Format: Board book|Change

on 17 September 2007
My just-over-2-years-old nephew has mastered the art of disputing a point by simply saying "It's not ..." whatever it's not repeatedly. So when I saw this book, I thought of him.
The book is lovely. The drawings are very simple and each time you turn the page to see what the rabbit is doing with his box, the child reading it can answer the question themselves because there is no presciptive answer written on the page. I love it because it perfectly demonstrates a child's imagination with a simple box and his determination that he is right right RIGHT.
on 9 March 2009
This book is so simple and spot-on! My four year old loves this book and can really relate to a box being SOOOOO much more than just a box! It is clearly written by an author who knows the inner workings of a child's imagination. This is a book for all children who have pretended that a box is a car/boat/house/robot/etc.
VINE VOICEon 3 October 2008
Packaged like a brown cardboard box, with a weight on the front and `this side up arrows' on the back, this book is incredibly clear and simple, and equally successful for all its simplicity. Very brief timeless text on the left hand pages is accompanied by childish pictures (think Miffy with softer lines) on the right hand, portraying the a rabbit and his box. And overlaid in red, where appropriate, is the shape the box is taking in the rabbit's imagination. For example, on the first page the question is asked "Why are you sitting in a box" [black and white picture of rabbit in box] and over the page, the text reads "It's not a box" and in red we see rabbit's racing car. And so on. Rabbit uses the box for many adventures as a hot-air balloon, an elephant, a robot, and each time the child reader will enjoy describing how the not-a-box is being used this time. Charming, eye-catching in its sparsity and suitable from about a year.
on 3 January 2010
I bought this book on a whim, partly because xmas shopping for a small boy made me wonder whether just a cardboard box would be adequate as a pressie!

the little rabbit in the story has a wonderful imagination, and as i read it to my son i got him to guess what the box was in each picture and i could see his interest had been stirred.
at the end of the story you are left with a little rabbit having to face that his box isn't a racing car or whatever it is (there is an insistent out-of-shot voice that keeps asking what it is) and i had a twinge of worry that the whole premise would be ruined.
BUT it isn't. what the little rabbit decides is (look away now to avoid spoiler!) that his box is in fact a not-a-box. brilliant!
on 28 September 2008
This book perfectly captures the magic that can only occur when a small child is given a large box and left to use their own imagination.

Lovely, simple drawings are the only answers to the "what is it?" question on each page, leaving children to fill in the words themselves.

Wonderful book. Can't wait to read "Not a Stick" :)
on 26 October 2011
I asked my Year 2 class if they had ever played in a big box and pretended it was something else. They came up with all sorts of wonderful ideas ranging from a pirate ship to a secret fairy den. Then I read them Not a Box. They loved it and were really pleased that some of their ideas were in the book. We got some great story writing from this. If you want to really stir the imaginations of your children, then get this book!
on 1 June 2012
If you have read Not a Stick, you'll know exactly what you're getting with this one. It's a nice little book that explores the realm of imagination and using everyday objects in play. Each double page spread has a parent / carer question such as 'why are you standing on the box?', and the next double-page spread has the child rabbit's response with the image of what they're playing at overlayed so you can see (in this example it's a mountain they've climbed, others show a racing car, a robot, a rocket ship etc.).

It's nice to sit down with my daughter and read, discuss the pictures and what the little bunny is imagining, and spot the box in each of the pictures. Personally I prefer Not a Stick, just because I slightly prefer the imaginative uses and the blue and beige colour scheme, but these are really personal preferences and others will feel differently.

I know from other reviews that some parents were concerned these books would be a bit abstract for their children and I felt the same when my partner got Not a Stick, however it's really not the case and my daughter thoroughly enjoys both books.
on 24 July 2015
I was excited to get this book as I thought it would be very spark-the-imagination-y, however I was rather disappointed.

It's written in a disjointed way so it's hard to read to a child - it leaves gaps in the narrative, presumably for your child to fill in, but it would be nice if it had prompts so instead of just saying 'it's not a box' it could say 'it's not a box, it's a...' so your child can join in with that bit. There aren't many pages and the ones there are are unevenly balanced - for example three pages which are just a word or two, then four illustrations crammed onto one page. It gets three stars because the bunny drawings are very cute.
on 30 December 2013
This book is so great, the author really has captured an original way to explore imagination and wonder. It's the go-to book in our house and the one my son actually picks up to 'read' himself (he almost knows all the words from hearing it so often)

The actual book is durable well made.
on 13 September 2015
This is a great board book, well made and designed to be handled by robust toddlers. I love the concept of this book. It really encourages children to use their imaginations and engages children into thinking 'outside the box'. Perfect for sharing with 3yr olds.