4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Inside
Published on 15 Jun 2011 by Pablo Cheesecake (The Eloquent...

3.0 out of 5 stars Horns. Meh.
The main character's long time girlfriend was raped and murdered, him being the only suspect but not convicted, though everyone in the community believes he killed her and got off due to his family's status. The story actually starts now a year later, when he wakes up after getting drunk, with horns and realises he is slowly turning into the devil with certain powers...
Published 3 months ago by elehn

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Inside, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: Horns (Paperback)
I think that Joe Hill has managed to tap into a genuine primal fear with this novel. What if you could read their minds with a single touch? Now part of you might be thinking, `this would be great'. But I'm going to have to disagree. Could there be anything worse than knowing exactly what the people around you think of you? I am sure the reality would be a lot like the situation depicted in Horns. You would immediately start to learn things that you just didn't ever want to know. I don't think it would take long to discover that underneath the thin veneer of society a lot of individuals are way freakier than they appear on the surface. Ig Perrish learns this the hard way as he descends into his own private hell. The good news is that the reader gets to follow him, every step of the way.

I should stress that it's not all doom and gloom though. There is some welcome dark humour particularly when Ig tries to master his new powers. He takes some amusing, if slightly petty, revenge against those that have slighted him in the past. I couldn't help but feel that all the various characters got exactly what they deserved in this regard. Almost without exception, everyone wants to see Ig just disappear, so it seems only fair that they get what is coming to them.

This is the first novel by Joe Hill that I have read and I was heartily impressed. The main protagonist is placed in a terrible situation and I was compelled to follow his journey. The novel is very dark but also surprisingly life affirming. There are some flashbacks that cover Ig's first meeting with Merrin and the beginning of their relationship. These add additional depth to the characters and made it easy to empathise with Ig's predicament.

At the novel's core this is a story about understanding the key components of relationships. The relationships between Ig and Merrin, Ig and his family, and Ig and his friend Lee are all examined as Ig is forced to confront the ugly truths in his life. Horns is an intimate story that provides fresh insight into the nature of love, longing, jealousy and revenge.

If you like the idea of giving Mr Hill's work a try you could do a lot worse than start here. On the strength of Horns I now look forward to picking up his other novels.

Phew! I managed to get through this entire review without mentioning Stephen King once.....oh damn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devilishly good!, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: Horns (Paperback)
Well I bought this on the recommendation of a friend. I knew nothing about it and didn't even read the blurb on the back of the book and I have to say, for me that is the way to read it!

It's a wonderful book from the very stylish and cool cover to the unpredictable and bonkers plot.

I will give nothing away other than to say pretty much anything can happen, the easily offended and possibly Daily Mail readers should steer a path round it! And it has :-

A Great story, lots of twists and turns, it's sad, funny, gripping and has a cast of great fully realised characters. It's not really a horror or ghost story...I don't quite know how to catagorise it in fact, and I'm not sure I need to. Just read it and see what you think.

I have read a few great books this year, The Brother's Grossbart and Killer of men to name two but this is right up with them. Joe Hill is an author to be watched and has a real gift for story. Enjoy the ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars Horns wow, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Horns (Kindle Edition)
This was amazing. Im a reader not a writer and therefore i dont have the words to put how i felt about this book into action. All i can say is how happy and refreshed i was after reading this incredible story. Its about time i found a new favourite writer and Joe Hill your now it. Keep writing. Going to start on Heart shaped box later, cant wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read - but not if you're prudish!, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: Horns (Paperback)
A great premise for a story and it didn't disappoint. I enjoyed this book it was well written, cleverly executed and relevant, and although the genre is horror there was also comedy, love, tragedy and mystery.

Joe Hill has an ability akin to his father - he makes you care about all the characters, and even when the antihero, Ig, did some questionable deeds I still found myself rooting for him all the way.

How often have I invested a lot of time and effort into a book only to be let down by a rushed, disappointing and unsatisfactory ending? Well not this time thank goodness, Mr Hill skillfully drew his characters to a very satisfying climax.

A warning - There are some rather graphic scenes both macabre and sexual in nature so if you are easily offended this book is not for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Has Never Been Prettier, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Horns (Kindle Edition)
For those who don’t know, Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King. And even though having a famous author for a father clearly helped Hill’s work gain extra exposure, that doesn’t detract from his obvious skills as a writer. If Heart-Shaped Box showed a debut author with flare, good humour, a twisted mind, and heaps of potential, then this novel solidifies him as a serious talent to keep an eye out for.

Horns is the story of Ignatius Perrish, a young man who wakes up one morning with a hangover, horns on his head, and the ability to hear people’s deepest, most evil thoughts, with just a touch of their skin. And even if he doesn’t touch them, they tell him their sins anyway, unknowingly pouring out their darkest desires to him. He doesn’t want to know, they don’t want to tell him, and yet it happens.

I want to screw my daughter.
I’m attracted to dogs.
I punch my wife in the ribs when no one’s around.
I defecated on my boss’s car last Christmas.

The confessions stream out, and at first, the story follows Ig on his journey, from house to house, person to person, following him as he comes to terms with this painful—but hilarious for us—power he’s been cursed with. Or maybe it’s a gift, something he soon realises: a way for him to finally uncover the truth of his girlfriend’s rape and murder. Ig has been suspect numero uno for as long as anyone remembers, and despite the case being thrown out of court due to a lack of evidence (it was all burned up), the town still thinks he did it. They know he did, and they hate him. And so using his newfound curse/gift, Ig is able to find out some answers and eventually piece together the sick and twisted puzzle of his girlfriend’s murder, which ultimately leads to a big showdown and a satisfying ending.

And aside from the initial concept (which probably started off as a cute idea for a short story that gradually developed into something bigger), the novel itself is packed with so much more than just a gimmick: it’s the perfect onion novel. Every time you think you know about a character, or a scene, Hill peels away another layer to reveal a different facet to the story. Layer upon layers are stripped as each chapter progresses, twisting the plot in multiple directions, and drawing the reader in deeper to Hill’s beautifully drawn world of darkness and fire.

The writing is strong throughout, the dialogue sharp and witty, the plot well-thought out and executed, and the themes of redemption and the power of sin are all intricately woven into the text, neither feeling obtrusive, forced, or preachy.

If the book is any indicator of Hill’s future, then I imagine he’ll soon become just as big and successful as his father, both with critics and fans alike.

And rightfully so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful Writing, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Horns (Kindle Edition)
Joe Hill is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors. His excellent Heart-Shaped Box set the bar high, but Horns is better in every way. Horns is a story that will stay with you long after you turn the last page. The characters are vibrant and original, with Hill lending the perfect blend to every player which makes you care about them and root for them. I found the final part of this story to be slightly weaker than the rest, but in no way was it poor. Anything less than five stars for this novel wouldn't be doing justice. Read this story and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peppermint Patricia, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Horns (Kindle Edition)
Loved it and loved it. Picked this because I had read Heart Shaped Box a long time ago and when I got my kindle fire I looked up Mr Hill. I found Horns as brilliant as Heart Shaped. Funny, smart, entertaining, uplifting even. Totally enjoyable and I am a fan of the talented Mr Hill for always. Enjoy this story for what it is please which is magic. More please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely great, 28 May 2013
J fryer (buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horns (Kindle Edition)
Not really the kind of book I read but loved it. Great story very funny and very sad. Next please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story! No spoilers in review., 5 May 2013
This review is from: Horns (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to read this as I was in dire need of a good spooky story and I wasn't disappointed. Great and unusual idea for a book. A man wakes up after a night of heavy drinking and discovers he has grown a pair of horns which seem to influence people to reveal their deepest darkest desires and when he touches them he knows every sin they have ever committed. Ig Perrish has a traumatic history, being suspected of raping and murdering his true love, Mirren, but he soon discovers that his new horns could help him solve the mystery of who really killed her. A great story which kept my interest throughout and I found myself going to bed early just so I could pick up my Kindle again. Very reminiscent of the type of stories Joe Hill's Dad, Stephen King, would write and I just hope that Joe keeps on writing them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be ig-nored, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Horns (Paperback)
Joe Hill has produced a brilliantly crafted anti-hero in the character of Ig.

Firstly I would recommend this as summer reading prior to the release of the film adaptation.
We follow Ig's metamorphosis from messed-up twenty-something in to something well a little bit more devilish .

There are elements of horror and dark fantasy to the story but also at the middle there is also a big big heart.

Mix in some well written comedic moments and some lovingly written musically references and you will find a book that you may well want to start all over again once you've read the last page.

Horns
Horns by Joe Hill (Paperback - 16 Feb 2010)
27.54