5.0 out of 5 stars A cut above...
This really is a cut above your average romantic story,it was a beautifully observed tale of the developing relationship between two very believable characters. The only thing that let it down was the rather rushed and typically happy ending. Overall, it was a very enjoyable book...
Published on 22 July 2012 by Carol G

3.0 out of 5 stars quite nice and sweet
Published on 5 Oct. 2012 by allana

5.0 out of 5 stars A cut above..., 22 July 2012
This review is from: How the Marquess Was Won: Pennyroyal Green Series (Mass Market Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 17 Aug. 2012
This is the best Regency novel I have read so far! The hero and heroine are really meant for each other and you can feel this all the way! She is clever and witty and he is really The Knight in Shining Armor! I enjoyed it immensely and laughed a great deal too!

5.0 out of 5 stars For me, one of the best of the series, 24 April 2015
I so enjoyed this book. I have read several reviews which state that the second half of the book didn't appeal, and felt rushed. I really didn't get that impression. At the beginning, it was fascinating to watch Jules and Phoebe flirt, banter, enjoy one another's company and start to fall in love. There was a lot of witty humour, but the focus was on the difference in social classes and expectations in that period. Even as I was enjoying it, I felt as though I was watching an accident which was inevitably going to happen. From early in the book, when Lisbeth, without any malice, made plain her view of where Phoebe fitted into the house party, I felt on edge. Phoebe was pushing the boundaries with Jules, and he encouraged her without any thought of having a permanent relationship with her. He expected to marry someone of his class - and this in a time when breeding, background and property were so very important to the upper echelons of society. It wasn't even the usual reason, marrying to oblige his family. It was just what he expected of himself. I wanted to shout to Phoebe to please be careful!

When she was invited to London, I was totally caught up in the disaster rushing towards her. This was the bored idle rich and titled at play, without a thought of what their actions would do to another human being - because to them, she was so beneath their dignity that they didn't consider her feelings at all, and it was just a game to them. I was so caught up in it that I couldn't put the book down - Phoebe was unaware that she was courting disaster when you knew she ought to have recognised what was happening around her, and she was swept along, basking in the reflected glory without once questioning WHY this was happening to her.

The tying up of loose ends also made me laugh, because I would never have guessed at the arbiter of Jules' misfortune - and everyone who deserved it got their comeuppance.

I have been reading these books in order, and I have enjoyed all of them but this one just struck a note with me. I hope all the remaining ones are equally good.

4.0 out of 5 stars How JAL won this reader, 11 Feb. 2015
This is the 5th book in a row I have read by this author and WOW! Another hit from Julie Anne Long. Her writing is so good.

I loved how this story unfolded and the pace at which it happened. I laughed out loud so many times, but that has happened in each of the Julie Anne Long books I have read so far.

I felt immense pleasure reading this novel. It is very funny, with the hero, Julian who is a Marquess, setting the trends in the same manner as young TV and movie stars do today. It is also very romantic and the sexual tension builds to a crescendo. Julie Anne Long sure knows how to write a good “build-up.” Makes for a riveting read.

This book is not 5 star for me because
- I did not enjoy watching Phoebe and Julian deceive (whether intentional or not) the heiress Julian is courting during a house party.
- I felt the big love scene/sex scene was out of place somehow. I just have to accept Phoebe in particular was overcome by emotion.

Despite this, and a lot of silly moments (that I heartily laughed at), I really liked this novel.

I enjoyed watching Julian suffer while trying to make the right choices. He deserved what he got from the cat. I loved everything about Phoebe, (except maybe that sex-scene I referred to that she instigated). But this is a minor flaw in what I thought was an otherwise wonderful heroine.

4.0 out of 5 stars The saga continues, 19 Jun. 2014
Not her best in the series, for this you must read What I did for a duke. However it is still highly enjoyable as the writer is really gifted. A rare thing for this genre and I am always left anticipating her next book of the series. The book does stand alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but......., 2 Sept. 2012
Spoilers alert....

Ok I actually enjoyed this book untill chapter 18.
The whole part to London and being the coop of a joke didn't play out well for me, especially the ending!!!
The whole duel thing that doesn't happen because a apology was made! The way the only love scene between the characters was written!
How she leaves him (which I expected him to go after her) (which he doesn't)
How she returns because he's shot!!!!
It felt rushed & rubbish
The first 18 chapters had me hooked to the point I actually growled when I had to put it down! It had me laughing, worried and intrested the way a book should make you feel!

It just didn't ring true for me after chapter 18.
Shame otherwise it's an ok read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hogwarts, 19 Feb. 2013
Another great book. j.a.l. has done it again great descriptive writing and another captivating story.I hope though j.a.l. Will get round to writing Lyon and Olivia's love story as the snippets so far are very promising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this author, 29 April 2015
Julie Anne Long is an excellent writer. I love her characters and humour within the developing relationships. I am working my way through the series. This book was another excellent read. DD

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 17 April 2015
I really enjoyed this book, I have enjoyed reading all of J A Long' s book's. The characterisation and storyline is always great, as is the clever dialogue.

3.0 out of 5 stars quite nice and sweet, 5 Oct. 2012
possible spoiler!!!!i really did enjoy this read not blown away but a sweet sort of some stomach clenching experience .both characters are real and believable what just lets it down for me is that throughout the story right up to the end you feel as if the hero just wants her for a mistress you also feel many time that he is slightly attracted to the pretty one in the story i find this a bit of a mood killer.up to the end he still thinks of just putting her up ?also very little in terms of them together as it all happens at the end of the book a little too late and leaves one wishing for more romance...and some scenes i found immature and annoying ,one being the waltz the hero falling and throwing the girl in a spin ,absolutely juvenile, hated that part, especially when everyone mimicked it and other silly things that just did not fit in a regency ,as if lords would take cats to gaming halls ,it took away from the regency and romance. finally i have read quite a few where the girl is not very attractive yet is chosen over stunningly beautiful ones because of her intelligence kindness etc....what i do not get in all these stories is why is the guy always and without fail stunningly gorgeous??????? does the 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'not apply to males ever ???and only if they are dead gorgeous do they validate unattractive females????

How the Marquess Was Won: Pennyroyal Green Series
How the Marquess Was Won: Pennyroyal Green Series by Julie Anne Long (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Jan. 2012)