1.0 out of 5 stars Holes in the plot a mile wide, 30 Aug 2011
Like the previous reviewer, I was unable to finish this book. The plot was entirely unbelievable and there were so many historical inaccuracies that I couldn't even get as far as half way before giving up. Don't waste your time or money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 31 May 2011
This review is from: A Tale of Two Lovers (Mass Market Paperback)
Someone gave me Maya Rodale's debut novel Heir and Spare which, in my opinion, was so badly written I couldn't believe a publisher had accepted it. It was full of American colloquilisms -- heroines did not say "Oh please" in 1820's - but I suppose this is forgiveable as she is writing mainly for American audiences. But the cardboard characters and the risible plot did not make me warm to her. However I decided to give her another chance with A Tale of Two Lovers and oh, I wish I hadn't. A society lady writing an anonymous gossip column I can just believe but then she sees the ton's greatest rake kissing another man. Well actually she assumes - correctly - the "man" is an actress dressed as her latest part in a play. The gossip columnist writes this description in her gossip column then poses the question that he might be gay. The rake is promptly ostracised because everyone now believes, despite years of his romances with hundreds of women scandalising all of them, that he is homosexual. I couldn't finish this and sent the book to a charity shop. I won't read any more of this author's books.

A Tale of Two Lovers
A Tale of Two Lovers by Maya Rodale (Mass Market Paperback - 1 May 2011)
6.79