5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Just About Perfect
Published 20 months ago by Dianne E. Socci-Tetro

3.0 out of 5 stars needed more content
I liked the authors' writing style but was disappointed that it finished when it did! Would have liked a more intricate plot.
Published 17 months ago by Alison Curley

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Just About Perfect, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: An English Bride in Scotland (The Highland Brides) (Mass Market Paperback)
Oh my. This book is classic Lynsay Sands. It is everything I love in my romances. It has the pre-requisite hot hunk in a kilt who is, of course a sex god, he is also thoughtful and kind and did I mention he was hot? Then we get to the heroine. At first glance, she seems as if she is going to be a useless, fumbling ditz, but that glace would be incorrect. Annabel may have been raised in a convent ready to become a nun, but when she needs saving, she generally saves herself and maybe even saves Ross!

The story briefly without spoilers - Annabel is the second daughter and has been confined to a nunnery since she was seven. Her sister Kate had been contracted to marry Ross, but for reasons you will see when you read the book, the deal falls through. Ross and Annabel marry, leave her parents house and all of a sudden someone is trying to either kill Annabel or to kidnap her.

The end of this book really surprised me because the person after Annabel was sure not one that I would have ever thought of. Clever move Ms. Sands!

Annabel is worried that by not being raised to be a Châtelaine that Ross will end up throwing her over when he finds out and while Annabel cannot lie about her upbringing, she sure can put off telling the truth with the best of them!
This book has all the elements that the typical Lynsay Sands book has, wonderfully written main characters generally strong but with some sort of flaw, funny and loveable secondary characters, an interesting mystery and most importantly a bit of a message to us women.

I think Ms Sands does a wonderful job in each of her standalone's of promoting the message that we women are perfect the way we are and that usually we allow others petty jealousies to shape our idea of ourselves. I don't particularly like the idea that most authors push the idea that it only takes a good man to force us to see ourselves as the perfect women we always have been, but this is a romance and certain ideas need to be followed. Ms Sands promotes these ideas in the best way possible and I love her writing because of it.

One of my favorite lines in this book-"Annabel began to soap herself. It seemed she would marry, be a wife to this unknown Scot, the mother of his children, and lady of his people...Lord save them all."

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Enjoyed It, 29 Jun. 2013
As always innocent funny works. Another brilliant read to add to my contemporary and historical Lynsay Sands collection. Please release A Mother's Way in ebook. Thanks very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved (nearly) everything about this!, 2 Aug. 2013
Ms. B. Richards "Hime B" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I did really enjoy this new offering from Ms. Sands and I'm eager for the next in the series.

Annabel is everything you could want in a heroine - brave, naive, innocent, irrepressible, strong. She is thown into a nunnery age 7, her parents paying half the price of what her dowry would have been if they had managed to marry her off in the future. She was unnecessary to them as they had her beautiful, older sister Kate to make a strong union. 12 long years later, Annabel is surprised when her mother appears at the abbey and whisks her away to save them all. Before the end of the day she is married to a huge, ruggedly handsome Scotsman. Ross McKay is taken with his bride as soon as he sets eyes on her and is eager to whisk her away from her uncaring family. He watches as Annabel beguiles not only him but his strong sentries and all those in his keep. So who is trying to do them harm? How can be control his feelings for her (especially on days when 'bedding' is banned by the church) and keep her safe when she is trying to be the lady he deserves?

It's a fun story that bounds along at a good rate without you feeling like it's being rushed. Its not straight forward enough to be boring but also not especially complicated. I'm sure as like me, most of you will quickly figure out who is behind the attacks on Annabel and her scrummy husband but it's still interesting to read it play out. A problem for me was the maths. If you count the ages and the years, they don't tally together. Details like that really bother me. The other main problem was the price; bit steep if you ask me, especially considering the quality of some of the books you can get for the kindle for free. If you don't like your romances with bed scenes and you haven't read a book by this author before, you should stick clear of Ms. Sands although for the rest of you they are better written than most and do actually have a place in the story. A good read all the same, if price and accuracy doesn't put you off, you probably will enjoy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 23 Nov. 2013
St (Rochester, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Lots of humour and characters you can get your teeth into. I will definitely look at more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to make you laugh along with the characters and cry...., 31 Oct. 2013
I have been reading books ever since I got my 1st Kindle and I cant get enough of them.
This book took me into another world, would recommend to anyone, you get absorbed in the story.
You never know what is going to happen next, this series has you hooked so expect lots of late nights reading.
Definitely not one series to miss.

3.0 out of 5 stars needed more content, 22 Sept. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the most memorable, 19 Jun. 2014
It wasn't quite as good as Lindsay Sands books normally are. It lacked some of the normally vivid detail and humid, apart from that it was still a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 18 Mar. 2014
This is the tale of Annabel and Ross. She is living in an abbey, when her parents suddenly call for her to marry Ross. He was supposed to marry her sister, but Annabel has to take her place instead.

I really loved this historical story. I have read many romances and plots can often be guessed ahead yet here I was genuinely enthralled and taken up with the developing story. In a rare pleasure, I was able to enjoy the journey the characters took without guessing ahead as to what happened.

The characters are fleshed out beautifully. Initially I was wary of this being a superficial mass romance tale full of cliches, but it is not. Ross is an alpha male with beta traits that make you want to hold him close and lick him all over ( or is that just me? ;) Annabel is a wonderfully sweet heroine who has to adjust rapidly to many significant changes in her life in just a brief time. I was cheering along inside when she stood up and let her temper show ( like a lady though!)

There were some wonderfully colorful secondary characters too, adding to the drama. This is a new author for me, but one I plan on reading more of, given the strengths of this book. Thank you for a great read, Lynsay Sands!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 27 Jan. 2014
OK book not brilliant but readable. It was ok but not exciting or sexy enough for me but it was ok

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet tale, 1 Sept. 2013
Annabel is a very likeable character and I thought the interplay between her and Ross was believable. There were moments towards the end where I thought the dialogue became a bit unimaginative but it didn't detract from the story as a whole.

An English Bride in Scotland (The Highland Brides)
An English Bride in Scotland (The Highland Brides) by Lynsay Sands (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Jun. 2013)