4.0 out of 5 stars He's certainly dangerous
Review taken from my Blog Post (#68) in January 2011, after borrowing from the library.

Published on 29 Mar. 2013 by Toodles Book Club

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing follow-on from the first book
Published on 12 Aug. 2010 by K.E.B

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing follow-on from the first book, 12 Aug. 2010
As much as I hate to admit it, this second book in the Inferno Club series was a slight disappointment. Now don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed reading it and it is by no means a bad book. However, after being blown away by the first book in the series, `My Wicked Marquess', I was expecting a similar effect with this one but I'm afraid to say it did not happen. Yes, there is romance and yes, there is a lot of sexual passion but somehow it still did not live up to the high expectations created by the first book.

Whilst `My Wicked Marquess' featured Max Rotherstone and his journey to finding love, this book is centred around Rohan Kilburn, a deadly assassin of the Order. Having convinced himself he is not worthy of love, the Duke has only ever had physical relationships with women. That is until a young virgin named Kate Madsen is brought to him by smugglers as a `bed-warming gift'. Kate, having been abducted from her lonely home in Dartmoor certainly does not intend to let herself be deflowered by the frightening duke. And rather than act the weak, submissive victim Kate proves herself to be strong, intelligent and brave. As the story progresses it appears that Kate and Rohan have been brought together by destiny but will destiny tear them apart again? As Kate and Rohan set out to unlock the secrets of their past, I was reminded of Indiana Jones and his female assistant cracking codes and raiding tombs. Read the book and you'll understand what I mean.

The storyline is exciting and full of unpredictable twists but it is no way as romantic as the one in the first book. But perhaps I am just being too much of a harsh critic. Or perhaps the Marquess of Rotherstone set the bar too high for the Duke to follow.

There were times when I found the exchange between Kate and Rohan rather cheesy (please excuse my use of adjective) and Rohan's lustful hunger, quite unromantic. Whilst in the previous book my frustration had been felt towards Daphne, the female protagonist, this time it was the Duke who earned my frustrated cries. On a number of occasions I found him cold-hearted, stubborn and aloof, which only increased my sympathy towards Kate.

Although this book did not quite live up to my expectations, I would still certainly recommend that you read it and judge for yourself. I confess I am guilty of having very selective taste when it comes to romantic books and I daresay you will enjoy it immensely and find it faultless. I only hope the third book will fulfil my wild fantasies of chivalrous gentlemen, sexual passion and captivating romance, just as the first one did.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's certainly dangerous, 29 Mar. 2013

Rohan Kilburn, Duke of Warrington,has a formidable and rugged presence, lives in a brooding and reputedly haunted castle in Cornwall. Added to that he bears the nickname "The Beast", and is a top assassin for the Order. Any woman that has ever known him, and there have been legions of them, will also attest to another reason he is called "The Beast". He is immune to love for all that.

After many years away serving the needs of the Order, he returns to Kilburn Castle to bring his errant tenants back into line. To appease The Beast they give him a present of a beautiful young woman ..... to warm his bed.

Kate Maden is definitely no harlot, but an innocent victim of a kidnapping plot by the Prometheans. She's shy and intelligent with a fiery temper and beguiling eyes.

They have to work together to solve the reason behind her kidnap, defeat the evil Promethean scum, find the Alchemist's Tomb and unravel the truth behind the curse of the Dukes of Warrington, all of which could destroy them both.

Before long attraction ignites and there is a rush against time to shatter the curse so that they can be together.

I didn't feel that this second book in the Inferno Club series quite met the delights of the first one, but it came very close nonetheless. All in all a 4 Star read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed It, 6 Feb. 2012
Tracy Mc (Newcastle England) - See all my reviews
I finished the 1st book then went straight onto the 2nd book which i really enjoyed aswell, however it does get a bit boring when the strory goes into depth about The Order of St Michael & The Promethians, still worth a read though.

However, i don't think there are sharks off the coast of Scotland!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconvincing and Static!, 31 July 2010
As one of the redeeming features in the largely inconsequential 'My Wicked Marquess', Rohan has unfortunately failed to live up to his promise in this book. I have the distinct feeling that Gaelen Foley has 'lost her way' in this genre somewhat or perhaps just lost a little interest. When compared to some of her previous gems, (Princess, Knights Miscellany et al) this is something of a disappointment. It fits the basket of her latter books (Spice Trilogy, My Dangerous Duke etc.) which are simply not that convincing.

Although Rohan's character is sporadically formed throughout the novel, he is at heart your typically handsome alpha male though Foley can't quite make up her mind it seems as to how exactly she wishes to portray him. In her efforts to progress the typical romantic cliche of him imagining himself to be unloveable, she renders this potentially attractive character into an uninteresting one. In fact his character is eventually completely lost and as a reader, one has little interest in him towards the end. Bearing in mind his key role in the narrative, this is pretty disastrous, to say the least!

It's plain to see that Ms Foley's blueprint for this story was 'Beauty and the Beast', as per the Disney cartoon as opposed to the original fairytale. The 'beast' in this case being equally beautiful if not more so than the heroine. The heroine herself, Kate is simply completely unconvincing in terms of her situation and background. In fact the whole scenario in this book is ludicrous, which would be fine if the author could convey it with conviction but Foley however, is so obviously aware of the flimsiness of her ridiculous plotline,which borrows inconvincingly from so many other novels/films (Da Vinci Code, Indiana Jones, Beauty & the Beast....etc.), that the said conviction is lacking in the extreme.

I have to confess I found myself 'skimming' the last third of the book as it seemed I, in allegiance with the author, had simply 'lost my way' also.

A Gaelen Foley fan will possibly find something to like in this book if prepared to read it without comparing it to her best as it has (very) fleeting glimpses of Foley's true ability and a new reader may well enjoy it generally and therefore find her best books brilliant but either way, it's simply 'not good enough' from this particular author who most certainly can do a lot better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent read!, 5 Nov. 2014
I throughly enjoyed the first of The Inferno Club series, and this lived up to my hopes and expectations. Paying homage to Indiana Jones My Dangerous Duke is full of adventure, heartache, romance and steamy love scenes. It also sets you up for the next book without leaving you feeling unfulfilled. I'd recommend to anyone who loves a good regency romance but wants a different take on the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe read 2 before 1, 6 July 2014
Heather Saggers "englishrose850" (broxbourne, herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have read the book in the wrong order, i read this before the first. Might be a mistake or might of been good judging on some on these comments. I thought it was well written and i enjoyed the story, it was different. Not the best i have read but i really did enjoy it. And now i cannot wait to read number 1 now or any of the others

1.0 out of 5 stars My Dangerous Duke (Inferno Club), 16 July 2010
I bought this book after seeing it advertised on a publishers website who published other authors I read which I enjoyed greatly, so I trusted the publishers judgement on this writer and decided to give it a go as I was looking for something new to read, however, this particular author disappointed me greatly!!

The story line had some potential, but after reading a couple of chapters i grew increasingly bored, fustrated and irritated that there was nothing gritty in the story telling. I was expecting alot better!!

One of the main characters is a female called Kate who apparently has a strong fighting spirit, couldnt be more wrong!! She was boring as hell!!

The other main character, The Dangerous Duke, didnt get into any danger, except for cutting himself with his cheesy lines. I didnt see his arrogant moody side that often, but then he also shows his sensitive side and the Duke got boring as hell!!

The chemistry between the two characters didnt work for me and put the book down and didnt finish it. Not worth the buy in the first place and won't buy Inferno Club series either.

One other reader gave this a five star rating, I'm baffled as to why?? The main story telling is set in a castle and there the characters remained for most of the chapters, there was no adventure, no fun, no excitement, where has the imagination gone??

Not even sure it was worth one star, I want my money back!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Opps, 15 Dec. 2013
Not as good as the first book, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think I found the idea of the Inferno club vs. the evil Promethean too difficult to be believable. While I normally rate Ms Foleys' writing highly, this story just did not do anything for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unforgiveably poor writing standards!, 1 Aug. 2010
Ms Foley what has happened? What era are you writing in? It is certainly not regency! Far too many thoughtless americanisms,glaring examples of language found in modern day language, sloppy work from the editorial department.As I dont want to ramble, the customer reviewer loupop summarised issues very nicely,it seems quality writing is going down the gurgler and mass market mills and boon is the go.Sorry to say very disappointing,from an author who was fresh and original in her research and plots.That's another author off my reading list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 April 2012
This review is from: My Dangerous Duke (Mass Market Paperback)
Brilliant book I love the series well written with all the things every girl needs Love violence mistakes and a happy ending that leads on to the next

My Dangerous Duke
My Dangerous Duke by Gaelen Foley (Mass Market Paperback - 29 Jun. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01