Published on 2 Jan. 2011 by Stella (Ex Libris)

3.0 out of 5 stars EASY READING, BUT RATHER DRAWN OUT.
Published 6 months ago by L. Sims

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent and realistic historical romance set in an interesting, modern time, 2 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Wedding of the Season: Abandoned at the Altar (The Abandoned At The Altar Series) (Mass Market Paperback)
Based on the (quite horrible) cover and blurb I was expecting Wedding of the Season to be a regency romance, well imagine my shock when in the scene where the heroine is introduced to us she's driving a car and wearing trousers! Yes, I warn you: make no mistakes this historical romance is set in the beginning of the 20th century, around 1904: Beatrix is a modern young woman of 25: she wears trousers, drives a car and shock: she has even smoked a couple of cigarettes!

I don't think I've ever read a historical romance novel set around this time: it was either regency or World War historicals for me. It was an interesting epoque and if you want to imagine the athmosphere of the novel and what to expect, I would say picture an episode of Hercule Poirot (played by David Suchet): the women's independence and rebellion against the conservative roles and the whole "holidaying at a summer house with friends" reminded me of that.

What sets Wedding of the Season apart from the other historical romances I have read so far (besides the timeframe) is how realistic the difficulties and obstacles were: Will is an adventure seeking duke: he has dreamt of ancient civilisations since he was a boy and he's right where he always wanted to be: on an excavation in Egypt, he is passionate about archeology, history and discovery. Meanwhile Beatrix likes her life the way her ancestors have lived theirs: she wants to stay in England, get married and raise her children in the countryside where she grew up. Tradition, history and responsibility are important to her and this is where and how she wants to live her life. It seems their two dreams cannot be reconciled and I was amazed at the realistic description and approach Laura Lee Guhrke took when presenting their dilemma in detail through the novel.

Wedding of the Season is not the usual fairy tale historical romance where the alpha male scoundrel/gentleman hero sweeps the heroine off her feet (literally) and they live happily ever after. In this book the problems are realistic and the doubts and concerns of the hero and the heroine are real: one can easily understand both point of view and see that they want two very different things from life. (Although their camaraderie, love and friendship and all their memories from their shared childhood made this realisation even more bittersweet.)

I was looking forward to the ending of the novel with bated breath because I was curious to see how Laura Lee Guhrke would resolve souch a dilemma (since it is a historical romance I had no doubts there would be a happy ending): I was hoping that after portraying such a modern and progressive heroine she wouldn't ruin everything with having Beatrix abandon her idea of happiness and the life she wanted and sacrifice everything just to join Will on his way to realising his dreams. And I have to say overall I'm happy with the way she ended the story.

Verdict: Wedding of the Season is an intelligent and realistic historical romance set in an interesting time: at the dawn of women awakening to their freedom and claiming their independence. If you are tired of classical regency historicals or if you just want something else, try Wedding of the Season.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 8/10
Writing: 9/10
Cover: 4/10 (this cover not only does not give a good idea about what the story is about, it downright misleads the reader. This is not a regency romance but a more modern historical romance set at the beginning of the 20th century. And I just hate that blue and rose together, it looks ughly..ugh.)

The Abandoned at the Altar series:

Book #1 Wedding of the Season
Book#2 Scandal of the Year

5.0 out of 5 stars First book in the Abandoned at the Altar series, 12 Jan. 2011
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Wedding of the Season is the first book I read from this author. I'm seriously asking myself 'Why didn't I read her books before?'. (I'm already adding more of her books to my TBR pile) I devoured this book in no time. It was a real pleasure to read. This is the first book in the Abandoned at the Altar series and the 2nd book comes out in February.
I don't often pay attention to the dates mentioned in the books I'm reading, and after reading the first chapter I had to go back to the prologue to see when the story was taking place. I'm used to reading historical romances set in the 19th century, and when the heroine first appears driving a car and wearing Turkish trousers I was VERY surprised. So yes, this book is set at the very beginning of the 20th century, this was unexpected but it brought something new to the story.

Beatrix has been abandoned by her fiancé, Will, 2 weeks before the wedding. She hasn't even been abandoned for another woman...no, her fiancé left her to go to Egypt to search for Tutankhamen's tomb! She was of course devastated and 6 years later she finally decided she was over this heartbreak. Beatrix is going to get married this time to Aidan, another Duke. I really like Beatrix, from the very first scene, she makes quite an appearance, driving like a madwoman on the country road. She's changed a lot since Will left her, she's no longer this naive young girl pining for him. With the help of her cousin Julia she's become more independent and have more fun. She was trapped in a life society and her father chose for her, she thought she had to act like she did to be how they wanted her to be. She never really did what she wanted herself. When Will decides to come back in England after all these years in Egypt, the Beatrix he meets is not the one he left. She doesn't even help him when he fell from his horse who's been frightened by her car.

Will is a Duke but he doesn't feel he deserves his good fortune in life. He wants to do something in his life and doesn't want to be an idle Lord going from country parties to balls. He wants adventure. When he asked Beatrix to come with him to Egypt he never thought she would say no. After all these years, he's back in England to find a sponsor, but he is also aware that Beatrix is going to get married to another man in 2 months. I like Will, he is sweet and passionate. I understand why he needed to leave but he still loves her and he thinks she won't be happy with Aidan. Beatrix is afraid Will is back to ruin her wedding day. This engagement with Aidan was the sensible thing to do. Aidan is reliable, nice, very good looking, he's a Duke...but he is so different from Beatrix. Aidan's idea of a perfect honeymoon is a tour of his estates, while Beatrix dreams of going to Florence. She loves to drive her car and he finds it terrifying. He will be a good husband , but a very boring one.

The story flows very easily, I couldn't stop reading once I started. I loved the witty dialogs and the interactions between the hero/heroine. This book made me feel good and that's really something I appreciate. I was very happy with the ending, it didn't end exactly as I thought it would and I found it perfect. The last chapter was so romantic I had tears in my eyes. Will is a wonderful hero, I was surprised at how he turned out.

I'm very happy that the next book, Scandal of the Year is about a character we met in this book. I felt very bad for him and I think he deserves his HEA too. Wedding of the Season is a beautiful historical romance that will make you feel good inside. It's cute, smexy and funny, with characters so real they could be you. You don't want to miss this book.

I give Wedding of the Season 5 Bookies

3.0 out of 5 stars EASY READING, BUT RATHER DRAWN OUT., 27 Aug. 2014
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is the second book I've read by this author, I really enjoyed the first book this one not so much. Set in the early years of the twentieth century in England. Lady Beatrix had been engaged to Will he's the son of a duke. But when he got offered the chance of a lifetime to go on a archeological dig in Egypt he jumped at it. He wanted Beatrix to go with him , when she refused he called the wedding off. That happened six years ago, Beatrix eventually got over Will and the resulting scandal, and is now engaged to Aiden. Then without a word of warning Will returns from Egypt. Having spent all his inheritance he's hoping to ask Beatrix's relative for a loan.

This is a romance story about two people who claimed to love one another, but it always seemed to me that they loved their dream more. Will had always dreamed of going to Egypt to find King Tut's tomb. Beatrix dream was a bit more attainable, she wanted a husband and children and to share her life with the man she loved. Out of the two leads I preferred Beatrix, I found Will had no business expecting a young woman to follow him half way around the world while he blew all his inheritance, his father had died while he was away and he never even came back for the funeral, he had only returned home now when he needed to ask for a loan. He certainly hadn't returned to reclaim Beatrix, that was literally a byproduct of his trip home.

I was never quite convinced of this couples love for one another, and this story lacked passion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Chances, 8 May 2011
Mrs. Leanne A. Lingwood (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
My summary of the book - Beatrix has spent 6 years recovering from Will leaving her two weeks before their wedding and now he is back in her life when she has finally recaptured her life. It throws her off course and brings up feelings she buried and is confused. She is marrying someone else but reappearance of Will makes her question the reason why she is marrying.

Thoughts on the characters - Beatrix is a woman that has suffered losing her first love and spent years trying to get over him and finally managed it but when he comes back she is confused and all the old feelings come up. She is scared and doesn't like to take chances which makes her stuck in one place. Will is more fun loving and loves taking risks but he is also suffering from leaving Beatrix and he can't stand her marrying someone else but he needs to make sacrifices to prove to Beatrix that he can be responsible.

Thoughts on the writing style - Easy going writing which helps to keep you gripped and carry on reading without having to take a break.

Overall thoughts - This book is set in the early 1900s so not as historical as other books but it is nice reading about another era. It had some funny and passionate moments which makes it an enjoyable read.

Wedding of the Season: Abandoned at the Altar (The Abandoned At The Altar Series) by Laura Lee Guhrke (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jan. 2011)