5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY BRILLIANT
Elena Baxter is a healer with extraordinary powers she does not care to advertise for fear of repercussions following her mother's rejection. She works as a volunteer in a hospital, secretly healing sick children, but her personal life is bleak since the death of her grandfather.
Published on 14 Feb 2006 by Jane Garrett

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to buy the next one
Published on 14 Dec 2006 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY BRILLIANT, 14 Feb 2006
Artur Luginov, ex-Russian Mafia hit-man, works for Dirk and Steele, the paranormal detective Agency featured in Tiger Eye. You don't have to read it to understand this book, but I recommend it because it's excellent, too. Artur too has special talents- he can read minds by touching someone, or even just an object they have come into contact with. He is kidnapped and wakes up in an unkown institution where he is tested and tortured in an attempt to force him to work with the 'Consortium'- and clearly not for the altruistic purposes he has lately persued.
In a chance encounter, he meets Elena, who is also kidnapped, in a corridor and after a confrontation with Rictor, Elena's enigmatic guard, and Charles, the vicious serail killer who engineered his capture, Elena heals Artur who collapses, close to death. In order to heal him they must mind merge, but only with Rictor's assistence can Elena remove the toxic psychic 'worm' in his brain.They realise the worm is an attempt at mind control by the head of the Consorium, Beatrix Weave, known as the Spider, who plans- guess what? -to dominate the world.
Artur and Elena soon realise that their link is permanent, and an emotional intimacy grows between them that soon flowers into love. They also realise that there are other prisoners here, too-two shapeshifters who are subjected to similarly cruel treatment from the sadistic doctor who 'studies' the paranormal captives.
The four manage to escape with the help of Rictor, and Artur is determined to stop the Consortiums plans. They also become lovers, but whilst their are love scenes, this is not romantica, and they do not dominate the story. They are persued every step of the way, but it is the bond between Elena and Artur that provides the vital ingredients in their fight against evil.
I thought this was one of the best paranormal romances I have read in a long time, and it easily fulfills my high expectations after reading Tiger Eye. It is a well paced adventure set in a meticulously detailed world, with a host of complex and magical characters, not just Elena and Artur but a range of secondary characters too. I was particularly intrigued by Rictor, and wouldn't be suprised if he features in later books, since this is obviously a series which could run and run- at least, I hope it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action Packed Romance, 25 Feb 2006
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
"Shadow Touch" is the sequel to the wonderful "Tiger Eye" and tells the tale of Artur, the Russian ex-mafia gangster able to absorb a person's memories with the slightest touch. Taken from the streets of Moscow, he ends up in America, working for Dirk & Steele, an investigation agency which employs some very unusual people.
Elena Baxter thought she'd been careful, discreetly using her power of healing to cure sick children. When she is kidnapped by the Consortium, a similar organisation to Dirk & Steele, it is to use her gift for sinister purposes. Artur too is trapped in the same facilitry, captured following his investigation into a grisly murder, in the hope that his knowledge of Dirk & Steele can be extracted from his mind.
When Elena fights to heal Artur following a psychic attack from a very dangerous woman, the pair establish a telepathic bond. So emotionally connected, it doesn't take time for the pair to fall in love, and for the first time Artur is able to touch someone without it causing him pain. Escaping captivity accompanied by a shapeshifting cheetah and dolphin, and later joined by a clairvoyant, an electokinetic and a shape shifting crow, the group end up in Moscow to try and avert a meeting between the mafia bosses which could lead to worldwide disaster.
Although Elena is overjoyed to meet other people with special abilities; during her captivity she discovers she can and will use her own gift to kill if necessary. With events escalating towards crisis point, the group try to outrun The Quiet Man, the psychopathic serial killer whom Artur was investigating, a man who has become obsessed with Elena. Unfolding incidents force Artur and his companions to acknowledge that not only does true magic exist causing dark powers to stir in the world, but many more people than previously thought possess paranormal abilities and yet another psychic organisation is in operation with its own agenda.
This is another great book by MML and I am eager to get my hands on the next instalment. The 3rd book within the "Dirk & Steele" series is due for publication in July 06 - "The Red Heart of Jade" is the story of Dean Campbell, the clairvoyant who appears in both "Tiger Eye" and "Shadow Touch". This author has introduced further wonderful characters in this book and I for one am itching to learn more of Rictor, a man with remarkable abilities who although under the control of another, is sworn to protect Elena at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars One more for my keeper shelf, 15 Dec 2005
I. Fenton "Felinewyvern" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
If you like a book with main characters that are psychic and secondary characters that shape shift then this is the book for you. The romance is so subtle but integral even non romance readers will enjoy this book. Marjorie M Liu is a good writer who manages to blend science and magic into a believable whole. With a dash of action and humour to add spice to the story it’s a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat from the first page. I couldn’t put it down and will be adding it to my keeper shelf.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to buy the next one, 14 Dec 2006
I didn't read the 1st book in this series but this book is strong enough to stand on its own so if you do not want to, you don't have to. When I initially got the book it took some getting into, but once it captured my attention, I couldn't put it down. The story is well developed as are the characters, although I can't wait to see if some of them get their own books. What I will say is that there isn't much by the way of romance (which I was slightly dissapointed by) so if you like your books quite steamy this may not be for you. If however you are looking for an enjoyable paranormal read, I strongly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite amazing..., 18 Jan 2007
Not sure I read the same books as the other reviewers.

'Shadow Touch' looked very promising when I first picked it up and the rather vague synopsis on the bake intrigued me enough to borrow it from a library and boy am I glad I didn't spend money on it.

Maybe it's because I haven't read any books by MML before but It took me a very long time to actually understand just what the hell was going on. I mean, I have a very active imagination (believe you me) but I think this book took the whole paranormal thing to a whole new level.

I felt that MML spent more time on the complexities of the characters and their 'powers' than she did on the actual plot so when you finally surfaced from a pain-stakingly detailed description some sort of psychic 'worm' tracking system thing, you suddenly realised the plot had moved on by, like, 4 steps without you knowing.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad book; not at all. I mean I did read it from beginning to end (the latter being a bit of a rushing-to-answer-all-of-the-thousands-of-questions job) but in my opnion, don't bother reading this if:

a) you're just looking for something to pass the time - cos you'll have a creased forehead till the very end

b) this is your first foray into the paranormal genre - you might want to start with something lighter (maybe amanda scott?)

c)you're into rather raucnhy reads - there is zero anticipation and only one, very...blurred sex scene

nad finally d)you, like me, are searching for a romance book with an attention grabbing, blanced, spicy, naturally progressive plot 'cos let's face it: this book just aint got it goin on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marjorie M Liu Novels., 24 Feb 2013
I love this author, her novels are amazing and so well written. She writes stories that allow you to lose yourself and you find yourself journeying along with the characters that you are reading about, you actually get a glimpse of what they are going through and can metaphoracally speaking experience everything that they do

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed romance, 15 Jun 2008
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow Touch, 3 July 2011
This review is from: Shadow Touch: A Dirk & Steele Novel (Dirk & Steele Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
This was probably the first Marjorie M Liu book that I had read and had hooked me on the "Dirk & Steele" series.

In my opinion this is the best one of the series.

Why do I enjoy the book?

The supernatural is not completely far fetched. I was not able to put the book first time round and over the years since it was first published I have dipped in on many ocassions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, 14 Dec 2005
This book is the second in her paranormal series and is brilliant, the plot and characters are well developed. I could not put the book down, and I ended up taking the day off work to finish reading it.

Marjorie M. Liu's book is without question going to stay on my book shelf.

I can not wait for more books by her and if you have not read her books before, then I highly recommend her books - it is money well spent

ARRAY(0xa637d1b0)

Shadow Touch: A Dirk & Steele Novel (Dirk & Steele Romance)
Shadow Touch: A Dirk & Steele Novel (Dirk & Steele Romance) by Marjorie M. Liu (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Feb 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01