5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!
The book was really good. It was much better than I thought it was going to be and I can't wait for the second one.
Published on 18 July 2009 by Lou H

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute easy read
I never used to watch 'The Hills' but i knew who Lauren Conrad was and i was curious to see if she could actually write, it was an ok read, very simple and very pop culture. I liked the storyline but it was too simply written, but i did buy the following 2 books to see what would happen. Overall i would recommend this to all teenage girls who love reality tv or are...
Published on 20 Dec. 2010 by AniAnhai

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 18 July 2009
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
I spent a lot of the book trying to match the characters in the book to those of the real life series of 'The Hills'. Some were obvious, where as others appeared to be missing. However, it is a fiction book and not a written down version of the real events, I must remember to tell myself that!!

It was very well written and gave a fasinating insight into the 'behind the scenes' stuff that we don't ever see on screen.

I loved how the book ended on a cliff hanger which will link nicely into number 2. If you're not sure whether to buy it, i'd say, Go for it! You won't regret it!

Probably not suitable for young teens due to some adult content.

5.0 out of 5 stars L.A Candy, 2 Aug. 2009
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
This is a really good book. if you have followed Lauren Conrad on The Hills and you want to know all the things you didnt see on the series it is in this book for sure! Although Lauren Conrad says this book is fiction, you can just tell she took a lot of the ideas from her life in The Hills! A must have for your summer holidays!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars LA Candy, 27 Feb. 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When Jane Roberts moves to LA with best friend Scarlett, the last thing they expect is to be offered the chance to star in reality TV show LA Candy. Particularly when the only reason they moved to LA was so Jane could fulfill her dream of working as an event planner and so Scarlett could go to USC. As LA Candy becomes a hit, Jane and Scarlett find themselves in the spotlight more than ever and it seems that the celebrity lifestyle isn't all it's cracked up to be. Especially when LA Candy co-stars Madison and Gaby start angling for Jane's starring role - it turns out Madison will stop at nothing to destroy Jane, but just how far will she have to go?

The book caught my attention pretty much from the off. It begins just before Jane and Scarlett get the chance to star in LA Candy and we learn why they came to LA in the first place. It oversees their transition from regular human beings into the hottest stars on the hottest TV show. The way Jane and Scarlett are found by Trevor, the exec-producer of LA Candy, is relatively unbelieveable but since this is Hollywood, I suppose anything could happen so the outrageous-ness just made it all the better. As the book is told from the third person point of view, we manage to see what's happening at all times with everyone involved in LA Candy. The majority of the book is told from Jane's point of view but it does switch to Scarlett, Trevor and others at random intervals. To see everything unfold without Jane knowing about it was very clever but also made me feel incredibly sneaky for knowing what was going on without Jane knowing!

I really enjoyed reading LA Candy and I can see it has wide appeal. It was published by HarperTeen which tells me that it's aimed more at teenagers than adults but adults can very easily read LA Candy and enjoy it. I can fully recommend LA Candy and I can also admit that I was totally wrong about Lauren Conrad. No she's not Sophie Kinsella but she's written a very enjoyable book about what it's like to star in a reality TV series and I really loved reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Fans Of "The Hills", 13 July 2010
M. Vosper (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
I originally bought this book because I am a fan of Lauren Conrad and have been since her Laguna Beach days. I wasn't expecting too much from it but got a pleasant surprise. The story is very addictive and if you like shows like "The Hills" this will be right up your alley. However if you are not interested in reality TV, I would deter you from buying this as it is quite fast paced and therefore lacks depth.

The writing style is quite basic and hence somewhat of a distraction but it is intended for a younger audience so it is to be expected. Still, as someone in her twenties I found it to be an enjoyable read despite this.

This book is a lot more fictious than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting characters to be a lot more similar to real life, as they were for example in Nicole Ritchie's The Truth About Diamonds. In reality I think people have been blended together and changed somewhat to make the characters although there are obvious influences from people we have seen on The Hills and things that we have read about Lauren et al in the press. Originally I found this a negative point as I was hoping for some juicy gossip about the real life stars but in the end I found the story and the characters to be well-rounded and interesting enough to keep me reading.

I think this book is fanastic for young adult readers and older adult readers for that matter! However, I would warn you that if you are thinking of buying this for a young teen there is use of bad language and themes of promiscuous sex and underage drinking.

This novel is entertaining, exciting and fun. It is perfect for a relaxing afternoon of reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 13 Jan. 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This novel by reality TV starlet Lauren Conrad chronicles the lives of Jane Roberts and her best friend, Scarlett Harp, as they move to LA and become the stars of a reality TV show. The book, which is based loosely on Conrad's own life, is a little slow in the beginning, but picks up a bit once Jane and Scarlett are discovered at a club by a TV producer.

From that point on the two, though a little hesitant at first, decide to audition for the show and their lives change drastically.

While Jane takes to the cameras being around easily, Scarlett is not so excited and wonders what she got herself into. Throw into the mix two other cast members, Gaby, a total ditz, and Madison, a total witch with a nice girl facade, and things get even more complicated.

When Jane starts dating Jesse, who happens to be the best friend of her friend-slash-major crush, Braden, things spiral out of control quickly and the jealousy of someone Jane thought she could trust ruins her life in an instant.

With lots of run-of-the-mill Hollywood cliches (blondes, drugs, cosmetic surgery, etc), L.A. CANDY almost fails to deliver an original storyline. In addition, in pretty much every single chapter, Jane and her friends are drinking (usually vodka soda for Jane) making it seem to the unknowing person who has never been to LA that you can't have any fun in Tinseltown without being drunk.

It is a quick and light read that would be great for the beach or a day when you don't need any actual depth in what you're reading. However, the ending is a cliffhanger and leaves you wanting to know what happens to Jane next.

Reviewed by: Angela S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading!, 17 Jun. 2009
J. M. S. Ferreras (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a present for my sister. I though it might be good for her to start reading books in english and improve her level. She has been a fan of Lauren since "Laguna Beach" so obviously she really enjoyed the book.., I picked it up to peruse it and I couldn't put it down, it was interesting to know all the "trash" behind the cameras, what it takes to make a reality show...how everything is set, produced and planned.
Worth reading! ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 21 Aug. 2009
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
This book is an easy read, I read it in one sitting. The writing is good, you are able to get a picture of things without long drawn out descriptions. You will love it if you are a fan of The Hills or not. If you are a fan you'll be trying to see which character is which girl from the show plus it is a good insight into how the 'feud' would have come about with Lauren & Heidi. There are times though that I thought the main character Jane was a bit annoying but it didn't take away from the book at all. It does end on a bit of a cliffhanger that does make you want to reach for the second book but its not that exciting and you'll forget about it 2 mins after putting the book down
All in all I would recommend the book for when you're sipping a cocktail sitting by the pool

4.0 out of 5 stars A realistic view of LA., 11 Jun. 2012
I am extremely sceptical about whether Lauren Conrad actually wrote this book. I can smell the distinct whiff of a ghost writer, because the story is really enjoyable and well written. Knowing that Lauren Conrad was a reality TV star herself who moved from Laguna Beach to L.A, I can't help but imagine the story is based on aspects of her real life, although she has always denied it and I would probably hazard a guess at her heavy involvement in the story process, helping to developing the story idea. But whether or not she actually wrote it, I really don't know. Having said that, I did really like this book. It was an easy read, with a page turning quality where I found myself whizzing through the pages rather quickly. It reminded of the 80's bonk busting books by Jackie Collins but without all the sex.
I wasn't surprised that this book hit the New York Times Bestseller list, as I could envisage young tweenies practically hyperventilating at the thought of the story. Isn't it nearly every young girl's dream to go to L.A. and become instantly famous? It was most certainly mine at that age, and I found myself tingling with excitement as I read the book.
Don't expect to see just the glamour and sparkle of Tinseltown; within this story, you also get to see the downside of fame in L.A. The way your life becomes public property and everyone wants to be your friend just because you are famous. I would hate to discover stories about my life being misconstrued and interpreted wrongly, so I found myself really connecting very easily with the main character Jane Roberts. She appeared quite innocent through out the book and very naive to the events occurring around her.
I loved Braden! He is definitely a character I want to know more about. He oozed charisma and hotness! Scarlett was an interesting character as she struggled to live under the spot light - everything about he show seemed to go against her beliefs. Madison was a real bitch, definitely stepped straight out of the evil section of the Californian Who's Who.
I think what I really loved about this book, was the setting. The author really brought the place alive, with descriptions of such holy destination as The Ivy and Melrose Avenue! I was in my element - these are places I can only dream of visiting.
There are two other books in this series and after reading the first, I am really interested in reading the next, as the book ends on a bit of a cliff hanger. I need to find out what happens next. An excellent summer read, ideal for the beach and definitely one for those star struck teens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first attempt, 28 Jan. 2011
E. Collins (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a little older than the usual demographic for 'The Hills'. But I enjoyed the show in particular because it was a great retrospective learning experience for me to see how self-esteem and confidence issues affect young women. No matter how pretty or privileged they are. Sounds lame, but that was really what attracted this 44 year old to the show. As I watched various episodes I recall thinking to myself that I wish shows like this had been around when I was a late teen, so I could see what young men are really thinking, and how young women with plenty going for them should (or shouldn't) deal with boys, popularity, friendship, conflict, etc.

I always believed that of the Hills girls, Lauren, Lo and at times Whitney showed themselves to be 3 girls with good heads on their shoulders. In particular Lauren who somehow managed to maintain some 'emotional grounding' while she navigated the heavily smoke screened world of LA and Hollywood. I was keen to read her first novel in the hopes that it continued in the vein of Lauren's grounding in The Hills.

I'm happy to see that Lauren can in fact write quite well. She did a great job bringing the characters of Jane and Scarlett to life. As I was reading I began to picture the 2 main characters quite clearly in my mind. And I think Lauren anticipated their responses to situations very accurately too... of course, it's no surprise that Lauren can create good characters. She is a sensitive and perceptive person - a solid pairing of character traits for a writer.

I was slightly disappointed in the storyline. It began well, but once the LA Candy machine began running, I believe the plot started to wobble a little. Plus, ending the book like an episode of a TV serial seemed the lazy option. One of the biggest challenges for a novelist is to create the perfect ending after nearly 100,000 words of storyline. A great ending is very rewarding for the reader, a bit like getting 'closure' after a complex romantic relationship.

Whilst I recognise that the ending was designed to attract the reader to Lauren's next novel, in a way I think it may have achieved the opposite in many cases. I believe a book ending that leaves the reader with a contented sigh, is what also leaves the reader wishing the book hadn't ended yet. The perfect first package will cause the reader to seek out another perfect second package.

However, for a young girl who is by now accustomed to being the centre of attention, I do believe Lauren has once again demonstrated that she was paying attention to her world, and I look forward to each of her books in the future becoming a stronger testiment to her perceptive sensitive nature and writing ability.

I am hoping actually that some of Lauren's future books deal with Audrina and Heidi-type issues, some of the most common dilemmas for young women. For example, how much of herself should a young woman give up for a boy before she begins to lose her identity, grounding, etc? How does a young woman in a competitive environment make the distinction between tag-alongs and real friendship? Where is the line drawn in the sand between making the most of youth and beauty, and just getting used up by the Hollywood machine?

A good first book, that I think would best suit the 15-25 year old. There are some references to sex, alcohol and other issues more suitable for the older reader, but nothing graphic, and no more than most young people are exposed to on a daily basis anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars L.A. Candy: Fame's hidden dark side, 28 Feb. 2010
A. Allard - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.A. Candy (Hardcover)
L.A. Candy is a fact-based fictional novel that gripped me right from the first chapter. It is written by a truly inspirational young woman - the multi-talented Lauren Conrad, who knows all too well what it is like to come to fame.

The novel explores the issue of reality television: how young people can become seduced by the glitz and glamour, not knowing what it is actually like to have cameras following your every action, the destructive side to love and the effects of betrayal. All four of the girls that this story follows are oblivious to the negative impacts that starring in a reality TV show will have on their social lives and indeed each other, and as the story unfolds the motives of one girl, fuelled by jealousy, become frighteningly clear.

The moral of the story is: fame may be something money cannot buy, but even then it comes at a price. I think that is a fantastic message to send out as we live in a world where young people are shaped by (sometimes false) role models, made naïve by airbrushed photos and the hidden dark side to fame.

I only had one unanswered question in mind at the end but it is not that important to the storyline (I will not say what it was as it would be a spoiler). There is a very engaging storyline throughout. L.A. Candy looks to be part one of three. It is followed by Sweet Little Lies and another will follow that later in the year. I look forward to reading the next one!

Overall: 93%.

L.A. Candy
L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad (Hardcover - 15 July 2009)