on 28 February 2014
I absolutely loved this installment. It cleared up some back questions and felt like the series was drawing to a close. There are some leftovers that may pave the way for another book but it did feel like an ending. I stretched it out for as long as possible and finally finished last night, was a weird edge of wanting to devour the book and trying to make it last. For die hard fans it does not disappoint!
If this is the first book you have been recommended in the series, STOP NOW, find the first I think it was the good the bad and the ugly ah no -
Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil--Ivy novella in the anthology Dates From Hell.
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
"Dirty Magic"--Mia short story in the anthology Hotter Than Hell.
For A Few Demons More
"The Bridges of Eden Park"-Kisten/Rachel short in the US mass market edition of For a Few Demons More
Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel--Robbie/Rachel/Pierce novella in the anthology Holidays are Hell
The Outlaw Demon Wails (retitled Where Demons Dare in the UK)
"The Bespelled"-Ceri/Al short story in the US mass market edition of The Outlaw Demon Wails
Also in anthology Demons, edited by John Skipp
White Witch, Black Curse
Ley Line Drifter--Bis/Jenks novella in anthology Unbound
Black Magic Sanction
Pale Demon
Blood Work -- Graphic Novel of Rachel's year interning under Ivy at the IS.
Hollows Insider -- Hollows world book. Full-color, illustrated "coffee table" book. (It's amazing)
A Perfect Blood
Harrison compilation -- Into the Woods (October 9, 2012)
Blood Crime (October 31, 2012) Graphic Novel of Rachel's year interning under Ivy at the IS.
Ever After (January 22, 2013)
The Undead Pool (February 25, 2014)
on 27 October 2014
It was with great trepidation that I finally made myself read this book as I really don't want this series to end. There's only one more book to come and then the hellacious ride through the Hollows with Rachel Morgan will be over. This series has spanned both human and demon realms and introduced characters that will stay large and proud in this readers memory and yet again with this book the aurthor surpasses all my expectations.
Rachel may have started out as a witch but these days she admits that she is a day walking demon and her talents ( not to mention soft heart!) have led her to providing security for the elf Trent . Their relationship has always been an unusual one but times are changing and it looks as if Trent might just be changing too but with so much hatred between the races it's going to be a bumpy ride. Something strange is happening and magic is out of control. The Goddess who the elves worship is splintering and someone is out to use her power in an all out war. The undead master vampires are not able to wake up and chaos is raining down on the streets which is causing widespread panic. Rachel needs help but her fellow Demons despise the Elven race and will happily sit back and watch their world collapse. Rachel has no choice though as the ley line she created is connecting her to a wild magic that's more dangerous then anything she has faced before. Just who is causing this and how can Rachel stop them ? Life , love and sanity are all on the line and time is running out as the Hollows begins to burn!
Wow just wow. This author always grabs my attention but this book just had so much going on. First I must mention the cover, Trent! Oh yes for the first time we get to see that tricky Elf and there's a very good reason why he shares the cover . This book will please many readers as there's a lot of Trent in it but fans of the Demon Al will probably be left screaming I'm afraid. Yes old friends appear loud and proud and without too many spoilers there's a chase that is a thrilling ride featuring all of them! Ive often had a problem truly understanding the symbiotic relationship between the living and the undead vampires in this series but in this book it's made plain just how important that fine balance is. There's more than one protagonist for Rachel to take on and we are finally getting answers about what really happened between the Demons and Elves and truthfully it's not a pretty picture. Their animosity has crippled both races and now it looks as if Rachel is well and truly slap bang in the middle of it. Can that girl ever catch a break?
So well written that I am in awe. I didn't want to miss a single word and even though I usually seem to inhale books at rapid speed with this I just had to take my time and enjoy every single second. This book has so much happening and I just don't know how the series will end. This author has ripped her readers hearts apart in the past and I'm concerned that she might do it one more time. It's starting to look as if there's a happy ending for many of these well loved characters but with the Elves and Demons still at each other's throats anything can happen!
on 4 March 2014
The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison

Although much of this book centers on what is happening to Cincinnati's various Vampire populations, the rest of it is about the long anticipated story of Rachel and Trent. There is so much happening to the humans as well as the Vamp, Demon and Elvin population that at times it can be a little stressful. That stress can hit hard especially when Ms Harrison tries to `teach' us too much stuff at one time.

This book can be a bit confusing at times, because there is so much action of the `hurry up and wait' variety. However once you get to the 50% point things take off on a full gallop. Once I got to that point, I could not for the life of me put this book down.

The character growth is amazing in this novel. The emotions are raw and honest between all of the characters that you just want to weep at times. Old friends (?) or enemies depending on how you want to look at it will seem to be permanently taken out of the last book, but I have my doubts.

I cannot say too much more for fear that I will be giving away the best part of this book...I will just say that this was what I consider to be the best book yet. I am deeply troubled that we only have one book left to this series and I am eagerly looking forward as to how Ms Harrison is going to tie everything up and keep her readers happy!*ARC supplied by publisher for reviewing purposes*
on 7 March 2014
How can I describe without spoilers.... I cannot say what I yearn to say, except... again Kim ROCKS it... as for the end aaaahhhh!!!
on 8 February 2015
This is the twelfth book in the Kim/Harrison/Rachel Morgan/Hollows series of books. The series is about a witch, vampire and pixie who do battle to defend Cincinnati from various non-human baddies in an alternative universe where people have discovered the existence of these otherworldly things on Earth.

In this book, Morgan and her posse are on the hunt for a group of people who are using ley lines to wipe out the master vampires, causing "issues" in Cincinnati in the process.

The book wasn't a bad. It rattled along at a decent lick, and had all the usual things that you'd expect from the series. My grumble would be over the fact that they're starting to feel a bit samey, in as much as Morgan tends to wander round being clueless and screwing things up before being brave and saving the day in all the books.

The other things I'd say are:

1) Read the series in order, the books will make more sense that way (it feels like you've bumped into a private conversation sometimes if you don't).

2) I wonder if the primary target for the books are women.

3) The description of guys has made me aware of the descriptions of women might be sexist in books that I've read with a male protagonist. I swear I'll scream if I read another book about sex with guys who have washboard abs any time soon.
on 19 April 2014
Ok, I'll try not to spoil it but darn is it hard to contain the excitement.

First of all, if you've not read all the previous novels, please be aware this is the latest in a sequence of novels and you will be totally lost if you don't read the other books. So, friendly warning aside, the last book left me feeling a bit high and dry at the end there. The sexual tension, and the general humor of the final scenes between the characters left me wanting more, as in right then and there. Sadly I had to wait, but luckily not too long since I found this series rather late.

This picks up as most of the others books do, starting on a low note and gradually working it's way towards the really fun stuff. This was enjoyable and yet again left me wanting more. We see some characters re introduced which help to stir up emotions, the tension between Rachel and Trent is still there and... well just read it and see :)

There are also some surprises in the story which I'm sure will be elaborated on in future books (looking forward to it!). Generally, another great book, couldn't put it down and again I'm left wanting more.
on 19 March 2015
I wanted to give this novel 5*, I really did. Having loved her Hollows series, I was hoping that this would not be a mere exercise in wrapping up the characters. It wasn’t. Somewhat confusing in places and with an overly complex plot, this last instalment in the series contained a definite story line, which was why I gave it the star rating I did.

What prevented me from giving it an all-out thumbs up was the nature of that story. It seemed to step outside what I had come to believe as acceptable for this series. A Goddess and her mystics was just a tad too far, and I wondered if, in trying not to do a Charlaine Harris (of Southern Vampire/True Blood fame) dismal last-in-series book of the mere tying up of loose ends, the author took it to the other extreme. I would have perhaps preferred another way of creating the necessary tension and plot line in which the wrap-up could have taken place.

Still, it was nice to revisit Rachel and the gang, and I did enjoy it, in spite of skimming some parts.

I felt the conclusion was a fitting end to what has been an excellent series.
on 25 February 2014
This book had landed in my kindle at 2.30am this morning, or at least it was there when I woke up at that hour and checked my emails to see it had arrived. Then and there I pondered 'do I start now or do I leave it?'.
Well, the book won and sleep was but a distant memory.
Soooo, what did I think?
I think, now that I have spent all morning and most of the dayreading it, that this is the best book in this series. I love it, in fact, now I have finished I want to start it all over again!
I could spoil it for you with a synopsis but hey, that's not how I roll, I want you to enjoy for yourself this brilliantly crafted story, to pretend when you are 90% done that you still have hours ahead of you, because I did not want this one to end, it was a triumph.
If you have not read this series and are wondering if you should, heed this advice - either take a couple of weeks off work or deal with the fact that you may not sleep for a while, and get on it! This story goes from strength to strength and is an utter pleasure to read. Fabulous!
on 17 June 2014
I love Kim Harrison she is a fantastic writer and im already waiting with bated breath for the next book. My only critisim is that it similar to the previous book fighting demons, something wrong with her leyline etc But still an exellent read and if you are a fan of Rachel Morgan (and you should be) I highly recommend this book.
on 6 March 2014
Just brilliant. I am so sad that this is the last book in the series. But wow what a book! Loved it. Just brilliant writing. I will have too read all the books again this series is unique wonderful and finishes with the knowledge that it was worth every single penny. Thank you Kim x