Published on 31 July 2010 by ROROBLU'S MUM

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Liked Mencheres in the Night Huntress series so was looking forward to this book. For me the love story just seemed to have no passion.
Published 16 months ago by Maz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5* Much, much better than Spade's tale, a great stop-gap before the next Cat and Bones one, 31 July 2010
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read everything this author has written, but was a tad disappointed with Spade's tale, as I didn't feel that Denise was worthy of his love, and I couldn't see the 'passion' that was supposed to have erupted between them, nor how or why Spade had apparently fallen so hard for her when she was still married, but it was ok. Oh, and the picture of Spade on the cover was hot, hot, hot.

This book was on a par with Cat and Bones for me, but it's hard to tell you why, as there isn't the same kind of action going on as with Cat and Bone tales, and there wasn't the angst or so much danger, but still it had something. Two very decent leads, and a great looking Mencheres on the cover (if you ignore the badly-faked drops of blood) are starts.

The book starts shortly after the last C&B one ends, with Mencheres having ventured incognito into a ghoul lair, whilst investigating the recent deaths of several vampires, and as he's masking his signature and strength, he feels pain and is overheard calling out by Kira, an ex-cop turned PI. Despite being unarmed, she goes to his help and is badly stabbed, so Mencheres is forced to reveal himself, his powers and has to use his vampire blood to save her life, but not convert her. The cops that Kira called are on their way, so after killing the ghouls, he flies the both of them off to his home, where he lets her recuperate, but also where he plans to wipe her mind of any memories of him and of her trauma. However, having given her his blood, his powers don't work, so he keeps her at his home for a week, and tries repeatedly to wipe her mind, but fails. And he also cannot read her mind or her thoughts, which hasn't ever happened to him before.

Kira is a feisty female lead, and tries to escape and when she comes across a naked Mencheres, she doesn't attempt to hide her interest in him, but before she can make a proper move on him, her sister's medical condition worsens and Mencheres flies them to her side. With the help of his blood, he stabilises her and leaves blood to be given to her in doses, allowing her to heal (he cannot cure her, as she has cystic fibrosis and is dying), but the price that he demands, and that Kira is more than willing to pay, is that she never speaks of what she witnessed and what happened to her.

Amongst all of this, Radjedef, a vampire 'police' type, who is Menchere's long-time foe, has been trying to frame Mencheres, and when he arrives at a scene where Kira has been exposed to more vampire stuff, he condemns her to death. It will be either him or Mencheres killing her, and so Mencheres volunteers to do so, but as the sire of a line himself, he has the right to bring her back to life, which he does. He then nurtures her through her blood-lust and change, and with her newfound sensibilities and clearer senses, Kira makes her move on her man. Yes, she gets her man, and as in all Jeaniene Frost novels, there is a HEA, but not before there are battles, trials and an enemy to vanquish.

Why did I like this book so much? Because of the way in which JF portrays Mencheres, who up until now, I hadn't really liked, but here we find out more about the man he was, the man he has become, his concern and protectiveness of his line and the people who serve him, his protectiveness of Kira and how he was prepared for her to hate him for turning her, despite him only doing this to save her life. I also loved how, when Kira made her move on him soon after her conversion, he gave her what her body needed, putting her first and not making love to her in the truest sense until she was completely clear in her own mind that this was what she wanted, and not an effect of the conversion. On the next time that they do come together, they are interrupted, but again, he puts her and her needs first, despite 900 years of celibacy. Despite his evil wife and her betrayal, Mencheres opens his heart to Kira, which I loved, as he could well have been cynical and have used her, and I also loved how Kira explained to him, without him first confessing his feelings for her, how and why she fell in love with him, reminding him that he did not need to be chivalrous and take his time, as even before her conversion she had made her attraction clear to him. This felt like a love story, and with leads who actually liked each other and were attracted to each other - we see this, rather than being told this, unlike in Spade and Denise's tale. This couple seemed more believable, and the love scenes, IMHO, were more tender, certainly hotter, and there for a visible reason and more realistic (with Spade and Denise, it felt as if love scenes were included just because readers expect them). Oh, and yes, we get to see Cat and Bones, and Vlad makes an appearance too (I wonder if he'll end up with a tale of his own).

The only bit in the book that I didn't like is the use of vampire names like Wraith, Flare and Patches (ok, Bones and Spade are along the same lines, but they are Brit vampires, and I can accept the touch of British eccentricity and we know that their backgrounds lead to their nicknames), as this was a touch of mimicking JR Ward for me (Rhage, Wrath, Tohrment etc.). That aside, this was an excellent book and we also get a brief clip of the next Cat and Bones tale, with the very first scene we see being one that makes you wish Feb 2011 was tomorrow instead of months away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Huntress World book 2, 25 Nov 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Mass Market Paperback)
Eternal Kiss of Darkness is the second book in the Night Huntress World series which is a spin off on the Night Huntress series starring Cat & Bones. Although the original series straddles the lines between paranormal romance and urban fantasy the spin off would definitely be classed as paranormal romance. Each book in this series features a different couple and allows us to get to know characters who have been on the sidelines in the previous series. I would recommend reading the original Cat & Bones series first because you may pick up some spoilers for it if you read the Night Huntress World books first but I am a massive fan of both series and Jeaniene Frost and would definitely recommend you give them a try.

Mencheres is a character that I've been curious about as we've come to know him in the Night Huntress series and I was looking forward to finding out more about his past in Eternal Kiss of Darkness. Some of the things he has done previously made me a little worried that I wasn't going to like him much but I'm happy to say I quickly grew to love him. He has lived for a long time and done things that he isn't proud of but it becomes clear that he has done it all with the best of intentions. He cares deeply for his friends and the vampires in his line and would go to any lengths to protect them. An old enemy is determined to hurt him and isn't above using members of Mencheres' line to do it, Mencheres is tired of life but has a plan to stop his enemy even if it does mean resorting to drastic measures.

Kira is a strong and likable heroine and one who is perfectly suited to Mencheres. She stumbles into his world by mistake when she tries to help him and ends up with a lot more than she'd bargained for. Both of the main characters have been through difficult times in their past but this only helps them understand each other better. Their attraction was instant but I also felt that Jeaniene Frost did a great job of making their relationship believable. Kira isn't the sort to sit back and let things happen to her, she is more than willing to stand up for herself which is something Mencheres finds very attractive. He is used to people falling at his feet and doing whatever he tells them to so it comes as quite a surprise to him to have someone talking back to him and actually telling him when he's wrong about something. Together they make a formidable couple and I almost like them as much as Cat and Bones which is a big compliment believe me.

Eternal Kiss of Darkness is definitely right up there with the Night Huntress books and I hope we get to see more of Mencheres and Kira in the future. I enjoyed seeing Cat, Bones and Vlad make appearances and I'm even more eager for Vlad's series and the next Cat & Bones books now! Jeaniene Frost remains on my "must read" list of authors and I'm very much looking forward to reading more of her books in the future. If you're new to her work then I'd highly recommend you give her a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the Night Huntress World Series, 31 Oct 2011
This book actually turned out even better than I thought it would. Cat and Bone's story obviously dominates the main series, but the story of Mencheres had to be told. I wasn't sure if it would be as good since the main character, Denise, for First Drop of Crimson was rather weak. Kira turned out to be made of tougher stuff and made a great heroine. She is perfect for Mencheres. Kira is not as violent as Cat, but she is perfectly capable of standing up for herself and sacrificing for others.

The action in the book keeps up a good tempo. The love scenes aren't as wild as Cat and Bones, but they do work well for this couple. The amount of power Mencheres has is much more prominent in this book than ever seen before which I thought was important. The story line also explains a lot more of his history which should be helpful as the main series continues. Anyone who has enjoyed the series up to this point should really appreciate this latest installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmm, 6 May 2014
One sexy Egyptian Vampire and a Human
What a combination!
So well written and again a forever favourite
So recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge by the cover!, 29 Mar 2014
The cover made me think this book was going to be a badly written boy meets girl novel, with fangs.
I was completely wrong. It is written well, by someone who is clearly a mature adult. Very refreshing for the paranormal romance genre.

I must admit, it took me the first couple of chapters to really get into it. I actually bought this about a year ago, and some months later thought I'd give it a go. Then in the first page or two there's mention of gouls and wierd names for characters. This put me off for yet more months, but I felt like it was time to just dive in and get it over with the other day. I don't like to have books only to never read them.
So I wasn't expecting to get as hooked on this as I did. I read it in just two days.

I haven't read anything else by this author. I have no clue about the night huntress series, or cat and bones, as other reviewers have mentioned.
It did not leave me feeling confused or out the loop at all. This can definitely be read as a stand alone book. It may even be preferable to not think of this as being one in a series, or a spin off or whatever. There's no need then to compare it to anything else or have certain expectations.
This is a solidly good book, in and of itself.

Full of love, action, drama, a touch of conspiracy and humour. Eternal Kiss of Darkness is a very compelling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awsome, 30 Dec 2013
Jeaniene Frost has over the last year become my favorite author. All the characters in the Night Huntress series, I have fallen in love with and can't wait to read more... Need Ian's story though Jeaniene ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 15 Oct 2013
I think jeaneine frost is one of the most exciting author's and every book is really good and keeps you reading none stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 10 Sep 2013
mary (perthshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this book as an audio book. It was great to listen to when i was in transit anywhere. Then i got it for my kindle because it meant I could read it anywhere. I have done this with all my Jeaniene Frost books. I think she is the best at what she does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great edition to Night Huntress World, 26 July 2013
This book was amazing, I loved the cat and bones books, but Jeaniene Frost has outdone herself again with this book. It also makes it interesting that the books talks about other characters that we all know and love from the Night Huntress series. This book gives you more about Mencheres background which we have not come across before and delves into his love life which we heard about very briefly in the Cat and Bones series. I loved Kira, the love interest, she was brave and strong and totally captivated by Mencheres, the sex scenes were hot and spicy and had me wanting more. The story had a great plot line all about how a man call Radjedef a man from Mencheres Egyptian past who is set on obtaining his powers which he believed belonged to him but instead was given to Mencheres by his sire Tenoch. The story was amazingly written and lives up to my expectations although I love the Night Huntress series better, this book is definitely on my best book list. Thank you Jeaniene Frost for writing this delicious book! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Mass Market Paperback)
I practically inhaled it, forgoing an early bedtime in my desire to keep reading about both Kira and Mencheres. I never thought I could like Mencheres is character but i was deadly wrong, Jeaniene Frost involves her readers so much more and you finally get to understand Mencheres. The night huntress world series is a must read for fans of the night huntress series. I only wished there was more books in the world series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Eternal Kiss of Darkness
Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost (Mass Market Paperback - 27 July 2010)
5.93