5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Followers of Turner's Attolia series will have wondered what became of young Sophos, the heir to Sounis' throne, whose mysterious disappearance was mentioned in books but never resolved. A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS will answer all their questions, while offering even more.

Published on 28 Mar. 2010 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars a disappointment
This was a bit of a disappointment, I hate to say. I think I was expecting so much, after the brilliance of the previous book, that I kind of put it on a pedestal without even starting it.

Published on 26 May 2011 by Ali

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 28 Mar. 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Never interested in ruling or the skills of leadership, Sophos has grudgingly followed his tutors' lessons and then lost himself in the books he prefers. But when his family is attacked and he himself kidnapped and sold as a slave, he finds himself questioning exactly what sort of man he wants to be. Political schemes abound, from the quarreling barons of Sounis to the unscrupulous interest of the Medes, all of whom want to take control of Sophos in their own version of slavery.

But who can Sophos turn to for help, when he's unsure he can even trust his old friend, Gen, now King of Attolia?

A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS offers all the political intrigue and clever plotting of the previous Attolia books, and fans will easily devour it in one sitting. Turner's quick pacing and twisting storylines keep readers on their toes and make the book often impossible to put down.

While Sophos is perhaps not as intriguing a main character as Eugendies, he has more to him than even he initially suspects, and by the end proves himself worthy of having a book devoted to him. The transitions between his first-person narration and the more distant third-person portions of the book felt somewhat awkward, but as you get sucked into the story, that's easy to forgive.

Recommended to all who enjoy fantasy, though readers will get the most out of this book if they read the previous three titles in THE QUEEN'S THIEF series first.

Reviewed by: Lynn Crow

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Aug. 2011
Beautiful book - can't wait for the next in the series. The author has done such a good job of these books (this one being the fourth in the series). Cleverly and well written, fast paced but such attention to detail. And so many things revealed at the end, things you didn't even realise needed revealing....

Much better than many people believe YA fiction to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Politics, wars, intregue and the occasional god!, 1 Feb. 2014
Ms. Ann L. Primmer "watergypsy" (UK canal system) - See all my reviews
As with the rest of the series, a fantastically twisty adventure which keeps you guessing until the end, makes me glad I don't live in a world where the gods could take a personal interest in my life!

3.0 out of 5 stars a disappointment, 26 May 2011
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews

Most of the book, apart from a section in the middle, is written almost as if it was a letter or as if it was being retold as a story. This left the character interaction lacking and left me wondering who half of the characters were. A lot of the characters merged into one as they had no distinct personalities.

This is the story of Sophos, a character we haven't seen since the very first book. I didn't much like him there and the same applies for this novel. That is not to say I dislike him as a character, it's more that I find him terribly bland. He really does nothing for me.
Eugenides makes an occasional appearance but he his aloof and distant through most of them until Sophos very amusingly cuts him down to size.

The start of the novel was great, Sophos working as a slave and quite happy doing that, for the time being. Sophos escapes, is recaptured and then, well, politics take over. And I don't mean fun and dirty politics but boring politics. The speeches, the plans for countries, the plans for Gen to acquire more power. And it is cleverly done, I'm not saying it's not, with Eugenides being the controlling factor while hardly being in the novel but I just felt like it lacked something.

The ending did make up for the lacklustre middle, and from page 260 or so onwards, I was hooked. But even so, there are a bunch of unanswered questions. And I like answers.

It's a strange book which may get clearer on a second reading, with more thinking, and I will read it again but just not at the moment.

I'm an emotional reader and I didn't connect to this emotionally and that, ultimately, was the problem.

A Conspiracy of Kings (Thief of Eddis)
A Conspiracy of Kings (Thief of Eddis) by Megan Whalen Turner (Paperback - 5 Sept. 2011)