5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!
*4.5 stars*

Utterly delicious, like a fabulous chocolate truffle. I haven't laughed so much over a book in a very long time!

Published on 25 July 2011 by Stephanie Samphire

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete
It is understandable for a good book to have a second, third, fourth part... but each book must have the independence to work on its own upto a point. In this case, the warm-up of the plot happens at the very end. It's a starter that leaves you just as hungry as you were before.
Published 8 months ago by Turtle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: The Mysterious Howling (Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place) (Hardcover)
*4.5 stars*

I was a little uncertain at first about whether the extremely-knowing narrative voice might become a little grating over time - but I was totally wrong about that. A few chapters into the book, I was giggling uncontrollably. Then midway through, I had a sudden emotional clench when something scary happened - and I realized to my shock just HOW emotionally attached I had become to the adorably wolfy Incorrigibles along the way. I cared quite desperately about them and their welfare by the end, even as I continued to laugh at the wonderful humor.

My only very small complaint about the book is that I really wish there had been more resolution of at least one of the storylines at the end of this first book in the series...but that just makes me even more eager to read Book 2 (which is already out, hooray) straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 17 May 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having graduated a year early from the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, fifteen-year-old Penelope Lumley is off to interview for a governess position at Ashton Place. After a rushed meeting with Lady Constance, Penelope is shocked to discover three dirty, wild-haired children howling in the stables.

Much to his bride of six month's consternation, Lord Ashton discovered the feral group while hunting the woods of his vast estate and decided to keep them. Now, Penelope must draw upon every ounce of ingenuity and skill at her disposal in order to civilize the incorrigible trio.

Successful teen author Maryrose Wood makes her middle-grade debut with a charming, lighthearted Victorian mystery featuring a heroine brimming with intelligent gumption and a supporting cast that is (respectively) endearing, humorous, fluttery, pompous, and downright vexing. By juxtaposing the historical circumstances and details with examples from contemporary life, Ms. Wood gives young readers easily identifiable touchstones for reference.

All in all, a winning combo that has me eagerly anticipating the next installment.

Reviewed by: Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for second book!, 30 Jun 2011
My 10 year old daughter loved this book and I have to admit I had a read of it too. She compared it to a cross between the Series of Unfortunate Events books and a Nanny McPhee film. Nice opportunities in the book to improve your knowledge of some obscure and not so obscure words. She wants the second book now but will have to wait for it to come out in paperback!

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, 29 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars The Incorrigble children of Ashton place, 2 Jan 2014
This book is amazing I was A little unsure at first I must admit but after four chapters I couldn't understand why I haven't read that book and all of the rest of the books concerning miss Penople Lumly and Alexzander, Berwolf and Casopiea
Absolute five star :D

5.0 out of 5 stars such a surprise, 15 Dec 2013
hugh (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a great book old fashioned and modern at the same time. The characters are straight out of regency and mary poppins style stories but with a more modern humour, almost a commentary on these historical tales. would recommend to anyone, also the audio performances of these are fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tale, 28 Nov 2013
I can recommend this book - even though I am an adult! In fact I liked it so much I bought the rest of the series and was disappointed. There are the odd American influences - cents were not around in Victorian England. I love the sayings and the way the English language is explained.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lumawoooooo, 21 Nov 2013
Great book! Miss Penelope Lumley is a lovely governess even at her young age. I love the children, they're fabulous despite their strange ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and fun, 25 Dec 2012
I was looking up some books for a customer at work and ended up checking amazon for something, I noticed this in the 'recommended' bit underneath. When I was finished what I was doing I went back to have a look. The tile was the first thing to catch my attention as it's very unusual. Reading the synopsis made me think a little bit of Lemony Snicket (which I love) sort of crossed with children's adventure stories like Chris Mould's Wickedly Weird series (again which I love). So I looked it up on our library system and found it in one of the branches and requested it.
The storyline sounded silly enough to be fun. so I settled down with it to start reading.
Miss Penelope Lumley was brought up in the school for 'Poor Bright Females' and has graduated a year ahead of her class, we meet her as she is setting off, just 15 years old on her way to her first ever job interview as a governess. She comes across as very sensible and instantly likeable. Within the first few pages I was prepared to find out more about this lady.
She travels to a posh estate house called Ashton Place dreaming of being the perfect governess to happy, bright children with lots of animals and they'd have all sorts of wonderful learning experiences, but little does she know that the children are not at all what she is expecting.
Lady Constance runs the house and is the one to hire Penelope, she is a typical stately woman, young but married into wealth. Her husband is hardly ever around and they don't seem to have a good relationship for fairly newly weds but it adds to the mystery of the book. Lady Constance made me laugh quite a lot as she is so melodramatic.
The children act like wolves, found in the woods they were dragged back to the house, but Penelope doesn't run off, she is determined to give them a proper life and make them act like proper children.
Alexander is the eldest, then Beowulf and Cassiopeia (named by Lord Constance) they are fun and exciting to read about and I think kids will love their adventures. All mischievous yet intelligent they must adapt to high social life quite quickly.
I really enjoyed this book and read it quite quickly, the characters really come to life off the page and I found myself giggling quite a few times.
There are quite a few mysteries in this book, some of which are solved and others which lead you on and I hope will be solved in the next parts.
Written for Middle Grade/Children this book has fun and loveable characters that children will surely enjoy reading about. Although there is some more difficult language in it that they may need help understanding but only rarely, overall it's written in a way that flows nicely and keeps the reader interested.
I was glad I gave this a try and really enjoyed it. Quick and charming read, I hope I can get hold of book 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mysterious Howling, 31 Mar 2014
Penelope Lumley might have been the star pupil at the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females but nothing has prepared her for working as a governess at Ashton Place. Instead of regular though aristocratic pupils, Penelope finds herself in charge of three feral children who, having been raised by wolves, where discovered by Lord Ashton and brought into his home. The Mysterious Howling is a great Victorian mystery in which Penelope seeks to both help and educate her wild young charges as well as unravel the mystery of their origins. There’s plenty of humour, intrigue and historical detail to keep readers entertained – it’s only a shame that The Mysterious Howling wasn’t a longer book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb647d120)

The Mysterious Howling (Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place)
The Mysterious Howling (Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place) by Maryrose Wood (Hardcover - 23 Feb 2010)
10.15