4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Book In The Dark Days Series
Burn The Night is the sixth and last book in the Dark Days series by Jocelynn Drake and follows Mira a Nightwalker and her battle with the Naturi. If you haven't read the previous books you really need to or this book will not make sense to you. If you haven't read the earlier books I suggest that you do not read this review as it will contain spoilers.

The...
Published on 24 July 2011 by Claire's Book Corner

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Days are over.
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by The Demon Librarian

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Days are over., 25 Aug 2011
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Burn the Night: The Final Dark Days Novel (Harper Voyager Urban Fantasy) (Mass Market Paperback)
I wasn't keen on the constant point of view changes in this one, but I sort of understood the need for it. It's a sad fact to say that I much preferred being in Nyx's head than Mira's. This series has a solid story, but I have never been overly enamoured with any of the characters; Mira in particular. Her heart was usually in the right place, but...I don't know. I just can't say that I liked her all that much.

The first five books I read back to back, and the will-they-won't-they subplot was enough to keep me turning the pages. This time, after a yearlong break, I'm afraid to say absence didn't make my heart grow any fonder towards these characters. I have been reading this and putting it aside for a couple of weeks now because it just wasn't holding my attention, but since it's the last one in the series I felt compelled to read it.

Overall I'm not sure I would recommend this series unless you like quite dark, violent and serious urban fantasies. Myself, I much prefer there to be some humour in my UF to balance it all out.

Oh, and that cover is awful. I could have drawn better myself. It's nearly as bad as the watch-Mira-eat-Danaus'-face cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Book In The Dark Days Series, 24 July 2011

The opening of the book threw me a little bit as it started from the viewpoint of Nyx the sister of Aurora the Naturi queen, my initial reaction was I am not going to like this but in fact it was really good reading from another's viewpoint. The story began with Nyx capturing Rowe the queens ex consort, who in the last book had opened the gate into our world to let Aurora and the rest of the Naturi through. Nyx was to take Rowe to her other sister Cynnia as they were planning a war against Aurora. A few chapters in and the viewpoint changes to Mira's. Mira is now a coven Elder and she and Danaus the Nightwalker hunter are now lovers. They are both living a life of peace at the moment wondering when it will shatter and the Great War with the Naturi will begin.

I have found in the past that the last book in a series can be disappointing and for me this book was no exception. I absolutely adored the previous five books by Ms. Drake but I found this book slow going even though there was three storylines happening. It only picked up speed in the last quarter of the book when everything seemed rushed especially the scene that had taken five books to lead up to. My other concern with the book was the relationship with Mira and Danaus. It was only in book five that Danaus and Mira got together so we had a big teasing build up to it and I missed that in this book of will they won't they. I also didn't like how Mira was now treating Danuas by protecting him and ordering him about. I understand that her powers have grown and she loves him and wants to protect him but he is a hunter who is part Bori. It was only a couple of books ago that they were trying to kill each other and I missed that tension between them. I would like to give this book three and a half stars but I will round it up to four just because the other five books are amazing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken on the iphone kindle app, 1 July 2011
Unable to read it on the iphone kindle app as the thing appears to skip the top line of every page (doesn't matter what font, either). Only with this one book - had a different book arrive at the same time and that one is fine. I have already sent a complaint to amazon, but thought I'd put a note here for people to be wary. I'll update with a new review or a comment to this if and when it is fixed.

Burn the Night: The Final Dark Days Novel (Harper Voyager Urban Fantasy)
Burn the Night: The Final Dark Days Novel (Harper Voyager Urban Fantasy) by Jocelynn Drake (Mass Market Paperback - 5 July 2011)
4.92