5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it Now!
Published on 2 Feb. 2009 by T. Qurashi

3.0 out of 5 stars A good tool, but doesn't teach boundaries
Published on 17 Feb. 2010 by Karolinka

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it Now!, 2 Feb. 2009
T. Qurashi (Pakistan) - See all my reviews
After many years of terrible guilt and extreme difficulties with a our six year old son, things are on the mend after reading this book. Not many child psychologist or psychiatrists seem to know how to handle a child that suffers from violent rages that can harm both himself and his family and siblings. As Dr. Ross W. Green points out, these violent outbursts are often seen as a result of "not enough dicipline" or balamed by others on bad parenting. We have two older children that were really much easier to handle, so we were lucky that we had examples of children who were well behaved who had already been brought up in our home. However for several years we were unable to make any real progress until we read this book. The great gift of this book is to make you realise that it is not his fault nor yours as a parent that he or she is the way they are. It allowed me to love and be gentle with my son again even when he is having his(now rather infrequent)rages. It gives you practical advice on how to cope and improve things. The difference in our lives and in our home has been quite dramatic. Go and buy this book now, it would be money well spent even if it cost ten times the price! And I would also like to thank Dr.Green for giving families like mine new hope, and a bettter life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! this book has transformed my child's life and family life., 25 Sept. 2006
Mrs. C. Gulliver (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
If you have a child who seems to know the right buttons to press to make you cross. A child who seems inflexible in their thinking, easily frustrated and prone to explosive incidents (tantrums). Read on!

I started reading The Explosive Child book about six weeks ago, during the school summer holiday. My youngest daughter is five, and was frequently testing the patience of everyone around her. Exploding over seemingly trivial incidents, often daily.

Ross Greene explains in the opening chapters that the child does not deliberately set out to cause angry scenes, they just cannot help being inflexible. Before I accepted this statement, I felt sure my daughter said things just to annoy me. It took me a day or two to accept this statement.

Then I was ready for the next stage, observing my child and watching out for the warning signs of a pending explosive situation. Now I had "let go" of the idea that she was winding me up on purpose, I was calm and able to identify the main triggers for an explosion. Also I discovered that I could calm her down and avoid a conflict from occuring. Fantastic! Whoopee!!!

I am only half way through the book, (chapters 8 to 14 still to read) having read and digested Ross Greene's views, advice and manangement techniques thus far. I am pleased to say this book has transformed her life, I really enjoy my time with her as she is so much calmer, without me getting angry in response to her inflexibility. So what if she stays in the bath playing 10 minutes longer that I would previously have liked? She goes to bed calm and happy (and I'm calm too!!!!)

I have shared my understanding and the techniques with the rest of the family, and her school. Now we all have a consistent approach towards her, can spot potential triggers and act accordingly. I was sceptical that his approach would work as it seems so radically different from other positive parenting methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, common sense guide at last!, 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children (Paperback)
This book is so straight forward and simple to understand and follow. There is no psycho-babble to confuse the real issues. There were many light bulb moments where I thought "this is just common sense so why didn't I try this before?" This book is not a quick fix, it takes commitment and consistency but it really does work. Also it explains things from the child's, parent's and teacher's perspective, this helps to stop that non productive blame game. I have used the suggestions and found that as long as I followed the steps properly it worked with my explosive child and some long standing explosive issues have been defused and sorted to the relief of both parties. I cannot recommend this book highly enough and have already done so to others who have found it has helped them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 12 Jun. 2011
One of the best books to deal with challenging behaviour.
Totally a must for the bookshelf of parents with autistic children.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Explosive Child, 22 July 2010
Mrs. S. J. Honey "Selina Honey" (Jersey Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
A fantastic book! The Explosive Child gives practical advice and guidance on how to deal with the most difficult of situations with children. Also the methods explored in the book can be used with any child, not just those who are easily frustrated. As a mother of four I would recommend it to anyone who has children, and I only wish I'd had this book twenty years ago when my eldest child was young.The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children

3.0 out of 5 stars A good tool, but doesn't teach boundaries, 17 Feb. 2010
I have tried very hard to use this approach and other similar approaches described in other positive parenting guides (such as Raising your Spirited Child). I have come to the conclusion that these cannot be used entirely on their own, but that occasionally boundaries have to be firmly established. Endlessly listening, negotiating, and adapting our lives to accomodate the so-called "needs" of our explosive child, left my husband and I with a little monster (four and a half year old boy) who ruled the roost, was constantly rude and used screaming fits to manipulate us.
After months and months of frustration, I decided that unadulterated positive parenting wasn't enough, and bought a book called "Backtalk" which teaches parents how to impose boundaries and discipline children who are rude. Within two weeks, our lives had changed for the better. Our 4 year old boy stopped screaming (because if he did I walked out of the room after saying "I will not be shouted at") and started realising that treats and privileges were just that, privileges. He no longer has a dreadful sense of entitlement and is a much more normal child, able to take no for an answer. I don't agree that explosive children tend to have authoritarian parents. We never were.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, 23 Sept. 2013
Bought because grandaughter has been having trouble controlling her temper. She's a tall 8 year old and when she exploded she would often lash out. And we were getting extremely worried about her behaviour. We thought we had tried everything - time out, naughty step, reward, punishment, charts etc etc etc!

But almost as soon as we started using the techniques, clearly explained and with lots of examples, in this book, we saw a change. She still loses her temper occasionally, don't we all! But she is now learning to control it, without exploding. This makes her a much happier child, and her younger sister and the rest of the family much, much happier too.

If you are having problems with a child with an explosive temper - buy this book, understand your child's behaviour and learn how to deal with it effectively!

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is ok, company was very quick in ..., 5 Sept. 2014
This book is ok, company was very quick in sending it and well packaged. This content of this book requires a lot of hard work from the parents, parents with this type of child will be putting in a lot of work already and this book recommends more god if this will work for you the child will need to cooperate as well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Mar. 2014
Wonderful book. Has been so helpful in dealing with our 4 year old. Have had to adapt some of the strategies to his age, but the core principles are great. Can't recommend enough. Shared with his teachers who are also seeing improvements using this approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must have!, 24 Dec. 2012
This publication is one of the most important books I have ever purchased! If you have contact, as a parent, guardian, teacher or therapist with 'explosive kids', this book will make a positive impact. Highly recommended.