4.0 out of 5 stars A brutally honest view on power play
An interesting read, especially good in explaining misunderstandings around this 'loaded' concept of power and influence within you, within a team or organization. I would certainly recommend Jefffrey Pfeffer's excellent article on 'Power Play' (HBR July 2010) to get a good overview on this topic.

Here I liked Jeffrey Pfeffer's ability to point out the...
Published on 7 Dec 2011 by Caufrier Frederic

3.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting concepts but turgid
Published 15 months ago by Jonathan Curry

4.0 out of 5 stars Persuasive argument for the power of power in your workplace and your life, 15 July 2011
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Power: Why Some People Have It - and Others Don't (Hardcover)
If power corrupts, why does everyone lust after it and worship those who have it? Power - used wisely - can keep you healthy, make you rich and let you achieve great things for humanity. Jeffrey Pfeffer, a professor of organizational behavior, explains why seeking power is in your best interest and shows you how to attain power and keep it. He debunks the objections you usually hear from the powerless and the powerful alike. He lays out a step-by-step guide on how to start building your power, what you'll need and, most important, what it'll cost you to achieve. getAbstract recommends Pfeffer's somewhat-less-than-Machiavellian, but still useful, book to anyone who ever has felt powerless in work or in life and wants to power up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting concepts but turgid, 19 Jun 2013
Jonathan Curry (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
I am struggling to finish this. There are a few interesting concepts in the book and some ideas that at least make me think. But I do feel I am chewing my way through the book. The writing style is not for me and I do feel that things are being padded to make the page numbers up. Personally I would have prefered better editing and a larger font size if they had a page quota to meet. Recently ready books by both Pink and Cialdini and would give them much higher ratings.

Power: Why Some People Have It - and Others Don't
Power: Why Some People Have It - and Others Don't by Jeffrey Pfeffer (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2010)
14.39