5.0 out of 5 stars Genomic Revolution, 30 Sep 2011
We are living through revolutionary times for decoding our genome: the methods of identifying the DNA sequences in our chromosomes have improved out of all recognition , so exposing many defects along the chains. Dr Collins is one of the best placed authors to chart the revolution since he himself helped identify the critical defects causing cystic fibrosis. There are now many such Mendelian diseases now identified with specific DNA defects, allowing precise medical intervention for those affected. Drugs can be targeted to alleviate those conditions, allowing patients to live longer and more rewarding lives despite their problems. It is inevitable that the book should include details of the way the DNA is constructed and interpreted by body mechanisms, with vey herlpful diagrams of the molecular changes which occur during cell growth. This work is by far the best on the market, and from an expert in the field, which makes it doubly interesting for his insight into the future of medicine. The work examines genetic counselling, but is perhaps a little short on the rapidly growing field of ageing research, and for the genes which control how cells age and die. We can expect more from this distinguished author!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book in the world, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine (Hardcover)
I don't quite know where to start. This is just an awesome, informative book. I have now ordered all of Francis Collins' other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A groundbreaking book, 2 Jan 2012
G. R. Hunt "Geoffrey Hunt" (High Wycombe, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a must-have book for me; in fact, I want it on my Kindle as well as the physical book itself, which I already own. I just hope that the Kindle version is well indexed; sadly, many Kindle books are not.
The book is written by one of the world's top scientists, but he has the ability to communicate easily with most everyone by using real-life stories. It was a pleasure and a revelation to read and, for my family's sake, I need to follow up on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rivetting unravelling, 4 Jun 2010
B. Wensworth "Bibliophile" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
An amazing book which put so many pieces of the DNA jigsaw into one whole which made sense. If you want to look into the future of medicine this is the place to look. Unputdownable book, very well written indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalised Medicine, 4 Jan 2011
I enjoy this subject matter and got this book quite a while ago so can't remember all the particulars, but I'm sure I enjoyed it & the ability to get such books via Amazon on line. I do not always enjoy having to fill out reviews on each purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars science, technique... but also business, 22 Jun 2011
Carlos Vazquez Quintana "cvq" (Linares- Spain) - See all my reviews
Dr. Francis Collins does here a good divulgation of the essential of Clinical Genetics. Perhaps it's not the best, but understandable.
The problem I see, is some companies have commercialized genetic services. I tried and I think the problem with this is the USA, yes, is the cradle of many scientific and medical advances, but also as important as that is the American ability to do business with almost everything and sell products to many people, in the USA and abroad, and these I think aren't all fully probed or reliable.
And there are some danger to people not prepared to know some details I think not so accurate about his DNA, and furthermore one of these products can be the sale of the idea of God. It's clear you can buy or not, but that merchandise has repeatedly sold during centuries with different envelopes and merchandising.
For me, let God in one side and science in another. That mixture has proven repeatedly been a bad attempt.

The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine
The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine by Francis S. Collins (Hardcover - 5 Jan 2010)
Used & New from: 2.78