5.0 out of 5 stars E is for Excellent...
...or at least it would be by the standard laws of definition, but these don't quite apply in this darkly funny and vaguely disturbing book.

Published on 1 Feb 2011 by Dominic Bull

1.0 out of 5 stars SICK!
Published on 1 April 2011 by Casual reader

5.0 out of 5 stars E is for Excellent..., 1 Feb 2011
Dominic Bull "Leeds Guy" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My First Dictionary: Corrupting Young Minds One Word at a Time (Paperback)

A perfect gift for the friend who has everything (or indeed, anything). Witty, laugh-out-loud funny, and possibly mentally scarring, it's the dictionary you wish they'd taught you in primary school to prepare you for the real world. The innocent illustrations are a joy in themselves, but take on a life of their own when coupled with the author's darker associations.

Buy one, read it in a darkened room, then leave it casually lying around for a friend to happen upon, then watch them try to stifle their guilty laughs.

Now how about writing a thesaurus?..

5.0 out of 5 stars Hide this book when your mum comes around!, 5 Jan 2013
It's so wrong it's untrue and I swear I feel guilty every time I laugh at a joke but still I read it and still I laugh. Gonna burn in hell for this :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! Funny and unusual - a winning combination, 15 Feb 2011
Really enjoyed this funny and unusual book. Such a clever idea to use retro illustrations with a contemporary interpretation. Laughed out loud many times and some dark humour as well just to mix it up a bit. A real page-turner, couldn't put it down. Perfect gift idea for anyone with a sense of humour - particularly if they're difficult to buy for.
Give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly Delicious, 19 July 2011
A brilliant little book that will make you gasp in horror and then laugh out loud. Highly recommended. I'm going to buy copies for everyone I know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Right up my street!!, 27 Feb 2011
If you have the annoying friend who literally has everything, but also has the warped sense of humour to go with it, this is definately the book for them!
As a person who generally struggles to get into books at all, this breaks that trend and had me hooked from the letter A! Coupled with the clever illustrations this just adds to the enjoyment.

Hopefully this will be followed up in the not too distant future with Mr Horsley's second book! Perhaps a Thesaurus or a mock on some of our foreign friends!

1.0 out of 5 stars SICK!, 1 April 2011
I guess it takes a special kind of person to consider whatever is written in that book to be funny! Maybe from some strange artistic perspective there is something interesting in the way the book was made (using cute children drawings combined with pervert ideas). They should allow ppl to peek in the book and get an idea of what they are buying. I was expecting something light and funny and amusing! I was so shocked when I started reading - I could not go past B. If you consider child abuse (physical, sexual and mental) funny and amusing - this is your book. Else - don't waste your money!

My First Dictionary: Corrupting Young Minds One Word at a Time
My First Dictionary: Corrupting Young Minds One Word at a Time by Ross Horsley (Paperback - 20 Feb 2011)
8.48