relating to really useful attitudes throughout this book and if they don't come naturally to you, you'll have to change your mind-set and habits. That's the tricky bit and is the road I'm now on myself (aged 51 no less). If this book and the Secret work for me, believe me, you'll be the first to know about it.
I have read 100's of very poor books on the Laws of Attraction in the last few years. I started reading books about goal setting, mind control and success principles in 1985. I have used what I learnt from my extensive reading, coupled with academic qualifications, business and psychology experience, to create a consulting company, teaching seminars to corporations in strategic thinking, leadership, marketing, goal setting and business development. I also use the principles to help individuals, by guiding them as a Peak Performance Coach, teaching people cognitive methods to help goal set and enhance their lives beyond what they could do on their own. As such, I read as many books as I can, on a variety of subjects to enhance my knowledge. I can honestly say, that with all that experience, that this book is a very good book to read on self development. It is written by a man who thinks BIG and shares this philosophy to everyone who reads it.

There are no amazing insights that you will not find, in other self development book. The self help ideas are interwoven into Trump's own stories of success and some failings. Some of the stories are repeated throughout the book. In fact a lot of the ideas are repeated and repeated. This is another book that could have done with some editing, although every time he repeats a story he does link it to the point he is making. I think the best way to describe this book is that it is motivating, whilst educating the reader how a Billionaire thinks. There are some very good insights on failure and mind set, which most self help readers will like. There is enough business philosophy and deal making ideas to satisfy the business reader.

What I did like, at the end of each chapter, there is a box that provides a summation of the chapter, and then a list of point by point references, to the key parts of the material in the chapter.

Whilst this book could have done with some editing, it is on the whole a great read for those interested in self help or business. It has some very good insights, and I will be reading more Trump books in the future. Whilst not as dense in detail as a John Maxwell self help book, this book offers a great insight into Trump as a; person, businessman and BIG THINKER. Great book, well worth reading.
on 31 July 2012
This is the worst book I've ever read.

So bad that I forced to myself to endure it until the end - thinking there must be *some* revelation or 'secret to success' to come. Of course there wasn't.

I'm frankly baffled that this book has received positive reviews. Each to their own; and perhaps as a business owner in the UK my perspective is slightly different.

If you're looking to be 'entertained' by a book of anecdotes from Donald Trump about his business history, or some kind of apologetica seemingly trying to convince people that he's 'not that bad after all' then perhaps this is for you. If, however you are actually in business, and would like any kind of useful advice to help steer your business in the face of competition - go elsewhere - there is nothing to learn from this man's glib, vacuous insights.

This is the first negative review I've ever written about anything, which might give you some idea of my disdain for paying good money for what turned out to be utter tripe.

If you need any kind of confirmation that Trump is a loathsome hateful pig, buy this book.
77 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2013
Thanks to 'The Apprentice USA', Donald Trump has re-emerged as a major figure within 21st century pop culture. It is easy to mock him. But reading this series of self-improvement books really does gives us wonderful insights in to what separates the mind of a multi-billionaire from the rest of the 7 billion people on this planet.

As the title says, it is all about coming up with the big ideas and dreams. And then, doing all you can to realise them. Life really is brief. So, why think along small steps? This is the thinking behind Donald Trump.

If you were into the works of people like Anthony Robbins and Paul McKenna, you would love this book. Re-reading some of its chapters on a weekly basis really do have an energising effect on one's mind. With other books within this genre, one has to question whether its author or authors had really achieved real success. I'm interested in getting advice about success from men and women who had really achieved extraordinary things. And in this case, Donald Trump is part of the aristocracy of great entrepreneurs. If you want to learn about how to make the best of your life and talents, this is one of those books you must read.
on 15 November 2009
If you asked someone who said "Think BIG," I bet that many would be able to point to Trump. This man does everything big. He has to build the tallest buildings, work with the best people, and make the most money. He portrays an image that he is larger than life. Some might admire him and others might hate his arrogance. Whatever you think, it works for him and it is contagious. He is, no question, the American success story.

I think that Trump is the kind of person that "you get what you see." In this book, he provides advice on how be successful in life and business. His advice is straight to the point, and he doesn't care if it offends anyone. I am not a huge fan of him, but for some reason, he just keeps me interested. I guess he is a good salesman. His advice makes total sense and I agree with a lot of it.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market
on 6 October 2015
Surprising - when you concentrate on the tenets. To quote just a few: "I like to live my life on the cutting edge of progress - not for the money but for the sheer joy of participation.... If you hesitate when an opportunity presents itself to you, it may be the fear of failure that makes you procrastinate. Break through this fear, for if you make a habit of procrastination then all your goals become empty promises that will never be fulfilled... Also study books and learn from experienced people in the field. Then, as soon as you can, start doing it. Do not wait around for the 'right time' or until you are perfect. It will never happen. Start right away. You will learn more from doing than you would learn from anything else."
There are many more of that ilk.
on 26 July 2015
I wanted to dedicate an afternoon to reading one of the series of books written or co-written by Donald Trump considering the press attention he is currently enjoying. I found that the vast majority of the insight within this book could be significantly beneficial to business professionals independent of the stage of business growth, previous achievements, industry sector or geographic location. While I agree that thinking big is rather paramount when in business or for that matter ones private live I do think some of the ideas might be best suited to North America and emerging markets over the United Kingdom and Europe. Al, in all an interesting and informative read.
on 29 May 2008
This is a good on the train type read. The relaxed style is easy to read and has a number of thoughts that get you thinking, also the themes are grouped thoughts rather than the shorter random bursts. Some of the themes are repeated from previous books and there is no week in the life which are often interesting reads. But the Q&A section at the back is good (and re enforces chapters in the book). If your looking for a first Trump read get Art of the Deal, before this good read.