5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!
Published on 28 Mar 2012 by James Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Spanish Cookery Book
This is a satisfactory cookery book. I bought it because Claudia Roden's "The book of Jewish Food" really is the very best book about cooking - not just recipes, but anecdotes and written from the heart. "The Food of Spain" is a decent book with many excellent recipes, but it lacks the personal experience of the author.
Published 16 months ago by DR STUART THORNE

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 28 Mar 2012
James Hall "James Hall" (Amsterdam, NL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
Received this book 2 weeks ago, having pre-ordered it and am absolutely loving it! A really good and intelligent work on Spanish cooking, that importantly is written in a way accessible to us in the UK. For me, one of the biggest pluses is that so many of these dishes are possible to knock up for supper after returning from work - yes, there are some that need longer, but it is very evident that Claudia has stuck to her aim of producing recipes that give flavour and satisfaction worthy of the time put into them. Have cooked 4 from the book so far and all have turned out brilliantly.

I note the comments from the less enthusiastic reviewer, although I have to say that I found this a perfect balance between cookery book and scholarly work. There are 122 pages of history and analysis of ingredients before the recipes even begin - to be honest I think that if you want more than that, you should be buying an academic text and not a recipe book! Although some of the information may be already known to many, it's not put across in an overly simplistic way and you can't just skip out mentioning oil and bread, just because it's a well known part of Spanish cookery.

I will confess that the book maybe does not have pages of immediately stand-out 'wow' recipes that make you want to drop everything and cook them. But I think that is partly because so much of Spanish cookery is quite simple, everyday fare. However, if you take the time to read the book and try out recipes, then you really do get the 'wow' - both on a quick weekday supper and a weekend dinner party. I feel certain this book will become one of the most well-thumbed and oil-stained in my kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars For true cooks and foodies, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
For some reason there are a plethora of Spanish cooks books being published. Many of them offer the standard fare. However, if you truly want the heart and soul of Spain on a plate, then this is the book for you. There are of course many simple and easy to cook recipes, but I am absolutely fed up with the quick and simple approach offered up by the likes of the delectable Nigella, to get us all cooking. I want complex, time consuming journeys of culinary delight, and Claudia's book offers this up...big time. To say I love this book is an under-statement it is really a journey into the Spanish kitchen. she is a cook who loves and understands food. The culinary story of Spain is here and is a great read for those who want to understand the food they are cooking, Claudia takes you to the root of the recipes. The food is sublime! Am I going to be watching Rick Stein, of course I am, but I am going to be cooking Claudia Roden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous, 29 April 2012
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
Another exceptional book from Claudia Roden . If you are not interested in food but simply want a recipe book to follow slavishly then perhaps it is not for you . It is ,however, scholarly erudite and fascinating and faithful to the real cooking of Spain . Highly recommended .

5.0 out of 5 stars Echoes of elizabeth, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
I ordered this book after hearing an interview on radio 4's midweek. I much enjoyed Rick Stein's tv series and cook book that covered the same subject, but while Mr Stein's series brought back the memories of Spanish holidays, Mrs Roden's book provided real depth to the subject of cooking in this vast country so influenced by islam, judaism and christianity.

For me, there were clear echoes of that most famous of food writers Elizabeth David. Whilst it is true that Mrs David's writings have probably changed the face of british cookery more than any other author, the occaisional mild, (or not so mild) scolding tone of her writing is a minor irritation entirely absent from Mrs Roden's work. Whilst she writes authoritatively both regards the evolution of food and the wider history, Mrs Roden does not seem to take herself too seriously. On the subject of the blessed alioli and adding pounded garlic and olive oil to bought mayonnaise, she observes "It is cheating, but then many Spaniards cheat".

Claudia Roden's introduction to each recipe and each chapter, whilst highlighting native food writers, (famous in their own country, but not neccesarily outside of it) maintains the food writing, as oppose to cookery book structure. If you enjoy food writing and education as well as recipes, this book will reward the purchase. Buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific brief cultural and cooking history of Spain - and great recipes, 5 Oct 2012
Graham Morris (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
No wonder Claudia Roden is my favourite food writer - received this yesterday and haven't stopped reading it since. The first hundred pages or so offer a fascinating cultural history of Spain which puts the last two millennium into perspective, and explains the culinary heritage of Romans, Moors, Jews and Christians, as well as giving a guide to the food of the 17 autonomous regions of the country. As always with this writer the recipes are so easy to follow,and she gives the reader great confidence in making their own adaptations. I love this book, and thank you Amazon for offering it at such a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookery book I've had for ages!, 22 April 2012
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
My husband bought this as a birthday gift for me as we love Spanish food and I haven't stopped using it with delicious results! I love Claudia Roden as a cookery writer anyway and have been inspired by her Middle Eastern cookery books; she makes everything so straightforward and easy and her recipes can be followed without any amendments so ideal for everyone whatever the ability. Strongly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book and this comes from a Spaniard, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
My other half got me this book for Christmas. I am Spanish and probably someone will think what's the point for me to have books about food on my own country. Well, living in the UK for long, some times you forget some recipes and then flicking through this books makes me remember them or others not on them. It is nice to know what is the equivalent of some ingredients or their name in English.

I love the book, more for the fact that she does explain a bit of each regions history and influences in their food and where some ingredients come from and their differences, I know some other reviews criticised this particular part, but I think it is interesting to know a bit about the culture of the country when you're cooking some dish from them.

It may not have as many pictures as other books, but the recipes are brilliant, and maybe more to what normally you will eat in Spanish households. Spanish food is not only tapas, paella, sangria and the typical you seem to see in cooking tv programs and so on. I also have the Rick Stein book from last year's tv series, which is very good too, and then some others in Spanish such as 1080 Recetas de cocina (no pictures on it) and other very old passed by my mum. The recipe of the meatballs with almond sauce is a classic and I cannot see how someone can go wrong doing that, it is probably one of the 1st recipes my mum showed me when I was a kid.

There is also 2 styles of Spanish cooking at the moment, you got the typical and traditional cooking, recipes from Argüiñano, and so on, and then you got the new wave of chef, like Adriá (owner of El Bulli). I find this also in books, the ones with big fancy pictures and other where the recipes do all the job, personally I think this book is a balanced mix of both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spain at its best!, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
"this book took 5 years of research & it shows! recipes are very easy but this takes you to Spain in your armchair... I know that cake shop in Pontevedra so well Claudia!"

5.0 out of 5 stars My best for Spanish Traditional Cooking, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
Having watched a lot of TV programmes on Spanish Cooking, I decided to buy a good book. Having spent hours reading reviews and leafing through many books, I bought this one.
It is a great collection of traditional Spanish recipes. It is informative, well written and packed with great recipes. The instructions are clear and precise, and alternative ingredients listed. I like to read a little about the various traditioanl dishes and the book is bursting with fascinating information.
The recipes are all traditional and regional. A majority of the ingredients are freely available in the UK. In most cases, where the ingredient is unusual, common alternatives are suggested. I particularly like the strong emphesis on the cooking methods used for each dish, which gives me the confidence to try out alternative versions of each recipe.
If you are looking to a book on traditional, robust Spanish Cooking, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Food of Spain, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Food of Spain (Hardcover)
This is no doubt THE cookery book of the year! Claudia Roden is probably the most interesting food writer and the recipes she brings into one's own kitchen are absolute favorites. Though I love all her cookery books, I cannot stop cooking from this one at the moment and my family are really happy about it too!

The Food of Spain
The Food of Spain by Claudia Roden (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2011)
Used & New from: 13.67