4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Victorian romance, 22 Dec. 2009
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James) (Mass Market Paperback)
Despite the rather misleading title (our hero isn't a scoundrel and there aren't that many midnight pleasures), I found this a very enjoyable book. What I liked was that the romance wasn't spoiled by big misunderstandings or other awkward plot devices to keep hero and heroine apart; instead hero and heroine are together, although they both know there may not be a future for them.

Our heroine, Eleanor Watkins, is planning to avenge her sister's death by killing the man who shamed her sister, causing her to commit suicide. However Eleanor needs to stalk Lord Rockberry to find the opportune time to kill him - but she senses that she is being stalked too. The man following her turns out to be Inspector James Swindler, an honourable and successful police detective. James is surprised he's been given such an unimportant job, that of shadowing the young woman, but once he meets her properly his interest is piqued.

When Rockberry is killed it seems that more secrets are being revealed, secrets that both of them have and that explain their actions, but can their love survive?

Hero and heroine in this book are both very appealing characters. I liked the way the author gradually revealed James's history so we began to understand him more. I also liked the clever plot twist in the middle of the story which was quite unexpected but worked well. There were a few other twists in the storyline which kept it an interesting read and the characterisation of the grieving sister and of James was believable. This is a very worthwhile book for those who like light romances.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 14 Feb. 2010
I have enjoyed reading this series so selecting this one was pretty easy. The storyline was good as were the characters. Nothing too taxing but kept my attention throughout. I look forward to Graves' story.

My one gripe is with the publisher: what are you thinking with this cover? A scantily dressed woman on the front and a half naked pair on the back. If I hadn't wanted this book, and could also order it from Amazon, there is no way I would have bought it on the high street. Even buying it online I would hesitate: this cover is not the type you would want to be seen outside with. Get your act together please and become more in tune with your readers.

Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James)
Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James) by Lorraine Heath (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Nov. 2009)